Outdoor rain problem! please help!

R

ry22an

hey everyone so in jersey it was raining pretty hard last night and my small plant who is only about 4 inches got poured on. I cannot keep it inside, and today i found it on its side and covered in some of the soil. It still looks fine but a little dirty i proper him up on a stick and cleaned him off some and secured him to it. Do you think he will be alright?!

As long as your pot gets a chance to dry out and gets some good sun I say it will be just fine. Plants are pretty hearty and will surprise you. I have Sunflowers and young tomato plants and sometimes when I water they lay down almost flat, but an hour or so later after good sun they are standing up at attention. Same with Canna as long as it doesn't stay water logged.

I use Rootbuilder and Airpots outside and this allows great drainage for when it rains.

Heres what I do - find your favorite Chinese takeout place. Order some won-ton soup for pick up (1 qt.). Take it home....enjoy it after a nice smoke..then take the empty container (rinse it) and drill as many holes in the side of it that you can. I prefer to use a hot soldering iron and just push it through to burn holes in it (note - smells up the place, so do it outside). Now use your make shift "I made this while high" canna-condom-strainer to cover small seedlings when the rain comes down. Remove as soon as rain stops.

The good part is - the container is (should be) clear - so light comes through and the holes allow air circulation.....in case your baked azz forgets to remove it in a timely manner.........

I consider it a form of recycling...but thats just me. Enjoy!

PS: I also use this technique when starting seedlings outside for the first week or so..... to keep the critters away from eating the sprouts. Once formal leafs show - she's on her own with nature!

Back