Smart plug/timer help for dummies

Reaction score
Hello would appreciate any help. I’m extremely dyslexic and have a hard time with old fashioned mechanical timers. I’ve tried using this timer which works well, but I find highly difficult to set up, the instructions tiny and confusing and and the conversion to military time beyond frustrating. Amazon product

So I’m Looking for a very simple to set plug for my ES 180 green sunshine light with a very easy to use app. I don’t need Alexa/ google/ home kit automation, just the ability to easily change lighting sequences f
to experiment with 20/4or 18/ 6 settings and if I want to try some photos.

So basically a smart plug for dummies. I see , wyze, TP LINK and kasa recommended on line but no discussion on ease of use…simplicity etc.

So would appreciate any recommendations for doofuses like me…

1651933181141.png

Maxibright relay timer ... very easy, the pins are either in or out .. no degree or science tech knowledge needed and very ...very safe.

Hello would appreciate any help. I’m extremely dyslexic and have a hard time with old fashioned mechanical timers. I’ve tried using this timer which works well, but I find highly difficult to set up, the instructions tiny and confusing and and the conversion to military time beyond frustrating. Amazon product

So I’m Looking for a very simple to set plug for my ES 180 green sunshine light with a very easy to use app. I don’t need Alexa/ google/ home kit automation, just the ability to easily change lighting sequences f
to experiment with 20/4or 18/ 6 settings and if I want to try some photos.

So basically a smart plug for dummies. I see , wyze, TP LINK and kasa recommended on line but no discussion on ease of use…simplicity etc.

So would appreciate any recommendations for doofuses like me…

Hi, I use smart plugs for everything. I do not like the pin type timers. The smart plugs will allow me to set intricate schedules for fans, humidifiers, etc if I want. Or just a simple schedule for lights.

I use something similar to these. Very easy to set up and schedule in their app.

Amazon product

Hi, I just started using a kasa power strip in my tent. The kasa app is very easy to use. I have my fans run at staggered times since they really aren't designed to run 24/7. It also makes changing the timers for my lights ridiculously simple.

If you are technically inclined I'd go for @blue's solution. It doesn't get anymore analog then that :thumbsup:

There are smart plugs you can control from your phone via Wi-Fi. All you need is an application for your phone, and that’s it. I have some around my house, and they work perfectly well.
Such a smart plug is a great tool for controlling electricity consumption and maintaining safety. I don’t need to worry about an unplugged iron or a TV. I can turn them off remotely because the smart plug is connected to the house’s Wi-Fi network. It’s really not difficult to use this device. Just be careful not to use it for devices that consume a lot of electricity, such as heaters.

Last edited:
Back