New grow tent setup. Question about ventilation

Reaction score
I just setup a 4x8 tent in my 6x12 garden shed with the following:

8x 15L Autopots Connected to 100l flexitank. Autopots are filled with clay balls at bottom and 70/30 coco/perilite mix
2x quantum led Light board. 400w draw from the wall per led light.
1x cheap 150mm intake fan bringing in air from outside the shed directly into the tent
1x high quality 100mm Centrifugal High Flow exhaust fan that is connected to carbon filter
1x standing oscillating fan

The tent is sealed as much as I could seal it.

The garden shed is not well insulated or sealed. It can become damp quite easily during cold rainy weather.
My question is, can I exhaust the air from inside the tent to just outside the tent but still within the garden shed? I am thinking this would help the air quality in the shed and help it be less damp. Would this be ok? The other option is exhausting the air directly outside the shed through another vent I can install. What is the better option here?

Attached pictures for reference. Thanks in advance for any help. I am looking forward to getting started with my new hobby. I am just germinating some of the free auto flower from seeds I received from Seedsman and herbies to try for my first grow, nothing planted yet.

Attachments

• 1CC5B818-F9FB-4141-8BD4-66677AEFB047.jpeg
    1CC5B818-F9FB-4141-8BD4-66677AEFB047.jpeg
    499.9 KB · Views: 48
  • A4A28154-920A-4112-A63F-592696FE1DE0.jpeg
    A4A28154-920A-4112-A63F-592696FE1DE0.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I just setup a 4x8 tent in my 6x12 garden shed with the following:

8x 15L Autopots Connected to 100l flexitank. Autopots are filled with clay balls at bottom and 70/30 coco/perilite mix
2x quantum led Light board. 400w draw from the wall per led light.
1x cheap 150mm intake fan bringing in air from outside the shed directly into the tent
1x high quality 100mm Centrifugal High Flow exhaust fan that is connected to carbon filter
1x standing oscillating fan

The tent is sealed as much as I could seal it.

The garden shed is not well insulated or sealed. It can become damp quite easily during cold rainy weather.
My question is, can I exhaust the air from inside the tent to just outside the tent but still within the garden shed? I am thinking this would help the air quality in the shed and help it be less damp. Would this be ok? The other option is exhausting the air directly outside the shed through another vent I can install. What is the better option here?

Attached pictures for reference. Thanks in advance for any help. I am looking forward to getting started with my new hobby. I am just germinating some of the free auto flower from seeds I received from Seedsman and herbies to try for my first grow, nothing planted yet.
id start with venting inside the shed see how the temps and RH go unless your outdoor shed is very well sealed up fresh air will have no problem finding its way in

Toss a thermometer and a hydrometer and get some actual readings, day, and at night. And outside #s for comparison.
Shed growing can be a real challenge without environmental control.

Many of us need to run dehumidifiers indoor to combat high rH, guessing this will be something you need to look into.
Temps... you say cold nights... plan for keeping things within optimal temps? Cool to cold temps will severely impact overall size and growth.

If cold temps are the norm, might look to high pressure sodium lighting to add heat and some ir.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t have readings yet but should have them by the end of the week once thermo meter arrives.

Would like some thoughts on what I have done thus far to see if I am on the right track:
I have had 8 out of the 12 seeds I planted in jiffy cubes germinate and sprout. From what I read it’s good to move them out of those little cubes ASAP once you know they are viable to avoid stunting.
So I flushed the 70/30 coco perilite mix in the Autopots and planted them. I placed little cups over the top of the seedlings that have several small holes in them.
i have quantum board led lights that take 400w from the wall on max power. I put the lights on around 30% power for now.
Planning to water the Autopots by hand not frequently until roots hit the bottom

Sounds like you’ve got it straightened out :thumbsup:. I will say you probably don’t need those cups around the seedlings, there’s the chance you could dampen them off if it’s too moist inside. I usually will just keep a dome on the planted seed until it sprouts just to keep the soil moist around it, then I’ll remove the dome soon as it’s above soil.

Hand water for a 2-3 weeks, or until the leaves reach the sides of the pots, then you can put them onto the reservoir.

Readings during day yesterday showed a max temp of 34 degrees. Humidity is around 50 % Summer is starting out here where I live. This is too hot for the plants so I will be installing the exhaust vent ASAP. In the mean time I am just leaving the garden shed door open.

This is reading from during the night(shed door closed)

Attachments

• 301A4DA9-A0B1-4387-9CAA-AD915829AA9A.jpeg
    301A4DA9-A0B1-4387-9CAA-AD915829AA9A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
Back