Old Reviews Nifty free course on plant nutrition

Olderfart

DIY whenever possible, and sometimes when it isn't
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Various strains, via MCT oil tincture, gummies, dry flower vaping.
Not sure whether this is the best location, but here is the link to a nice basic course on plant nutrition. A bit long on text, short on photos, and not specific to cannabis, but authoritative, well written, and free:

Getting a good grasp of these basics will help you understand and interpret advice received if you need it.

Happy reading peeps. :pighug:

Thanks for the feedback peeps, I am glad to hear that you found the link useful. Everyone who grows weed, and I include my relatively ignorant self, could improve their skills and confidence at the game by spending some time looking at basic plant science stuff like the course in the link. Bottom line is that our favorite weed is a plant, and pretty much all the science applies.

But I freely admit my bias. I am a recovering scientist of sorts, so I like this academic stuff. Rumaging around in it may not keep my aging grey matter sharp, but it still entertains me to no end. Lots to learn for me, and that is one of the things that makes growing fun.

I think the whole point is to learn!! You cant get good at anything without learning something about it nature and life force. Learning how the soil works is what I'm looking for. Been growing 4-5 yrs now and all this stuff is still new to me and I like to learn!! I'm on my first grow with all organic stuff.

@Bigg Al, you mention moving to organic - I have a kiddy pool of soil being built as we speak. :biggrin: I figure it might make this winter's grow another learning experience.

The most recent amendment was digging in ~4 gallons of seaweed I fetched from the coast when I went out to do some boat work. Crab shells may happen from the next trip. In the meantime, lots of kitchen compost, and likely a mitt full of red wigglers from a friend's farm. There be life in that there pool.

Being able to read the plants will no doubt come in handy if I try the soil approach, hence part of the reason for interest in courses like the one linked above. By the way, the best collection of photos and discussion of leaf symptoms I have come across are over at growweedeasy.com. It does a nice job of extending the more general science information to specific cannabis culture.

Happy growing, and happy learning! :pighug:

This us what i use for my Cherry Bomb grow.

Now, I know a lot of folks dont like FFOF but I use this as my base. It's full of stuff to get started.
2 Gallons
Next, FFHF, I like this cause it has mycorrhizae and humid acid
2 Gallons
Compost, I say any you can get a hold of.
1 gallon
Perlite
1 Gallon

Mix and let sit for 2 weeks. I water the whole mix with
2 tsp molasses and 5 ml of liquid urb when I'm about to use the soil. Yes, I ph the water!! 6.0 -6.5

Then, I have been using Dr. Earth products with this as it has all micro and macronutrients in them.
This is a simply soil mix that can be use for your start into organics(for me anyway!)
20200610_231250.jpg
20200618_130456.jpg
20200618_130423.jpg
20200620_120649.jpg
20200620_120705.jpg

I got all this good stuff here so I'm trying to make it work. This is what I got in it.
Bomb Seed Cherry Bomb
20200618_131514.jpg

She's at day 50. Journal is in Bomb Seed section
And is also my battle plant.

Happy looking plant! Nothing wrong with those results. :pighug:

Did you do the super soil setup with the rich stuff in the lower 1/3, or did you use the same mix throughout the pot?

Happy looking plant! Nothing wrong with those results. :pighug:

Did you do the super soil setup with the rich stuff in the lower 1/3, or did you use the same mix throughout the pot?
Whole pot. Then been top dressing with the same products. And making teas.

Not sure whether this is the best location, but here is the link to a nice basic course on plant nutrition. A bit long on text, short on photos, and not specific to cannabis, but authoritative, well written, and free:

Getting a good grasp of these basics will help you understand and interpret advice received if you need it.

Happy reading peeps. :pighug:

Have you seen Harley Smith's master class on YouTube sponsored by RAW?

Thank you for the link.

Back