Plant after plant, the same issue that I cannot figure out. Please help!

I've had the same happen on a few grows. I'm sure it's nutrient imbalance in the media cause by not enough regular run off in my case. And as mentioned above if you have an imbalance you often can't fix it by adding what your missing. You need to clear the root zone and then get the balance right

When you say you have flushed how much did you flush? To clear out unwanted salt build up in the media you need to flush with half strength solution for about 24-48 hours. Bring that run off EC right down to 1-1.2 then start back on your normal feeding regime.

Love this discussion! The gold nugget that I'm left with is "balance".

And the balance goes way beyond just nutrients. It's the interaction between different genetics, different lighting, different water, brands of coco, heat, humidity, etc.-all of the inputs or variables that intereact with each other that create results.

Hell, isn't it why when Proph, Waira, MOG help to diagnose plant problems that there is a sheet to fill out ?

My experiences with coco coir, with 3 different brands, and running 3 different nutrients, and buffering with different methods running different strains, have all had different inconclusive results. In other words, some have needed more calcium, some less, and or more magnesium with some less.

Most importantly and comparatively, autoflowers to photoperiods, autoflowers have been more difficult to grow or correct the deficiency/toxicity, since in my opinion by the time you visually see the problem in the plant, the problem started days or maybe weeks prior. And, you are far behind the stage of growth where the problem should have been remediated.

I look at bottled calmag as just another way nutrient companies can make money with no science to back it up. We as humans want that simple and easy quick fix, hence "more calmag." It ain't that simple!

I have checked my PPM. I seem to have no issues there. I feed at 500 my runoff was 487 on the smaller and 470 on the larger.

When you say you have flushed how much did you flush? To clear out unwanted salt build up in the media you need to flush with half strength solution for about 24-48 hours. Bring that run off EC right down to 1-1.2 then start back on your normal feeding regime.
I flush with half strength nutes at full volume. So if my container holds 3gal of media it will get flushed with 3gal of half strength nutes.

I will ask my teacher if he has any knowledge on plants and ca and mg and how they interact. He is a doctor of soil science so he should at least know a little bit. I am also going to ask if I can use his lab to test my Coco and see if I can figure out what my issue is. I should be able to test tissue samples too, I just have not done it before. Half of my goal of becoming a plant scientist is to figure shit like this out. Just not to that point yet. One day.

Great stuff. I am REALLY paying attention.

Back