Plant after plant, the same issue that I cannot figure out. Please help!

Reaction score
So, I am on my 4th plant now that has the same issue. Brown spots on the upper leaves. I have flushed, still progresses. I have added calmag, still progresses. I am in coco/perlite 70/30. Megacrop 2 Part. PH is always 5.8-6.2 depending on the stage. Never above 550ppm, usually just 500-525. I have only ever noticed this when flowering but it start almost immediately after stretch. Please see the pics and let me know what you think. First two pics are from the oldest and the next two are her younger sister. I am willing to try anything short of setting my tent on fire. TIA!
2021-03-28_21-43-09_300.jpg2021-03-28_21-42-47_956.jpg2021-03-28_21-43-02_402.jpg2021-03-28_21-42-57_303.jpg

Happens to alot of my plants. Everyone will tell you it's a "calmag" issue. It's NOT. It's the primary reason I have thought about giving up on autoflowers. May I ask what genetics you are growing? It probably isn't related to the breeder but I do see it more with my seeds from MSNL.

It's really frustrating as you know. Starts fucking up your sugar leaves too.

I hope you get someone smarter than me to help you. I wish you the best of luck and I will be watching this thread.

Tap water or RO? It is my understanding that MC has enough cal/mag in it, so adding some may actually make things worse and possibly causing lockout. There are multiple posts from @Proph in the infirmary where he details what I'm mentioning. I am just "parroting " what he has posted. I am NOT experienced. However, I had similar problems.

Last edited:
Tap water or RO? It is my understanding that MC has enough cal/mag in it, so adding some may actually make things worse and possibly causing lockout. There are multiple posts from @Proph in the infirmary where he details what I'm mentioning. I am just "parroting " what he has posted. I am NOT experienced. However, I had similar problems.

RO - 0 ppm. I normally only add calmag if it looks like it needs it. Part A has a lot. I am wondering, if since switching to flower requires lower part A, it is dramatically reducing the cal. Wonder if that is the issue.

Happens to alot of my plants. Everyone will tell you it's a "calmag" issue. It's NOT. It's the primary reason I have thought about giving up on autoflowers. May I ask what genetics you are growing? It probably isn't related to the breeder but I do see it more with my seeds from MSNL.

It's really frustrating as you know. Starts fucking up your sugar leaves too.

I hope you get someone smarter than me to help you. I wish you the best of luck and I will be watching this thread.

I doubt it is genetics, I have had the same problem from FB, Night Owl, Mephisto. The current two are Night Owl Queen Cheese Haze and Ethos Purple Thai

This happened to me as well. Everyone always said "it's a calmag issue! add more calmag!". Wrong. It was a calcium toxicity! I was feeding calmag with every watering, threw the nutrient balance off, and ended up locking out some other phosphorous I'm thinking. I was also severely underfeeding my plants in general. I would always hear regarding autoflowers: "quarter to half-strength nutrients, add lots of calcium". My problems went away when I started feeding closer to 3/4 strength nutes, and forgetting about the calmag altogether.

Aside from nutrient issues, the leaf cupping suggests they may be a little too warm.

-tronN00dles

Had similar looking issues with a different line of nutes (not salt based, but calcium based) turned out it was an alkalinity issue with RO water. Seems it needs a bit of re-mineralization before use, even with all the stuff we / I normally add.
The nutrient company recommended an add on for the RO system, but I've just been mixing ro and tap at a 4 to 1 ratio. At 100ppm mix, the problems have disappeared.

I use general hydroponics 3 part and they came out with new feed charts recently. The old feed chart had you feeding calmag the whole grow. Now they say only use calmag the first couple weeks if using RO water. It’s so hard to find consistent information.

Sure looks like calcium toxicity , It is Potassium that will get locked out , What will help is a mild flush , not flooding as you will flush all your other nutrients out .

"Cal mag" isn't even a word... It's not a deficiency, or a sickness.. It's a marketing term used to sell a product. Unfortunately this will keep happening until you learn how nutrients work, and how they work/react with other nutrients.

If you are using a name brand bagged coco, there is no reason to add more.. Bagged coco is pre buffered with calcium because if the cec ratios. I've been working the infitmany posts for a couple of years now... I've seen maybe 3-4 plants that were actually deficient.. 9 out of 10 times the issues are caused by a lockout, due to an excess of something.. 8-10 times, its too much calcium.. Calcium is a SECONDARY nutrient.. That means it's not needed in heavy doses or regularly.. So your coco has calcium already in it.. More is added when you use mega crop.. Then more calcium, plus magnesium when you add calmag... Too much calcium in the medium will make magnesium and phosphorus unavailable for the plant to use.. Too much magnesium will make calcium and potassium unavailable for the plant to use.. That's what you are seeing on your plants.. 3 or 4 different issues caused by a lockout. If that's bagged coco, flushing it probably hurt more than it helped due to the calcium buffer.. Read up on coco cec and calcium for more info.. Coco is, in my opinion, an advanced medium.. It is unforgiving, and you have to know you stuff when it comes to feedings. I told myself a few years ago that I would not say another bad word about mega crop because so many people get defensive over it.. but in my honest opinion, is that it's not a good cannabis product. The npk ratios are way off and so are macro nutrients.. I know 3-4 people total that can grow healthy plants with it, and they are all in hydro setups and they had to find there own ratios and feed rates..
Nutrients have to stay in balance.. Once there is an excess of something.. Issues start to show up... And with autos there is zero recovery time.. Once an auto is flowering it's full steam ahead.. You won't be able to correct leaf spots because the plant is no longer focused making or maintaining the leaves. I would say stop adding calmag (forever, like, never use it again, lol).. If for some wild reason you ever need calcium.. Add a source of calcium.. If you need magnesium.. Add that.. But adding both when you only need one, has never and will never make sense to me.. I'd reduce the amount of part A or B that you're using (reduce whichever has the most calcium and magnesium in it). I hate saying it, but you goal now is to try to get to harvest.. It won't be cute, but there isn't much you can do to correct this at this point. It would literally take a soil test or lab test to tell us what nutrients are out of balance.. There's a thread in the mega crop section that is hundred of pages of exactly this kind of issue.. Everything looks fine in veg, then bam.. The roof gets blown off.. I hate when people get discouraged, so next grow, tag me or someone in the journal early on! I'll help as much as I can..

Back