Some advice needed from advanced breeders

Reaction score
Hi, i could use some answers to more advanced questions and any sort of tips in this breeding mission im about to continue.

So i recently bought a tent and want to continue some small breeding projects i had like 12 years ago. Im about to try some advanced stuff i havent done before, so i could use some help. Also since knowledge about breeding is A LOT deeper nowadays(especially whats available in public) than what it used to be and my aim was more in breeding in just autoflowering in auto x photo hybrids, my grow setup was really small so i didnt even have room to make any proper selection, but other people did most of the work with the seeds before i continued them for 1 or 2 generations.

I now have the last seed of a line growing i want to continue a low ryder mixed with local legendary outdoor sativa F2 which is mixed one generation with (low ryder x northern lights) F3 x (low ryder x matanuska tundra) F3 male. I call this mix Morty. This last one of morty has the same strawberry scent in it than its mother had. Naturally i havent had the chance to smell its buds, but i took off a yellowed leaf and the fresh insides has that scent, you can also smell it when you rub the stem and leafs, let the initial basic stem smell go away for a couple of secs and there is that strawberry scent. I want to maintain this so so nice strawberry scent, especially if the buds also smell like it like mortys mother did.
- How does the heritability of terpene profiles work?

I found this study about terpenes and cannabinoids and based on what i figured(didnt read the whole paper yet and i havent studied all that much plant genetics) it seems like some terpenes act similar to THC/CBD, they like to show nearly everything of one and not much of other. But are some terpenes more recessive than others or are the different terpenes equally likely to exhibit if they are equally strong in the genome? Any other info about this would be very much appreciated.

F1.large.jpg

I have some pollen from a (low ryder x northern lights) F3 x (low ryder x matanuska tundra) F3 male i grew on the window and under kitchen sink light during the summer, but i dont want to use it to pollinate morty. I rather use some of these new commercial strains with morty, something that also has strawberry scent or something complimentary. Zkittlez auto could be a nice combo with morty in terms of complimentary style terpene profile, also it has a high THC which morty would surely benefit, as its bred more for ability to survive northern outdoors. Strong purple color would also be nice and i think berry terpene profiles would also be nicely complimentary.

I have some auto blackberry kush growing in the same tent, but they are already 2.5 weeks into flowering, so its too late to turn morty into male and pollinate them. Instead im thinking of making few seeds with the LR/NL/MT pollen i have and use those seeds to mix with seeds of what ever i cross morty with. I would grow these morty x not decided yet seeds to find a plant with vigorous growth and that strawberry scent, turn it into a male and use it to pollinate the LR/NL/MT x auto blackberry kush im planning to make now. Then start growing thos in perpetual run of 8 plants and when i find some really nice female candidate, ill use colloidal silver on it and hope to get tons of good seeds that are grow purple, smell like strawberries and has a good high. Or should i make F2 before starting the hunt or can i expect enough variance with the F1 seeds as the plant will have so wide genetic pool?

Now the thing is that because morty turned out female, i need to get some pollen from it as i dont have anything else than the LR/NL/MT pollen, which i would rather not use on this. Im afraid that their genes would overpower and morty would lose its strawberry scent as there would only be 25% of what gave that to it left and 75% of LR/NL/MT. Also id rather use some high THC commercial strain instead.

Now the only option is to turn morty into male and collect its pollen for later use. I took cuttings from low branches yesterday(as soon as i recognised preflowers as female) and am hoping i could turn them into males instead of spraying the original.
- I know its difficult to take cuttings from autos, its not too late even after the plant had started flowering since there are only few preflowers near top of the plant, right? Also is it a bad idea to put a few drops of root juice and bioheaven in the water im rooting the cuttings in?

- If the cuttings dont work out, when is the most latest i can use colloidal silver on morty to get some pollen? I read everywhere only that it should be done instantly when the plant starts to flower and preferably just before it even starts to flower. However is this just because the seeds wont be able to mature in the plant itself anymore if its done too late or is it because it gets harder and harder to change the sex after flowering has gone further?

And the bonus questions:

- Does some commercial AF have strawberry scent?

- Any high THC, complimentary terp profile and preferably purple strains to recommend? LSD-25 seems like it might be nice complimentary high(that undisclosed legendary strain used in morty is said to have extremely psychedelic sativa high, but also a lot of variance), it exhibits at least some purple, but i have no idea of its scent.

I know this is a long read, but i appreciate any sort of help or random rambling about the subject greatly :greenthumb:

Hey bro! I'd be happy to help as much as I can! Can you do me acfovor and make a post listing all of your questions? I read the entire post but feel like I am forgetting questions and where to find them in the original post! Thanks!!

Hey bro! I'd be happy to help as much as I can! Can you do me acfovor and make a post listing all of your questions? I read the entire post but feel like I am forgetting questions and where to find them in the original post! Thanks!!

Hi. I have all the questions like this with a dash you can see under this. First i was going to list sll questions in the end, but it seemed a better idea to have the questions where im rambling about relater stuff.
- Does having questions with the dash like this make it easier to see them?

I hope that helps, im on mobile going to bed right now, so hard to make large text edits.

