Nutriment

Reaction score
Hi guys 3 of my 4 autoweeding just pooped up the soil.
I was wondering about nutes.Im going with GH series with calmag.Saw a few place that say to give water for a week before giving nutes but no one say of its.1 week after germination or.right after putting them in the soil.

Ps:I grow in soiless promix HP.so there no nutriment in that soiless mix

Waiting for your input and Ty guys

After sprouting (popping out of soil) they will be using the energy stored in the cotyledons for a bit , few days to a week or so is the way I understand it. Could be wrong or only half right, lol...As with any plants there are going to be variations between them, 1 might need nutes at 4/5 days another might be 7/8 days.......At this early stage I worry more about preventing damping off and such.

Pro-Mix HP + GH Nutrient user here, checking in. Howdy!

According to the bag, you should start feeding within 7 days. I've also reached out to the manufacturer about calcium specifically as Pro-Mix HP is full of dolomite lime. They re-iterated to start the full nutrient regimen, calcium included, around 7-10 days.

I'm currently on day 19 of a grow -- I started feeding around day 9 or 10. In hindsight, I probably should have started closer to day 7...

Also, I start counting my days when the seedling pops up out of the soil -- this is day 1.

Finally, be careful with dosing GH nutrients - if you're feeding at 1/4 or 1/2 strength, you're probably underfeeding. Check out the GH website, you'll notice the feeding charts have been changed dramatically in the past couple of months. Before, they used to have two feeding options: (1) Recirculating; and (2) Drain-to-Waste. They now have 3 feeding charts: (1) Aggressive, (2) Medium, and (3) Light. You're going to follow the LIGHT feeding chart, closer to 3/4 strength during vegetative growth, and then closer to full strength come late bloom - again, the LIGHT feedchart (I believe this is closer to what was once labeled 'drain-to-waste'.

I tend to give plain water in between each nutrient feed, and water/feed every 2-3 days. Also best to keep the peat damp as to not kill off the mycorrhizae. Don't worry about overwatering too much, as long as you're not watering more than every 2 or 3 days. That's kind of the point of the 'HP' designation -- there's so much perlite in the mix and it's just so airy in general, your roots should be getting lots of oxygen. The first time I grew in Pro-Mix HP, I was waiting for it to nearly dry out, closer to how soil would behave. When your plant is young and not drinking much, you could be waiting a week before the pot looks dry! Don't let this happen -- just water again after 2-3 days, even if the peat still looks moist.

Also, get yourself good pH and ppm pens. Pro-Mix is closer to hydro than soil, so if you're feeding above 6.5 pH, you're going to run into issues. I like to keep my pH closer to 6. As for ppm, aim for 550ppm or so in your nutrient solutions.

-tronN00dles

Last edited:
Back