Outdoor Outdoor temp extremes for autos?

S

Steamer

Hello folks. I have spawned a bunch of babies and I do not think I have enough room for them inside. (would like to upgrade lighting but not in my current budget) the threat of frost has passed in my area and I would like to plant 3 short stuff #1 outdoors. What would be a good pot/soil combo. Something low maintence would be better since I work longer hours in warmer weather. Thanks in advance

Hey there steamer. I guess you're still also asking about temps outside for autos. I have read several posts about them being able to handle the heat just fine, some into extremes. But some strains do much better than others with the heat. So it all depends.

I recommend at least 3 gallon pots or holes. 5 gallons would be great too. For your medium I recommend Promix or Sunshine mix. Not sure what you can get in your area.

Put some sort of mulch around them to keep the roots cool and keep them from drying out.

I've seen some pretty convincing arguments that root temps are what matter most. I've had better results (with photos) with ladies in the ground compared to exposed pots. The ground temps are much cooler than air temps on hot days.
I'm also wondering if autos do similarly well in high heat.

Wiz says that his do!

I've gotten descent results with outdoor autos, but usually do better indoors. I'd suggest using some worm casting or composted manure in your mix. With periods of rain it will be difficult to keep your plants on a routine feeding schedule, so the soil amendments will help to feed them when you can't. A mix of 3 parts Pro Mix, 1 part composted chicken manure and 1 part perlite is what I use.

I try and avoid planting anything that will harvest during the hottest part of the summer. It can get over 95 here and frequently stays up in that range for up to 2 weeks at a time. I do an early crop and then another for a fall harvest. They always do much better than those that finish in the hot weather.

Actively Aerated Compost Teas are something to be considered... let nature do the work

Back