Sound proofing inline fan

Looking for ideas to make my inline fan much quieter. Since I shortened my ducting, it seems to have got noisier than usual. I’m assuming because it is putting out more air quicker.

I tried to put it inside a cardboard box with some foil inside it (don’t have acoustic foam around just yet).. but doesn’t seem to be any noise reduction.

Has anyone dealt with this without using a duct silencer, insulated ducting, or a different fan.

Looking for as much ideas as possible. I don’t have wood around to build a wooden box yet but the chances are I will get a hold of wood soon and build a wooden one with foam inside.

I will also be purchasing insulated ducting soon too.

But any ideas on a temporary sound proofing box will be gratefully appreciated

Like everyone said, insulated ducting is your best bet. As far as the fan, you could try mass loaded vinyl tape or sheet good. I specializd in high end historic home renovations and use it to wrap existing plumbing to mitigate the noise. Could increase the temp of your fan motor, but seems it wouldn't be that much. Can get pricey, but you would't need much

Like everyone said, insulated ducting is your best bet. As far as the fan, you could try mass loaded vinyl tape or sheet good. I specializd in high end historic home renovations and use it to wrap existing plumbing to mitigate the noise. Could increase the temp of your fan motor, but seems it wouldn't be that much. Can get pricey, but you would't need much
Yeah I got insulated ducting earlier. Reduces the noise a bit. Gonna have to buy some wire cutters tomorrow to cut the ducting down and ship through those annoying wires

I have used one of theses in the past and it worked well.

2021-12-17_14-19-24.jpg

Back