Mephisto Genetics NoRobo has caught a ManBearAlienPig!?

We all use this term incorrectly since it's actually the genotype we are referring to not the phenotype.

Genotype would be the different varieties within the chemotype (the actual strain). Usually there will be some variance in growth, typically 2-6 different plants. That's why there are tall plants and short plants within the same strain.

Then you might see a tall one with more trichome output or a small one with crazy stinky terpenes.

Breeders try to stabilize the actual genetics they want to see portrayed. That is what everyone refers to as the phenotype.

Does that help? @RicanBlazer

We all use this term incorrectly since it's actually the genotype we are referring to not the phenotype.

Genotype would be the different varieties within the chemotype (the actual strain). Usually there will be some variance in growth, typically 2-6 different plants. That's why there are tall plants and short plants within the same strain.

Then you might see a tall one with more trichome output or a small one with crazy stinky terpenes.

Breeders try to stabilize the actual genetics they want to see portrayed. That is what everyone refers to as the phenotype.

Does that help? @RicanBlazer

Hmmmm I think so? If I understand correctly a "phenotype" would basically be exactly how it's "suppose" to grow. And a genotype would be a "freak" or a "weak" one. Let's say a plant is only "suppose" to grow a foot but grows to 3 feet, only produce 1oz yet produces 3oz, and so on. So since mine is only 1ft tall and yours is 3ft tall, under "perfect growing conditions" mine would be a "genotype", I get it right?

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/have-to-start-somewhere-i-hope.57225/
(1st grow, two random bag seeds)
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/walter-white.59565/#post-1461820
(2nd grow, Walter White by Mephisto)

Hmmmm I think so? If I understand correctly a "phenotype" would basically be exactly how it's "suppose" to grow. And a genotype would be a "freak" or a "weak" one. Let's say a plant is only "suppose" to grow a foot but grows to 3 feet, only produce 1oz yet produces 3oz, and so on. So since mine is only 1ft tall and yours is 3ft tall, under "perfect growing conditions" mine would be a "genotype", I get it right?

https://www.autoflower.org/threads/have-to-start-somewhere-i-hope.57225/
(1st grow, two random bag seeds)
https://www.autoflower.org/threads/walter-white.59565/#post-1461820
(2nd grow, Walter White by Mephisto)

No, he is saying that there are different phenos in each strain. Pheno is weed slang, genotype is the correct word.

Wikipedia said:
The genotype is the part (DNA sequence) of the genetic makeup of a cell, and therefore of an organism or individual, which determines a specific characteristic (phenotype) of that cell/organism/individual.[1] Genotype is one of three factors that determine phenotype, the other two being inherited epigenetic factors, and non-inherited environmental factors. DNA mutations which are acquired rather than inherited, such as cancer mutations, are not part of the individual's genotype; hence, scientists and physicians sometimes talk for example about the (geno)type of a particular cancer, that is the genotype of the disease as distinct from the diseased.

Phenotype refers to physical traits - tall, short, bushy, flower set. In humans - eye color, hair color.
Genotype refers to genetic traits - how the chromosomes are paired. In humans - 2 parents have brown eyes but their child has blue (B - brown, b - blue...2 parents were Bb but the child is bb due to their genetic cross).
Breeders tend to "chase" phenotypes in order to stabilize the genotype so that all offspring are uniform (the same).

Update:

MBAP is 31 inches tall, is on day 48 and is getting nice and frosty. She has a Very wide open structure. The lowest branches being almost 90 degree angles out of the main stalk. The flower sites have upturned, like I did some LST but it's all natural. The flower sites have definitely started to fill in. Big, frosty chunky nugs at the end of each branch. The pistils are thick white hairs that stick out more Don Kings hair. :crying:

The terpenes are starting to get stronger. She has a nice combo of OG funk and a sharper smell from the ripleys. It's pretty intoxicating. It's light right now, you get close to her and you can get hints of skunk and funk.

I didn't take a picture of the whole plant this time, just the top shots and a random side bud shot or two.

20170625_010100.jpg
20170625_010123.jpg
20170625_010140.jpg
InShot_20170625_090324023.jpg
20170625_010157.jpg
20170625_010213.jpg
InShot_20170625_090443316.jpg
20170625_010236.jpg
20170625_010241.jpg
20170625_010246.jpg

Can anyone spot the pistils that are doing a high five??
Enjoy. :pass:

Update:

Day 53 for this lady. Nothing has really changed. Still growing good. Still getting Remo nutrients. Still getting lots of love. She stands just under 32 inches tall. There is some nice funky smells coming from her too. A OG funk with a sharper scent from the Ripley. She is loving life.

20170701_010846.jpg
20170701_010857.jpg
20170701_010902.jpg
20170701_010906.jpg
20170701_010924.jpg
20170701_010931.jpg
20170701_010936.jpg

Enjoy.:pass:

Update:

Day 53 for this lady. Nothing has really changed. Still growing good. Still getting Remo nutrients. Still getting lots of love. She stands just under 32 inches tall. There is some nice funky smells coming from her too. A OG funk with a sharper scent from the Ripley. She is loving life. Enjoy.:pass:

Are you finding that using the Remo Nutrients calculator works fine with autos or do you still need to dial down to 1/2 or 1/4th strength?

Back