Yes, but there are several questions that do not have the hash in front of them, that are mixed into the paragraphs.. Those are the questions that you almost have to re read everything in order to find.

Yes, but there are several questions that do not have the hash in front of them, that are mixed into the paragraphs.. Those are the questions that you almost have to re read everything in order to find.

Ill edit the questions more neatly tomorrow, just going to bed. Cheers :redface:

Ahhh.. On the other side of the world aye! It's just now Noon here! Rest well.

Hi, i could use some answers to more advanced questions and any sort of tips in this breeding mission im about to continue.

So i recently bought a tent and want to continue some small breeding projects i had like 12 years ago. Im about to try some advanced stuff i havent done before, so i could use some help. Also since knowledge about breeding is A LOT deeper nowadays(especially whats available in public) than what it used to be and my aim was more in breeding in just autoflowering in auto x photo hybrids, my grow setup was really small so i didnt even have room to make any proper selection, but other people did most of the work with the seeds before i continued them for 1 or 2 generations.

I now have the last seed of a line growing i want to continue a low ryder mixed with local legendary outdoor sativa F2 which is mixed one generation with (low ryder x northern lights) F3 x (low ryder x matanuska tundra) F3 male. I call this mix Morty. This last one of morty has the same strawberry scent in it than its mother had. Naturally i havent had the chance to smell its buds, but i took off a yellowed leaf and the fresh insides has that scent, you can also smell it when you rub the stem and leafs, let the initial basic stem smell go away for a couple of secs and there is that strawberry scent. I want to maintain this so so nice strawberry scent, especially if the buds also smell like it like mortys mother did.

I found this study about terpenes and cannabinoids and based on what i figured(didnt read the whole paper yet and i havent studied all that much plant genetics) it seems like some terpenes act similar to THC/CBD, they like to show nearly everything of one and not much of other. But are some terpenes more recessive than others or are the different terpenes equally likely to exhibit if they are equally strong in the genome? Any other info about this would be very much appreciated.

F1.large.jpg

I have some pollen from a (low ryder x northern lights) F3 x (low ryder x matanuska tundra) F3 male i grew on the window and under kitchen sink light during the summer, but i dont want to use it to pollinate morty. I rather use some of these new commercial strains with morty, something that also has strawberry scent or something complimentary. Zkittlez auto could be a nice combo with morty in terms of complimentary style terpene profile, also it has a high THC which morty would surely benefit, as its bred more for ability to survive northern outdoors. Strong purple color would also be nice and i think berry terpene profiles would also be nicely complimentary.

I have some auto blackberry kush growing in the same tent, but they are already 2.5 weeks into flowering, so its too late to turn morty into male and pollinate them. Instead im thinking of making few seeds with the LR/NL/MT pollen i have and use those seeds to mix with seeds of what ever i cross morty with. I would grow these morty x not decided yet seeds to find a plant with vigorous growth and that strawberry scent, turn it into a male and use it to pollinate the LR/NL/MT x auto blackberry kush im planning to make now. Then start growing thos in perpetual run of 8 plants and when i find some really nice female candidate, ill use colloidal silver on it and hope to get tons of good seeds that are grow purple, smell like strawberries and has a good high. Or should i make F2 before starting the hunt or can i expect enough variance with the F1 seeds as the plant will have so wide genetic pool?

Now the thing is that because morty turned out female, i need to get some pollen from it as i dont have anything else than the LR/NL/MT pollen, which i would rather not use on this. Im afraid that their genes would overpower and morty would lose its strawberry scent as there would only be 25% of what gave that to it left and 75% of LR/NL/MT. Also id rather use some high THC commercial strain instead.

Now the only option is to turn morty into male and collect its pollen for later use. I took cuttings from low branches yesterday(as soon as i recognised preflowers as female) and am hoping i could turn them into males instead of spraying the original.
- I know its difficult to take cuttings from autos, its not too late even after the plant had started flowering since there are only few preflowers near top of the plant, right? Also is it a bad idea to put a few drops of root juice and bioheaven in the water im rooting the cuttings in?

- If the cuttings dont work out, when is the most latest i can use colloidal silver on morty to get some pollen? I read everywhere only that it should be done instantly when the plant starts to flower and preferably just before it even starts to flower. However is this just because the seeds wont be able to mature in the plant itself anymore if its done too late or is it because it gets harder and harder to change the sex after flowering has gone further?

And the bonus questions:

- Any high THC, complimentary terp profile and preferably purple strains to recommend? LSD-25 seems like it might be nice complimentary high(that undisclosed legendary strain used in morty is said to have extremely psychedelic sativa high, but also a lot of variance), it exhibits at least some purple, but i have no idea of its scent.

