Outdoor Recomended pot size or hole size for outdoor Autos

J

jmw3

Hello all! I am new to AF and new to atuo strains!!! I have had three successful seasons with bagseed grows and now im interested in giving autos a try because i wante to fit two grows into one season. I have heard the roots on the strains can grow very large for a small plant.
- I will usually dig a 2' wide, 3' deep whole for my normal plants to be transplanted into, is this cool for autos? or too big?

- I want to grow the roots to maximum potential and size so i can get maximum bud production.
Also what are some autos that are good outdoors and 90-120 days from Seed to harvest?

i use 5 gallon buckets---put 5 or 6 holes close to bottom for drainage.---your holes size sounds good to me for outside.i like buckets better for security reasons--easy to move.i dig a hole put bucket in hole to keep it low profile here is one of my autos in a 5 gallon bucket 100_3445.jpgthere are too many to list--look at pic and mix seed and look tons to look at--makes my mouth water---i have heard others say bigger is way better for the autos ----so 7 ,8,9,gallon is probably..better

For my outdoor autos I prefer pots over planting in the ground. Generally I use 3 gallon pots, which I would consider the minimum size. It also depends on what strain you are growing. True dwarfs like Hindu Kush, Pakistani Ryder, etc. really don't need anything bigger than 3 gallon. Bigger strains like Mi5, Auto Assassin or Onyx can benefit from a 5 gallon pot. For the Super Autos, 10 gallon. Autos do have a tap root so generally like a deeper pot.

I always wonder when you say a ten gallon pot with a big plant in it how much does the sucker weigh? I grow in the field in raised beds cause that way I can sit on the edge of the bed. I like the raised beds also cause the raised beds hang onto their water better than plants in pots. I put ground oyster shells around the outside edge of the bed to keep the slugs down. I also like the fact that the plant sits a little lower which makes it not so high above the weeds and thus harder to spot. The main disadvantage is that when they are in they are really in. There is know bringing them inside to clone. If there is some pheno I really like I just clone it and bring the clone inside to root and then plant it in a pot and put it up on my third floor balcony to grow it to flower so I can seed it.

I don't use any high priced stuff to grow with. Manure compliments of my local sheep farmer and a lot of apples I pick up off of my lawn. I bury them om the box. Yea I get baby apples. Occasionly some pH correction. I boost it with the water I rotate out of my inside bubbly tank which seems to work fine. I bet there isn't much of a difference between our growing styles when it comes to yield. It suits me because I am truly a cheap skate and my way is cheap.

For my outdoor autos I prefer pots over planting in the ground. Generally I use 3 gallon pots, which I would consider the minimum size. It also depends on what strain you are growing. True dwarfs like Hindu Kush, Pakistani Ryder, etc. really don't need anything bigger than 3 gallon. Bigger strains like Mi5, Auto Assassin or Onyx can benefit from a 5 gallon pot. For the Super Autos, 10 gallon. Autos do have a tap root so generally like a deeper pot.

Last edited:
I can pick up and move the 10 gallon pots around pretty easily. The 15 gallon I use for photos are another story. I can only move them when they are dry. But mostly I only have to move them 25' or so, then into the bucket on the tractor.

I always wonder when you say a ten gallon pot with a big plant in it how much does the sucker weigh? I grow in the field in raised beds cause that way I can sit on the edge of the bed. I also like the fact that the plant sits a little lower which makes it not so high above the weeds and thus harder to spot. The main disadvantage is that when they are in they are really in. There is know bringing them inside to clone. If there is some pheno I really like I just clone it and bring the clone inside to root and then plant it in a pot and put it up on my third floor balcony.

I don't use any high priced stuff to grow with. Manure compliments of my local sheep farmer and a lot of apples I pick up off of my lawn. I bury them om the box. Yea I get baby apples. Occasionly some pH correction. I boost it with the water I rotate out of my inside bubbly tank which seems to work fine. I bet there isn't much of a difference between our growing styles and yield.

thanks for the reply guys, what strain you got goin in this pic littleT? very nice..

I will usually dig a 2' wide, 3' deep whole for my normal plants to be transplanted into, is this cool for autos? or too big?[/B]

3' x 3' x 3' provided the soil drains at that depth.

I can pick up and move the 10 gallon pots around pretty easily. The 15 gallon I use for photos are another story. I can only move them when they are dry. But mostly I only have to move them 25' or so, then into the bucket on the tractor.
yep 15 g pots are a nightmare to move around but if you are looking at super autos give the chaze a wizz they seem to be doing ok

Wow a 27 cubic foot hole thats about 120 gallons of soil.. What is that about 10 big plastic bags of soil? I guess it can't do any harm but sounds like overkill. I don't even do a hole that big to plant an apple tree.

3' x 3' x 3' provided the soil drains at that depth.

I think hole size is dependent on the existing soil structure . Someone with a clay type soil vs someone with a deep layer of natural organic matter would need different size holes . I know that in my area , there are places that the soil is a rich black and the most that has to be done is a shallow hole and some top dressing .

Back