Mephisto Genetics Slow growth, is this typical of autos?

Get a probe thermometer and put it the soil to get a live read out of temps. 65-75f but the sweet spot is 70-72f . temps directly effect ph too. Other than that id lean towards soil moisture levels as a culprit? Autos generally are the fastest growing plants around. I can see growth differences. Iin 8-10 hrs

Get a probe thermometer and put it the soil to get a live read out of temps. 65-75f but the sweet spot is 70-72f . temps directly effect ph too. Other than that id lean towards soil moisture levels as a culprit? Autos generally are the fastest growing plants around. I can see growth differences. Iin 8-10 hrs

I'm growing outdoors, I have no way of controlling soil temperature besides adding a layer of mulch.

With that said, I don't feel the soil temp is an issue. I've started cannabis seedling directly outdoor in my area as early as March and as late as July the past several years, temps ranging from lower 50s to mid 90s, never any real issues in regards to temperature. I live in northern California, some of the most prime climate for growing cannabis.

I'm not growing any differently than I have before, I don't see why these particular genetics would have to be babied or kept in a narrow range of ideal conditions to grow.

All seeds I've started directly outdoors under the sun, and clones too, in this same soil, take off just fine for me.

I wouldn't be all that concerned or bummed out if these weren't autos, because even the few runts I've had in years prior with regular photo plants they usually eventually take hold and grow up pretty well...but they have all summer long to veg and "fix" themselves and grow up...Since I've heard autos tend to flip into flower around week 3 to 4, and seeing that I'm coming up on 2 weeks and all of my plants are still itty bitty teeny seedlings, I feel like this grow and these seeds/plants might already be a total waste.

Will autos flip into flowering around week 3 or 4 regardless of how big they are?

I'm growing outdoors, I have no way of controlling soil temperature besides adding a layer of mulch.

With that said, I don't feel the soil temp is an issue. I've started cannabis seedling directly outdoor in my area as early as March and as late as July the past several years, temps ranging from lower 50s to mid 90s, never any real issues in regards to temperature. I live in northern California, some of the most prime climate for growing cannabis.

I'm not growing any differently than I have before, I don't see why these particular genetics would have to be babied or kept in a narrow range of ideal conditions to grow.

All seeds I've started directly outdoors under the sun, and clones too, in this same soil, take off just fine for me.

I wouldn't be all that concerned or bummed out if these weren't autos, because even the few runts I've had in years prior with regular photo plants they usually eventually take hold and grow up pretty well...but they have all summer long to veg and "fix" themselves and grow up...Since I've heard autos tend to flip into flower around week 3 to 4, and seeing that I'm coming up on 2 weeks and all of my plants are still itty bitty teeny seedlings, I feel like this grow and these seeds/plants might already be a total waste.

Will autos flip into flowering around week 3 or 4 regardless of how big they are?

Depends on environmental cues and genetics. They will prflower then stretch some more. Ive had them preflower under 1 ft and still put on 3 zips

Are u in the ground w them or containers?

Autos are super fussy with low soil temps. It’s not the same sport as growing photos when it comes to soil temp. While you may not be able to adjust your soil temp, you can check it. I bet it’s cold. Then at least you will know why they are slow...or why not. Based on the soil temp, if it’s cold, you may also want to start them in a solo cup, and transplant after 10-12 days.
I will also recommend using a seed starter to plant the seed into, so your not planting into regular potting mix. Again, because autos are fussy.
As far as when they will flip to flower when grown in cold temps, they most likely won’t flip in the normal 3-4 weeks. Probably more like 6-8. It depends on how much the weather and soil warm up. They may even grow normal size, it’s can just take a lot longer.
I live way the fuck up north at Lat 61, and deal with cold soil and temps. I see what your living all the time. A 75 day indoor strain, takes 120 in my greenhouse.
For what it’s worth, some strains seem to do better in cooler temp. IME, the more indica like plant with wider leaves seem to do better in cooler temps.
HTH
cheers
os

This is day 7 straight into promix ultimate under shitty led shop light. They stretched a lil at first till i dropped the light .
20210529_222141.jpg
20210529_222109.jpg

They move quick when they're happy !

The size of your plants, as well as pretty much everyone else that posted pics of seedlings around 2-ish weeks, is exactly the size of plant I would expect to see around 2 weeks.

But even my best looking plant, one Mango Smile, isn't quite on par with those.

For folks asking about how I'm growing/media/conditions etc.

I'm growing outdoors. The soil started out as "Roots organic" several years ago, a coco/peat based mix. But over the years it's composition has changed a bit, it has a fair amount of coco & perlite though. And it is "alive", I've been using the same soil for several years now giving it multiple top dressings of various things through out the year. I've grown cannabis in this soil for several years now as well as different vegetables, they all grow just fine.

