Seed production question.

Hemposapien

Happy Growing!
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Terple,
Hi y'all!

I don't know if anyone would have an answer to this question but I thought it was worth asking. I'm still debating whether to grow photoperiods and have a veg and flower tent or have one big tent that's dedicated to autoflowers with another tent dedicated to autoflower feminized seed production. My question is, the tent I have is 2.7*2.7*6ft but the light I'll be using has 2*2ft flowering footprint and 3*3 veg footprint. Does the light need an exact flower footprint when producing seeds or can it be comparable to the vegetative footprint?

I'm pretty sure I've asked it once before but what's better, a veg n flower tent for photoperiods or one big tent for autoflowering with a small tent for seed production?

Hope I'm not being redundant. Also, I'm very grateful for this website and all the growers that are here to help!

Happy growing!

If you have a mother plant & go with cloning, then autoflowers do not really offer you anything extra as the time is the sameish.

I don't think there's a 'better' choice, but more what is suitable for you.

If you have a mother plant & go with cloning, then autoflowers do not really offer you anything extra as the time is the sameish.

I don't think there's a 'better' choice, but more what is suitable for you.

Only thing is autoflowers offer more variety. With a mother I'm locked in to 1-3 strains. With autos I could theoretically grow 8 different strains. Plus autos are more plug n play, no transplanting , dealing with light leaks, etc

Only thing is autoflowers offer more variety. With a mother I'm locked in to 1-3 strains. With autos I could theoretically grow 8 different strains. Plus autos are more plug n play, no transplanting , dealing with light leaks, etc

Yep, all very valid points. It all depends on what you want the end result to be.

Sounds like you've already arrived at your answer.

There is no "footprint" for seed production. Once pollinated, the plants sole focus is on making seeds. So in your situation the quoted "footprint" doesn't matter. It doesn't need to be exact at all. Seeds will develop under 12/12 or 18/6.. Under a veg foot print or flower footprint. If your set up is working well, then nothing needs to change just to produce seeds.

As far as which tent/set up options.. It totally depends on your goals, like niceandslow said.. If all you want to do is grow autos from seed, then boom.. Do that. If you want to run photo period clones, do that. If you prefer both, have at it. One of the hardest and most important things for a new grower is picking a growing style. I've been all over the map.. Done it all the different ways.. Today I have a set up for photoperiods and auto because it turns out that I love growing both. Photo periods for their consistency, and autos for random head stash and quick turn around. Total personal preference.

Last edited:
Photos have the advantage of cloning the mom and producing lots from the clones.
Mom dies you loose all.
Mom requires regular upkeep.
Mom dies you loose all.

Autos have the advantage to reproduce fast seeds and multiple harvests in 1 year.
No 12/12 required.
Mom dies, screw it start new plant.
No two brother and sister are the same.
Feeding and lighting need tweaking for best results.
The biggest advantage possible with autos is easier indoor grows year round.
Small plant size variety as well ( see ShortStuff seeds).

I totally agree. Like nice and easy said I think I came to my decision without even realizing it. I'm going to go with autos. I prefer variety over yield. Also that's amazing to know about the footprints for making seeds. If I didn't ask on here I'd honestly have no way of knowing other than through personal trial and error. Yeah picking a growing style has been exhausting cuz there's so many different ways to go about it. Anyways, thanks so much for sharing! I really appreciate it.

Happy growing!

There is no "footprint" for seed production. Once pollinated, the plants sole focus is on making seeds. So in your situation the quoted "footprint" doesn't matter. It doesn't need to be exact at all. Seeds will develop under 12/12 or 18/6.. Under a veg foot print or flower footprint. If your set up is working well, then nothing needs to change just to produce seeds.

As far as which tent/set up options.. It totally depends on your goals, like niceandslow said.. If all you want to do is grow autos from seed, then boom.. Do that. If you want to run photo period clones, do that. If you prefer both, have at it. One of the hardest and most important things for a new grower is picking a growing style. I've been all over the map.. Done it all the different ways.. Today I have a set up for photoperiods and auto because it turns out that I love growing both. Photo periods for their consistency, and autos for random head stash and quick turn around. Total personal preference.
Photos have the advantage of cloning the mom and producing lots from the clones.
Mom dies you loose all.
Mom requires regular upkeep.
Mom dies you loose all.

Autos have the advantage to reproduce fast seeds and multiple harvests in 1 year.
No 12/12 required.
Mom dies, screw it start new plant.
No two brother and sister are the same.
Feeding and lighting need tweaking for best results.
The biggest advantage possible with autos is easier indoor grows year round.
Small plant size variety as well ( see ShortStuff seeds).

Back