So Trichomes look about right, but...

Reaction score
Hey all - new grower here. I'm at the end of week 11 with a Northern Lights Auto. When I look at the trichomes through a loupe, I see about 10-15% amber, 10-15% clear and the rest cloudy. And my pistils are pretty much 100% orange (but they started changing colors very early on in flowering for whatever reason, so I'm not relying on that factor too much). But other than a couple of yellowing leaves, the plant is looking pretty lively and certainly doesn't look like it's dying off (though I'm still feeding). On my first grow last summer (outdoors) I chopped super early - in part because I had some WPM, and in part because I was being impatient. So I really want to make sure I take this one to the finish line if possible.,,I'm just not sure where that finish line is! The buds definitely feel dense, but I can't really see swollen calyxes that I see in other growers' pre-harvest pics (I even trimmed up one of my buds to try to get a better look). Should I err on the side of waiting for it ripen as much as possible? Maybe I should just push to 30-40% amber and see how it looks? I'm not really looking for a super couch locky buzz, but it won't bum me out either. Thanks in advance!
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

I would say the harvest window is open.

When the trichome are nearly all cloudy the harvest window opens:

Some clear mostly all cloudy = a cerebral, racy high.

All cloudy with 20% amber = a balance mind/body high

All Cloudy with 40% amber = sleepy time/couch lock buzz

All Cloudy with 50% plus amber = over ripe.

I would say the harvest window is open.

When the trichome are nearly all cloudy the harvest window opens:

Some clear mostly all cloudy = a cerebral, racy high.

All cloudy with 20% amber = a balance mind/body high

All Cloudy with 40% amber = sleepy time/couch lock buzz

All Cloudy with 50% plus amber = over ripe.

Cool - thanks for looking/commenting! What’s your experience been as far as how quickly the trichomes can go from say 10% to 40% amber? I’m sure there are lots of factors, but generally...a day? Week? Couple weeks? I need a couple days harvest lead time to consider. Thanks again!!

Cool - thanks for looking/commenting! What’s your experience been as far as how quickly the trichomes can go from say 10% to 40% amber? I’m sure there are lots of factors, but generally...a day? Week? Couple weeks? I need a couple days harvest lead time to consider. Thanks again!!
There is an ai that I have used before its hard to get a picture it likes now which is frustrating but it was based on looking at trichomes not sure it's the most accurate but it's another tool to play with. You just put a picture into it. Could just be me but it always says "bad picture" now but I used to get results that were about on par with what I thought the stage they were at......
:redcross::redcross::redcross:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an ai that I have used before its hard to get a picture it likes now which is frustrating but it was based on looking at trichomes not sure it's the most accurate but it's another tool to play with. You just put a picture into it. Could just be me but it always says "bad picture" now but I used to get results that were about on par with what I thought the stage they were at......
Please raed the Terms of Use again you agreed by entering site! No linking to external....

You could try staggered harvest. Did that with my J.H. and that last cola was almost full amber, put you on the couch for 2 hrs. while the first cola was a nice airy energetic high.

Hey thank for chiming in. Do you mind sending me the name of the product since you can post links? I've got about a half dozen cheapo microscopes/loupes, and can't really decipher much out of any of them. Thanks!

You could try staggered harvest. Did that with my J.H. and that last cola was almost full amber, put you on the couch for 2 hrs. while the first cola was a nice airy energetic high.

That sounds ideal, unfortunately my setup is such that I gotta hang chopped plants in same tent.

Me too, that's why brown paper bags are reeaaalll handy.

Please raed the Terms of Use again you agreed by entering site! No linking to external....
My bad I had asked someone before and have seen and been sent links to external but I won't do it again. I actually found that thing I mentioned from here. Having said that now I know.

Back