plant growing into the light…

Reaction score
a couple questions below…thanks in advance
00A1ED89-E58A-4B03-9417-81F8A21ECBE6.jpeg

first time I’ve encountered this. she just kept getting closer and closer, a few days ago I dropped to 90%, this morning she was within a couple of inches and I saw some speckles starting and knew I had to do something.

I bent her over like so, is that about right? I do also have another tent with an additional foot of space though my plants in that tent, though shorter, are just a few weeks from harvest. What are your thoughts on moving plants from tent to tent with different lights? Bad for them? I assume different light have somewhat different spectrums, wonder how that affects plants at different stages of growth? Is there a way I can find out what spectrum my current lights are putting out? Thanks…

• Love
Reactions: Growtogrow

Growtogrow

Watch out thinking outside the box might get you a better price. I dabble with light all the time. Studying Bruce Bubee is your best bet for sure.
i'm a pretty new newb on growing but, i'd tie the main cola down a lot more to even it out.
it may take several days to slowly bend it down.
you should be able to get the info for your lights from the internet.
just my 2 cents

View attachment 1498005

first time I’ve encountered this. she just kept getting closer and closer, a few days ago I dropped to 90%, this morning she was within a couple of inches and I saw some speckles starting and knew I had to do something.

I bent her over like so, is that about right? I do also have another tent with an additional foot of space though my plants in that tent, though shorter, are just a few weeks from harvest. What are your thoughts on moving plants from tent to tent with different lights? Bad for them? I assume different light have somewhat different spectrums, wonder how that affects plants at different stages of growth? Is there a way I can find out what spectrum my current lights are putting out? Thanks…
Photons are photons. Their source is immaterial.

Most grow lights have a "full spectrum" or "sunlight" spectrum but the exact spectrum varies. You can check the spectrum on the manufacturer's website or one of the third party sites that review grow lights.

In terms of the stages of growth, blue light inhibits cell elongation so it's used in seedling and veg to keep plants compact whereas red light encourages cell elongation so it's very useful in flower. Grow lights are designed to provide photons over a broad spectrum.

To get info about the spectrum of the light that you're using, contact the manufacturer of your light.

Photons are photons. Their source is immaterial.

Most grow lights have a "full spectrum" or "sunlight" spectrum but the exact spectrum varies. You can check the spectrum on the manufacturer's website or one of the third party sites that review grow lights.

In terms of the stages of growth, blue light inhibits cell elongation so it's used in seedling and veg to keep plants compact whereas red light encourages cell elongation so it's very useful in flower. Grow lights are designed to provide photons over a broad spectrum.

To get info about the spectrum of the light that you're using, contact the manufacturer of your light.

To Break down your answer better, yes photons are photons...

But the source does matter.

Some sources that produce photons do not produce enough photons. Almost all full spectrum lights are not like the sun... No in fact they're only about 70% of the Sun available Spectrum in the best lights that are available. Most only cover par...

To really get the full spectrum you need to go deep UV and far red near the infrared to get the full benefit of of the Sum in artificial lights.
Most LED manufacturers don't provide that extra bandwidth into the far red and deep UV in their lighting Products.

Adding those spectrums to your grow at pacific times during different life stages of your cannabis plant will produce a better cannabis. It is known adding more blue UV near the end of harvest is known to produce higher quality cannabis. it will produce more tricones and stronger Aromas and better flavors...
thanks so much…yea, I’m watching the bruce bugbee vids pinned up now. good stuff.
The doctor will teach you much. He's doing thousands upon thousands of tests. As he's one of the few in America that's allowed to test on cannabis with federally licensed. Most everything I know on light I've learned from that man. Although he doesn't play with it like I do... because he doesn't smoke. :doh: :crying::baked:
But I've used his testing results on quite a few different grows now recently with different light recipes as he spoke of in some of his educational videos. Or I've used far red spectrums in veg and more blue in flowering and finishing with deep blue UV in the very end. My results to say the least were far better than the regular way.to grow.

The reason I say this is because I work for a commercial farmer. And I use his exact same clones. And I compare my 100% living soil organic grow to his synthetic grow products and use his for a Baseline.

