Reaction score
I have an AF in a 3 gallon fabric pot. My coco temp is right at 50F. The tent temp is 78-80F and the humidity is 50% or less. I'm suddenly concerned that my soil temp is too low. Im just entering week 6 so the lower temp isn't as concerning (she's starting to really flower). But looking ahead to the next round, I am worried that I need to raise my soil temp a bit. Am I being a helicopter gardener or should I be looking at this?

If the tent environment is cold, is the floor insulated or pots elevated (air space under them)? And do you have good air circulation in the tent to prevent cold air from settling??

Soil/media in well-ventilated pots, like your fabric and Air-Pots, should be cooler than the environment or room temp. due to a good amount of evaporation cooling. But this would be mild. Your near 30˚F lowering of temps. between the coco/soil and air is very extreme (suggesting a colder, below 50˚F, bottom surface).

Get the temps up. At those temps the roots stop doin their thing.

“When the root zone temperature of any plant is below 13-14 degrees Celsius, there is zero activity in the plant whatsoever."

Taken from mmjdailydotcom

If the tent environment is cold, is the floor insulated or pots elevated (air space under them)? And do you have good air circulation in the tent to prevent cold air from settling??

Soil/media in well-ventilated pots, like your fabric and Air-Pots, should be cooler than the environment or room temp. due to a good amount of evaporation cooling. But this would be mild. Your near 30˚F lowering of temps. between the coco/soil and air is very extreme (suggesting a colder, below 50˚F, bottom surface).

The fabric pots are on plant stands so there is air beneath them. For this reason I am skeptical how much the heating pad (like a seedling mat) would really help.

If I change the temp of the nutrient solution will that be enough? I am worried about a heater because I'm at 80F in the tent as is and I really don't want to go much above that. I'd like the soil to be around 60F but I'm sorta stuck on the best way to do it.

Am guessing it would depend on what the temp of the solution now. I use RO that is off the outside tap, but I fill 2-5 gallon carboys at a time and they both sit inside, so they are close to the house temp of 75*. I wouldn't use water I just brought in, it would be too cold, down in the 50s probably.

@Mr Chewbaca Himself :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: that does not make sense to me. Do you have a fan blowing on the surface of the coco? or on the pots? The pots soil/coco temperature should be lower than the ambient temperature but not by 30 degrees.

Welcome to AFN @Mr Chewbaca Himself

I've got to agree with @BII on his assessment.

Your near 30˚F lowering of temps. between the coco/soil and air is very extreme (suggesting a colder, below 50˚F, bottom surface).

I experienced the same thing, as soon as I cut and laid some 1" insulation board underneath my saucers/risers/fabric pots, the problem disappeared and within a day normal growth resumed.

Are you on a concrete floor by chance? Or is the floor your tent is on extremely cold?

If so, I would recommend some 1" insulation board, cut to fit the floor of your tent.

Welcome to AFN @Mr Chewbaca Himself

I've got to agree with @BII on his assessment.

I experienced the same thing, as soon as I cut and laid some 1" insulation board underneath my saucers/risers/fabric pots, the problem disappeared and within a day normal growth resumed.

Are you on a concrete floor by chance? Or is the floor your tent is on extremely cold?

If so, I would recommend some 1" insulation board, cut to fit the floor of your tent.
I am actually on a wooden floor in an attic with no ductwork. I like that insulation board idea. Thanks

@Mr Chewbaca Himself :welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome: that does not make sense to me. Do you have a fan blowing on the surface of the coco? or on the pots? The pots soil/coco temperature should be lower than the ambient temperature but not by 30 degrees.

Thanks for getting back with me.
I have two small fans but nothing on the surface of the coco itself. One in the bottom right and one in the top left

Am guessing it would depend on what the temp of the solution now. I use RO that is off the outside tap, but I fill 2-5 gallon carboys at a time and they both sit inside, so they are close to the house temp of 75*. I wouldn't use water I just brought in, it would be too cold, down in the 50s probably.

I just harvested my first rain water so I am bringing those inside to warm up first. Right round 70F is when I am mixing solution. I have added 2 gallons of distilled water in the tent as a hink sink and they do appear to moderate the temps quite a bit better.

Back