I know this is a long read, but i appreciate any sort of help or random rambling about the subject greatly :greenthumb:
So the sts or colidal silver if ur just looking for pollen then u can do it a bit later but if ur trying to self the plant that's difficult and very much about timing also when I do this I run 2 of the same strains for that reason as I've yet to have a strain I've grown that come down @ the same time as the other so it works quite well now if u don't have the 2 which u don't u can reverse her and freeze the pollen so u can look for the best phenotypes from wat ever stock u run I personally pollinate every one I run and take all kinds of notes from growth and growth structure of plant bud structure yield ect then choose the seeds from that plant. Now if ur looking for specific traits pick one trait and look for it I would start with f2 also something I'm going to try is sts a plant use that pollen on a reg auto then take those seeds grow them out and cross to a reg. I've noticed sts colidal silver seems to lock traits in for some reason if u have more? and or I missed some lmk would love to help

Ahhh.. On the other side of the world aye! It's just now Noon here! Rest well.

Perhaps, or maybe i just have a weird sleeping schedule :biggrin:

Anyways heres the questions:

- are some terpenes more recessive than others or are the different terpenes equally likely to exhibit if they are equally strong in the genome?

- should i make F2 before starting the hunt or can i expect enough variance with the F1 seeds as the plant will have so wide genetic pool and not stabilised properly in many generations?

So the sts or colidal silver if ur just looking for pollen then u can do it a bit later but if ur trying to self the plant that's difficult and very much about timing also when I do this I run 2 of the same strains for that reason as I've yet to have a strain I've grown that come down @ the same time as the other so it works quite well now if u don't have the 2 which u don't u can reverse her and freeze the pollen so u can look for the best phenotypes from wat ever stock u run I personally pollinate every one I run and take all kinds of notes from growth and growth structure of plant bud structure yield ect then choose the seeds from that plant. Now if ur looking for specific traits pick one trait and look for it I would start with f2 also something I'm going to try is sts a plant use that pollen on a reg auto then take those seeds grow them out and cross to a reg. I've noticed sts colidal silver seems to lock traits in for some reason if u have more? and or I missed some lmk would love to help

Thanks, thats good to know. Morty is starting to look better and better every moment. It started out slower than others, but now that it had its spurt, its almost the same height than others(and growing larger branches than auto BBKs, except one of those grew larger lower branches, likely also due to some training) even tho it was a lot smaller just few days ago and is a lot larger than others when they were on the same stage of flowering. Those genes are starting to look much better in growth aspect and not just for the strawberry scent. im starting to feel more and more that i definitely cant lose these genes.

My plan is to save the pollen and put 3 new seeds growing when i figure out what strain i want to mix this with and use the pollen on the best looking one(s) of those. Hopefully i can collect enough to save for later also, but i think pollen doesent survive in freezer for years and years like seeds do.

Yea if i can get enough pollen to save for later grows, i will surely make at least few seeds every run i have something interesting and suitable growing.

Thanks, thats good to know. Morty is starting to look better and better every moment. It started out slower than others, but now that it had its spurt, its almost the same height than others(and growing larger branches than auto BBKs, except one of those grew larger lower branches, likely also due to some training) even tho it was a lot smaller just few days ago and is a lot larger than others when they were on the same stage of flowering. Those genes are starting to look much better in growth aspect and not just for the strawberry scent. im starting to feel more and more that i definitely cant lose these genes.

My plan is to save the pollen and put 3 new seeds growing when i figure out what strain i want to mix this with and use the pollen on the best looking one(s) of those. Hopefully i can collect enough to save for later also, but i think pollen doesent survive in freezer for years and years like seeds do.

Yea if i can get enough pollen to save for later grows, i will surely make at least few seeds every run i have something interesting and suitable growing.

1. Same as any other trait.. Dominate vs. Recessive. Dominate is what you smell, recessive is the undertones you may smell

2. Yes. Find the most dominating terp profile and it should get passed on based on its dominate trait. But keep in mind that terps can be manipulated and changed based on their environmental conditions.

3. Personal preference, but F2's have the widest range of variety of all the filial generations

4. It is not difficult to take cuts from an auto. It's no different than taking a cut from a photo period. You can still take cuts at the stage you're on. Just take them from the lowers.

4B.. I don't add anything when taking clones.. What's the point? The only way a plant can absorb nutrients, is by the roots.. If you have no roots, what's the point of nutes, lol? I use rockwool, a little hormone gel/powder and plain water that I never ph. Bad idea? I wouldn't say that, but would say it's not needed...at all.

5. Yes. There are a few I can think of.. Strawberru nuggets from Mephisto, and Strawberry Amnesia come to mind...

6. This is really personal preference. Knowing the thc levels requires testing, which doesn't happen much in the world of autos. There are several purple strains though. But it all comes down to dominate vs. Recessive.. This is why it's ideal to find one plant that displays all of the traits you're looking for. Using one male for color and another for terps ect, can get troublesome!

Even if it spent look good u will be surprised bc of things like double recessive genes ect same for terp profile it's mostly a gamble ur going to get lets say 25% strawberry then other 75% of the time it could be pine lets say u can also get a mix of the 2 that's were isolating the traits u want look for them immediately and again with out a lot of room say 100 plants at a time to pheno hunt using a punitive square and go from there. Good strains I would think would be zkittles from fastbuds night queen from Dutch Passion has a strawberry milk shake pheno double grape from mephisto grapefruit from fastbuds cherry bomb by bomb seeds green crack from fastbuds glueberry from Dutch Passion and Star Ryder from Dutch Passion anything else lmk bud

Back