The reason I say it's better is because he said it was.:woody::cools::headbang::cheers::toke:

Him and the crew that work there also. Not 1 occasion not on 2 occasions but on several occasions with several different strains of exact same clones that he has runing. In Side by side blind taste test if you will....
So Yes there is a difference and there is certainly a difference in the producer of the photons. As I said in the beginning "some sources of photon are better than others".
I use a 315 CMH lights. So I can use spectrums from very deep UV 10k all the way up into near far red in the 680 nanometer range. Where then also supplement with far red with LEDs in the 730 nanometer range to add that extra far red.

I DIY my own lights. I have several recipes that I've worked on with several different strains that had various outcomes. But all the outcomes have been better than the original outcomes from the commercial farmer. So I'm on to something. I write all my recipes down and they're documented here in my journal on this forum. So anybody can follow them.

I suggest if you do any of these tests you do them side by side. And I mean by that if you want to know the difference you can run your regular lite Spectrum in tent and your light recipe Spectrum in the another tent. Using the same genetic clones. With the same soil or synthetics same air same everything except for the light would be different.
20200218_150459_HDR.jpg
20200314_093248_HDR.jpg
20200314_093345.jpg
20200314_093940.jpg
20200314_100054.jpg
20200323_105808.jpg
20200518_231009.jpg
20200518_233357.jpg
Capture+_2020-03-12-15-37-40-2.png
Capture+_2020-03-24-19-19-35-1.png
20210122_164914.jpg
Capture+_2020-03-24-19-13-45-1_(1).png
Capture+_2020-03-24-19-13-45-1_(2).png
20200519_065249.jpg

These tests may not be conclusive but they sure as hell are in the right direction.:shooty::cheers::smokeout:

Continuing on didn't have enough room to throw in some of my test results from a couple of my first light recipe grows.

This strain is called 9 lb Swiss. Where one clone was grown underneath more Red Spectrum 31k from the time of flowering to finish
20210131_124419.jpg
20210131_124433.jpg
20210131_124442.jpg
20210209_091055_(1).jpg
20210209_090730_(1).jpg
20210209_095202.jpg

The other clone was grown Underneath more blue Spectrum 42k from the time of flowering to finish.

20210131_131040.jpg
20210131_125037.jpg
20210209_100050.jpg
20210209_100100.jpg
20210209_101204_(2).jpg
20210209_101316_(1).jpg

So we ran these test side by side and a blind, we concluded that the blue light plant had a little bit more aroma a little bit more color and the buds were a little bit danker.

But the big obvious difference between the red and the blue is the weight.

So commercial farmer wait it's a big deal. But if you're a niche farmer and it connoisseur as myself then Weight is not such a big deal and every other facet of the plant is...

But there's a happy medium. This test above was my very first time experimenting with light recipes. I have now concluded about 5 different tests with 2 strains. Unfortunately I was not able to do any more tests with a 9 lb Swiss as that strain has been eliminated from the roster. But I'm now working with modified grapes 25 and headband strains that the commercial farmer is presently growing for the last year now. I keep these clones alive so that I can continue my testing I don't grow in the summertime inside. It's just too much of a hassle it's easier to do it in the winter time for me and I'll grow from October through May. And I'll conduct approximately three grows during that time where I will conduct my tests with these strains again.

You're more than welcome to come down and check out my thread. And read all of that you would like there's much education in it. There's a lot of b******* too. You'll have to pick it out I'm not going to pitchfork it out for you:pighug::pass:

thanks so much…yea, I’m watching the bruce bugbee vids pinned up now. good stuff.
I rewatched one of his videos today, in fact. He's an excellent resource.

If you're into that, check the DeBacco University videos on light levels and this paper is a must-read.

Reactions: Growtogrow

Growtogrow

Watch them again and again he has many of them. He has a nice YouTube channel. A lot of information in them in the videos. College level.
How far along is she? You could supercrop the top if it's an issue. Gently roll the stem between your fingers till you hear crackling and slowly bent the top over.

View attachment 1498005

Nice job on tieing her down, It's what I would have done, that or super crop (pinching the stem where you want to bend it, crush it between finger and thumb then bend).
Super Cropping can be the best thing in this situation, its form of stress training which often produces a better cola on the branch. I employ this technique often when I scrog my photoperiods.

No worries on moving you plant from spectrum to another spectrum. It's not un common to find us all with different lights in our spaces.
They will get use to it over a few days... the only warning or tip would be if your moving them from let say a T5 to some high powdered LEDs I would dim the LEDs and increase the wattage over a few days to harden them off. Your less likely to run into light shock then.

Back