Pumice Stone .

hecno

Worm Hunter .
Staff member
AFN Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have delved deeper into the subject and find it very interesting , In these video is a great idea , Within the next 3 months I will be moving into a permanent home and will be building a new bigger grow room and will give this ago . as I come across more info I will post here , @WildBill if you could post your knowledge here it would be great mate . :thumbsup:

Normally I reammend my soil every year with perlite. This year I did it with the buildasoil pumice so I don't have to deal with that anymore. I'm historically a terrible soil grower so results may vary... I didn't notice any real difference in the plants with pumice vs the perlite from years passed. I know they say pumice is light weight but it's heavy as hell compared to perlite. So it's a new learning curve for me when picking up the pots to know when to water since they're much heavier all the time. But everything I've read about pumice is positive, especially long term :pass:
PXL_20241023_231723133.jpg

"Medium" perlite in smaller pots, pumice in bigger pot. Same ratio
PXL_20241023_232738283.jpg

Here is so interesting info on water holding capacity . it will give you a idea and being my first grow soil and with pumice in all pots I did notice a difference as I only had to water once every 2 days the whole grow . @Mossy Thank you .

When I was a young kid, 8 or 9, I found a deposit of some very porous volcanic rock. It was one of the bombs that you see from violent volcanic eruptions. All pumice comes from violent volcanic explosions. It's all the gasses that are in the rock and when the pressure from being underground is released the gasses escape. That is what causes the Violent eruptions and all the holes in the pumice.
I wrote a letter to one of the universities in Austin. I sent a Polaroid picture and where I discovered that the deposits. I just basically asked where did it come from? They couldn't exactly tell me where it came from, but they did say it was deposited from one of the glaciation periods. That made a lot of sense years later when I found out where these really huge rocks/boulders came from that were deposited around the Mason area in Texas. Kind of scary to think about how far south the glaciers actually made it down.

Really, about the only thing you need to worry about pumice is where it's sourced. All the 'good' pumice for growing cannabis and edible plants, is mostly silica. Pumice can come from a multitude of sources, it comes out of the earth. It can have all sorts of heavy metals.

I think having pumice in your media is even more important with autos. Anything that contributes to the health of the root system is important, as we all know.

When I got my first bag of BAS 3.0 media, I knew I was slacking on the amount of pumice in my media!

img_20241003_161351951-jpg.1710348

The all AutoSeeds Grow in January will be with all fresh 3.0 media in 15 gallon pots!

Back