Question on timing and self-reversal

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am a bit in a dilemma and would like your opinions on this. I have one seedling and one seed of a strain that I would like to make more of. This is a fast running strain and originally I planned on reversing the seedling I currently have and self pollinate. However, I now know I may need to get out of the country in 10 weeks. If I still want to make seeds what plan is the best course of action:
a) Reverse one branch and try to self-pollinate. How long will this take and is it doable to go from reversal to pollen to seeds in 10 weeks?
b) Take 2 clones, reverse one and try to pollinate the other. How would this work time-wise?
c) Take 1 clone, reverse, collect pollen, store and use next round.
d) reverse one branch, collect pollen, store and use next round. If I only reverse one branch, is the rest of the plant vapable?

PS: I will be using colloidal silver 50 ppm

Thanks!

Odissey

If you need to get out of the country in 10 weeks, you probably won't have time. Getting to the point where you have pollen (by any of those means) is going to take _at least_ 3-4 weeks, likely more. Once pollinated, the seeds are going to need 5 weeks or so to mature and develop, plus time to dry the seeds, ...

When I've made seeds using a mix of regular and feminized autos (getting a male auto, rather than reversing), it's taken at least 14 weeks start to finish, and reversing adds both time and timing variability.

If you need to get out of the country in 10 weeks, you probably won't have time. Getting to the point where you have pollen (by any of those means) is going to take _at least_ 3-4 weeks, likely more. Once pollinated, the seeds are going to need 5 weeks or so to mature and develop, plus time to dry the seeds, ...

When I've made seeds using a mix of regular and feminized autos (getting a male auto, rather than reversing), it's taken at least 14 weeks start to finish, and reversing adds both time and timing variability.
Thanks for the feedback! I see. So I think the only option I have is reversing, collecting and storing pollen then. Should I do this on a branch, or should I clone and reverse? Or even take two clones, reverse one to pollinate the other?

Thanks for the feedback! I see. So I think the only option I have is reversing, collecting and storing pollen then. Should I do this on a branch, or should I clone and reverse? Or even take two clones, reverse one to pollinate the other?
Depending on the circumstances of your move, it may not be worth the trouble. Pollen doesn't travel well. In fairly ideal conditions (kept in a chest freezer, plenty of desiccant, etc.) the viability of mine has went downhill rapidly after six months or so.

Depending on the circumstances of your move, it may not be worth the trouble. Pollen doesn't travel well. In fairly ideal conditions (kept in a chest freezer, plenty of desiccant, etc.) the viability of mine has went downhill rapidly after six months or so.
I was planning on storing the pollen for one or two months only. Is that still not feasible?

It should be feasible. Protect it from moisture and temperature fluctuations (causing condensation). I keep mine in a thermos in the freezer, but stored dry somewhere with consistent temperatures it may be viable for at least a couple months. Mixing the pollen with toasted, dried AP flour (maybe 1 part pollen to 4-6 parts flour) will help to keep it dry, and also stretch the volume to help it spread better. Individual stigmas only need a single grain of pollen to make a seed.

Also worth noting: Reversed females typically produce significantly less pollen than males.

It should be feasible. Protect it from moisture and temperature fluctuations (causing condensation). I keep mine in a thermos in the freezer, but stored dry somewhere with consistent temperatures it may be viable for at least a couple months. Mixing the pollen with toasted, dried AP flour (maybe 1 part pollen to 4-6 parts flour) will help to keep it dry, and also stretch the volume to help it spread better. Individual stigmas only need a single grain of pollen to make a seed.

Also worth noting: Reversed females typically produce significantly less pollen than males.
Many thanks trees!

A final question if I may ask. If I cross two different plants, how will the phenos of the seeds be? Some that look like the mom and some like the dad or are the dominant genes gonna make them different plants altogether? So, for instance, if I cross two purple strains will I get mostly purple phenos or will I get mostly green phenos since the purple is recessive? In this case, I will be crossing two indica strains. Do I get mostly phenos that have indica structure and high or will I also get more sativa leaning phenos? What if I cross a pure indica and a pure sativa? Will I get a mix of indica and sativa phenos or will it be a perfect hybrid? Thanks!

A final question if I may ask. If I cross two different plants, how will the phenos of the seeds be? Some that look like the mom and some like the dad or are the dominant genes gonna make them different plants altogether? So, for instance, if I cross two purple strains will I get mostly purple phenos or will I get mostly green phenos since the purple is recessive? In this case, I will be crossing two indica strains. Do I get mostly phenos that have indica structure and high or will I also get more sativa leaning phenos? What if I cross a pure indica and a pure sativa? Will I get a mix of indica and sativa phenos or will it be a perfect hybrid? Thanks!
You'll get various mixes of the parents' genes, possibly occasionally including some traits that weren't expressed in either of them individually. If a trait is recessive but both parents have it, they're homozygous for it and all the offspring will get it from both parents too.

F1 cross will give plants that are mostly right in the middle of the parent strains. The big swings in diversity will come when you breed the F1 seeds and move to F2. F2 is were you'll see the biggest variety in the offspring. From there it is selection for the traits you want.

Back