Sound proofing inline fan

MrAutoGrower

Learning as I grow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
3Wok OG
Looking for ideas to make my inline fan much quieter. Since I shortened my ducting, it seems to have got noisier than usual. I’m assuming because it is putting out more air quicker.

I tried to put it inside a cardboard box with some foil inside it (don’t have acoustic foam around just yet).. but doesn’t seem to be any noise reduction.

Has anyone dealt with this without using a duct silencer, insulated ducting, or a different fan.

Looking for as much ideas as possible. I don’t have wood around to build a wooden box yet but the chances are I will get a hold of wood soon and build a wooden one with foam inside.

I will also be purchasing insulated ducting soon too.

But any ideas on a temporary sound proofing box will be gratefully appreciated

Looking for ideas to make my inline fan much quieter. Since I shortened my ducting, it seems to have got noisier than usual. I’m assuming because it is putting out more air quicker.

I tried to put it inside a cardboard box with some foil inside it (don’t have acoustic foam around just yet).. but doesn’t seem to be any noise reduction.

Has anyone dealt with this without using a duct silencer, insulated ducting, or a different fan.

Looking for as much ideas as possible. I don’t have wood around to build a wooden box yet but the chances are I will get a hold of wood soon and build a wooden one with foam inside.

I will also be purchasing insulated ducting soon too.

But any ideas on a temporary sound proofing box will be gratefully appreciated
I bought those insulating ducts and It insulates not only thermallu speaking but also noise-wise.
Here a picture
Edit:Of course buying fan with insulated motors with rubber spacers Is the go for win win

Attachments

• 16397531116934300881527487792501.jpg
    16397531116934300881527487792501.jpg
    742.4 KB · Views: 16
I’ve put my fan inside a cardboard box with an old duvet inside it. It defo helps.

But just realised most of my noise now comes from the ducting that goes through my wall.

Gonna have to buy insulated ducting for sure

I was going to suggest a cardboard box with expanding foam filler & yes insulated ducting for sure.

The only thing with the foam filler is that it REALLY sticks to the fan & you'll never get it off - unless you pre-wrap the fan with some plastic wrapping before doing it.

Just got a hold of insulated ducting. Will update this thread soon with results
Just wanted to suggest longer ducting, the longer you pull out the standard stuff the higher the vibrations on the ducting gets and the noisier it gets.
Isolated ducting is also a good noise killer :thumbsup:

Just wanted to suggest longer ducting, the longer you pull out the standard stuff the higher the vibrations on the ducting gets and the noisier it gets.
Isolated ducting is also a good noise killer :thumbsup:
The longer the ducting the slower the air movement though. Do u know if it’s cut ok to insulated ducting?

Last edited:
The longer the ducting the slower the air movement though. Do u know if it’s ok to insulated ducting?
What insulated ducting Will do Is the same concept of gun suppressor,the material that Is inside the aluminum coating Will absorb vibrations and the sound Will dissipate and propagate inside the foam,so,basically,of you buy an insulated One It Will not be necessary to cut It too long already.

What insulated ducting Will do Is the same concept of gun suppressor,the material that Is inside the aluminum coating Will absorb vibrations and the sound Will dissipate and propagate inside the foam,so,basically,of you buy an insulated One It Will not be necessary to cut It too long already.
Sorry, Just realised I didn’t include the word “cut” in My other post. Spell check is a pain in the ass on this site using my iPhone. I need to cut it shorter. It’s too long for my closet lol

Sorry, Just realised I didn’t include the word “cut” in My other post. Spell check is a pain in the ass on this site using my iPhone. I need to cut it shorter. It’s too long for my closet lol
Mine Is very short,should do the trick as well, it's less than 50 cm

Back