The seeds were started directly outdoors like I do every year. Daytime temps have been around 75 to 90, overnight it dips down to around 60. Around/a bit over 15 hours of light a day, about 12 hours of which is direct sunlight.

I started these seeds the same way I start seeds every year the past several years, same soil and same climate (actually more sunlight since I started this Month compared to March/April like I usually do with regular photo period plants) I've never seen any plants grow so slowly and so small with such little vigor. They are green/lush looking, just growing extremely slowly.

One of the Mango Smile (I have two going) is looking "ok", still smaller than what I would expect to see this far along but it seems like it is starting to take off. The other one I have going is just now barely starting to push out it's 2nd set of leaves, and it's teeny tiny.

I'll get pics up sometime in the next few days. I was planning on entering the outdoor grow comp on the forums here this year but if these things don't start to take off within the next few days I'm not even going to bother.

When I grow photos outside, they take six months from start to finish, if they finish. But they also get huge. I've grown maybe 12 auto strains outside and have had some larger ones go as long as 110 days to finish. They seem to take forever and then when I am just about to rip them up they suddenly take off. But still 1/4 the size of a photo. I live almost at the Canadian border though.

Autos are super fussy with low soil temps. It’s not the same sport as growing photos when it comes to soil temp. While you may not be able to adjust your soil temp, you can check it. I bet it’s cold. Then at least you will know why they are slow...or why not. Based on the soil temp, if it’s cold, you may also want to start them in a solo cup, and transplant after 10-12 days.
I will also recommend using a seed starter to plant the seed into, so your not planting into regular potting mix. Again, because autos are fussy.
As far as when they will flip to flower when grown in cold temps, they most likely won’t flip in the normal 3-4 weeks. Probably more like 6-8. It depends on how much the weather and soil warm up. They may even grow normal size, it’s can just take a lot longer.
I live way the fuck up north at Lat 61, and deal with cold soil and temps. I see what your living all the time. A 75 day indoor strain, takes 120 in my greenhouse.
For what it’s worth, some strains seem to do better in cooler temp. IME, the more indica like plant with wider leaves seem to do better in cooler temps.
HTH
cheers
os

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize autos were known to be fussy & picky with things like soil temp. All regular photo period seedlings I've grown in previous years have never flinched, they certainly grew faster as they days warmed but even the cool nights & mornings and shorter days of late March/early April wasn't an issue for em'.

I also didn't realize autos were fussy about having to start in a light/fluffy "starter" mix. My soil isn't too heavy but it isn't anything like some of those super fluffy mixes I've seen. And again, I've started ALL of my seed grown plants in this same soil for several years now, photo period plants, and none have had an issue with it.

These two variables could be playing a part in what's going on, I just didn't think or know that autos could be so picky & fussy about such things. I mean it's been a sunny & warm spring for a while now and anything that's been dropped in this soil over the years has grown up just fine (tho it isn't the most light/fluffy soil, it isn't super dense either, I added more coco & perlite this spring).

It was a little "cold" (relatively) for the first 5 to 7 days or so after they germinated which was on/around May 16th. Low temps in the morning were around 50 and daytime high temps were around 75 for the first week or so. But since then it has warmed up to around 80 to 90 during the day time. The soils around here have been plenty warm for all sorts of things to germinate for a couple months now, but yea it was a bit "cool" (for this area) during their first week.

The day time temps are about to be up around 103 to 106 here for the first part of next week, I think the soil should be plenty warm by then lol. I've never had any plants struggle much with the heat & dryness in my area either, I'm curious to see how these autos do.

I'd love it if they took 6 to 8 weeks from sprout before flowering (to an extent, I am moving later this summer and that's the whole reason I'm growing autos because I can't finish photos), in that amount of time I can see them taking hold and taking off and growing into a decent size plant...That's the main thing I'm concerned about is them flipping into flowering early while still so small.

Are u in the ground w them or containers?

Each plant is in a 30 gallon fabric pot, but they are filled up only 2/3 to 3/4 . I know that's a bit large for an auto but that's what I have on hand since that's what I've grown my photo period plants in in the past several years (as well as in the ground).

Two of them are in 1 gallon plastic pots which I was planning on transplanting into the ground. Initially I was thinking I would be doing so around week 3, like I usually do with photos, but it'll be a bit longer before I do that for sure.

Today I placed a seed directly in the ground (Skywalker).

HTH
cheers
os
I agree with everything posted above. Planted straight into soil autos can grow well in the warm Summer temperatures where I live but in my area those planted in pots do better right now because the pots are warmer than the soil right now. I have autos growing in a tent in pots that in 3 weeks are in preflower and quite large. I have some that sprouted outside in March straight in the ground and two months already they look like two week seedlings.

Back