Lighting Question: LED growlight to start seedlings

Reaction score
Hi all, I am, obviously, new to growing, and my preferred method is growing under the sun.
I currently have a few plants in my garden, which are my first ever.
As it is very important to get the seedlings enough light so they can grow strongly in the first 3 weeks, I like to purchase a small light I can use to start 2 or max 3 plants under for just the first 3 weeks, until they are big enough to transplant outside.
The idea is to have them on a south facing windowsill with the sunshine, and additionally, when days are overcast, put them under a light so they don't miss a day's growth.
I have seen these 12W Lovebay (12 blue and 24 red LED's of 460nm and 660nm respectively) growlights on Amazon which are the right spectrum (as per @Magic 's guide that is pinned here).
I guess these are probably way underpowered...
There is also the hydroponics system that Ikea is selling which has LED's. You can buy this in parts, and I was wondering if these lights would be good for the seedlings..?
I can post links, but I don't know if that is against the forum rules...

Hi There :D

Starting indoors is a good idea.
If it's only one or two little seedlings that need to be taken to 2-3 weeks, i'd personally think one of the bigger CFLs would do the job really well.

1572_5aad2e7c1b249f2f891c484741ee8ccc189cb8a7_original.jpg

They're about 30 cm long .. don't give off loads of heat. Cheap to run. Hang one horizontally about 25 cm above your seedlings to bring them up.

You can post links of equipment you're thinking of buying - it's only the spammer linkers or unauthorised vendors posting links that get put on the nuaghty step :coffee:

Hope this helps
Blue ^_^
:d5:

I was thinking of something like this
Amazon product

Can't find any info on the wavelength of the Ikea Växer lights that are in the hydroponics kits. But you can buy them seperately.

I was thinking of something like this
Amazon product

Can't find any info on the wavelength of the Ikea Växer lights that are in the hydroponics kits. But you can buy them seperately.

That Amazon media tag thing didn't show up at all - maybe just post a link to the item - or a photo :D

I don't know anything about that brand of lights.

It was actually a link to the article on Amazon. Here's a photo.
If you google Lovebay 12W 36 LED you'll get it.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-05-22 om 16.51.49.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-05-22 om 16.51.49.png
    533.4 KB · Views: 91
It was actually a link to the article on Amazon. Here's a photo.
If you google Lovebay 12W 36 LED you'll get it.
I just use a 45w CFL about 3" off the top of the seedling pointed straight down without a reflector. I have reared loads of seedlings this way. £2 from eBay for 4500k.

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Thanks everyone for the options. What's the best colour temperature for seedlings? The warmer the better?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

3500 to 5500 imo
Thanks everyone for the options. What's the best colour temperature for seedlings? The warmer the better?

Sent from my comfy chair.
[emoji16][emoji41] [emoji43][emoji848]

Remembered that I have these lights in my cellar. Would that get me through the first few weeks before I move her outside? Too hot maybe?
17b280091652137466e3d6171a64ff68.jpg

Back