Grow Mediums Ph for Pro mix bx

McDee

Cultivators Club
Reaction score
What should my water ph be when using pro mix bx? Thinking it should be lower closer to coco but not sure. Was using water ph at around 6, but now think may be to high. Thoughts...

I try to keep my PH around 5.9 or 6.0 for promix. Works for me :thumbsup:

I try to keep my PH around 5.9 or 6.0 for promix. Works for me :thumbsup:
No lockout issues? I was thinking I should lower it to like 5.8 cause it seems more like coco than soul. Jaf a really bad calmag deficiency last grow and thought it may have been a ph issue that started it.

No lockout issues? I was thinking I should lower it to like 5.8 cause it seems more like coco than soul. Jaf a really bad calmag deficiency last grow and thought it may have been a ph issue that started it.
I haven't had any issues. I start off at 6.4 when they are young and work my way down to 5.9. That's what a buddy that grows commercially for told me to do.

I haven't had any issues. I start off at 6.4 when they are young and work my way down to 5.9. That's what a buddy that grows commercially for told me to do.
Ok, never heard that before, well that much of a swing. Interesting is that in pro mix only or any medium?

Ok, never heard that before, well that much of a swing. Interesting is that in pro mix only or any medium?
you slowly go do, not all at once. he didn't say, but he knew I was growing in promix.

Cool thanks for the tip. Still trying to get an official word on what medium it is. I bought it thinking it was soil, but with all the peat I have heard to treat it as almost coco. So I thought my ph was to high at 6. Can you ask your buddy what he thinks is it to be treated as coco or soil? Holds water like soil just want to make sure I'm not messing it up by treating it wrong. Still learning a lot so easily could be just be my own worst enemy lol.

Cool thanks for the tip. Still trying to get an official word on what medium it is. I bought it thinking it was soil, but with all the peat I have heard to treat it as almost coco. So I thought my ph was to high at 6. Can you ask your buddy what he thinks is it to be treated as coco or soil? Holds water like soil just want to make sure I'm not messing it up by treating it wrong. Still learning a lot so easily could be just be my own worst enemy lol.
There isn't any soil in it and needs to be treated like hydro. I'm not all that familiar with coco, but from what I understand it needs additional care and treatment to grow in than other soilless mediums like promix.

There isn't any soil in it and needs to be treated like hydro. I'm not all that familiar with coco, but from what I understand it needs additional care and treatment to grow in than other soilless mediums like promix.
Yes, I know its soilless mix but I was referring to the ph range. Coco range is 5.5-6.5 soil is 6.0-7.0. Coco doesn't hold water like soil, it also eats calmag. Pro mix hold water like soil, but I am starting to think its ph range should be closer to coco's range because it's not actually soil. Like you said it should be treated like hydro. I cant seem to get a straight answer on ph range tho. I may just do like you say, although 6.4 would be little close to max for me. 6.1-6.2 may be where I start them then slowly back off to like 5.9. I like coco but watering is a pain cause I do by hand and you go through nutrients.

Yes, I know its soilless mix but I was referring to the ph range. Coco range is 5.5-6.5 soil is 6.0-7.0. Coco doesn't hold water like soil, it also eats calmag. Pro mix hold water like soil, but I am starting to think its ph range should be closer to coco's range because it's not actually soil. Like you said it should be treated like hydro. I cant seem to get a straight answer on ph range tho. I may just do like you say, although 6.4 would be little close to max for me. 6.1-6.2 may be where I start them then slowly back off to like 5.9. I like coco but watering is a pain cause I do by hand and you go through nutrients.
All I can say is it has worked for me. Promix won't need as much calmag as coco. I have been using GH Floranova bloom and haven't used any calmag. When I did a hempy bucket with straight perlite recently I had some deficiencies with just using the floranova and had to pickup some calmag. I hope some of this at least helps point you in the right direction.

Back