Need advice on 1st Autoflower Grow

High there everyone ? I'm not a new grower, but I can't say I'm real experienced either. I've done 3 grows over the past year but they were all photo period grows. I decided to try out some auto's for the 1st time so I could use some advice. I'll give you the run down of my set up. I'm just going to do 2 plants this time to get a grasp on things. I will use my 2' x 4' x 6' tent since it's only 2 plants & I already have photo period plants in my big tent. I was thinking of using my 2' (4 Bulb) & 2 - 2' (2-Bulb)
T-5's for germination for the 1st week or two. Then switching the T-5's out to a 600 Watt Meizhi LED after germination. Should I do it this way or should I just start out with the LED's ?
I'm growing in a 50% Bio Bizz Light Mix, 20% Coco Fiber, 20% Perlite & 10% Vermiculite Mix in 5 gallon cloth pots. I've always just planted my seeds directly in the soil before & I've only had 1 that didn't pop so far. But I'm not sure if I should do that with auto's. I could do the wet paper towel method if needed. But I'm not sure how soon to put them in the soil if I do the wet paper towel thing.
As soon as they pop ? after the root is 1/2" long ? When ?
I'll do the 20 / 4 light schedule. I have a Fan, Carbon Filter, Duct Muffler, Oscillating Fan & all the rest of my needs all set up & ready to grow.
Also, how long before I start adding nutes ?
I'm doing 1 Pyramid Seeds White Widow & 1 Heavyweight Wipeout Express to start out with.
Any tips would be deeply appreciated as I'm just dying to pop these seeds I got today & get growing.
Thanks !

Just use the led and straight into the soil. It's dark and moist in there just like the paper towel.

My opinion is that autos should be grown almost exactly like photos, except with 20-4 or 24-0 lights sprout to harvest.
Topping, training, etc all work fine.
Go easy on the nutes, 1/4 - 1/2 nute pushers' recommendations, and less for early seedlings.
I use RapidRooters, but believe that planting directly in the medium would be fine.

I'd just go with LED from the start that way you don't have to mess around switching later keeping it 30-36" from top of pot for seedlings and then adjust as needed. I've only done coco grows but I start my seeds soaking for 24hrs and they normally crack and show tail. At that time I place direct into their final pots about 3/8" down.

Well, we are a good bunch here. Pretty much active all the time. Start a journal and get to know some people. I think you will like the vibe!

Welcome to afn

I'll have to read some other peoples journals 1st so I know what to put in one. I usually just read the other stuff people ask questions about to get my answers & gain some knowledge. Never have read any grow journals yet because I'm usually looking for answers to something in specific. But I'm kind of settled in now so I guess it's time to read a few of them.

Welcome to AFN, if you want to know what not to do, ask me. Lol

Sent from my comfy chair
[emoji41][emoji2956][emoji848][emoji12][emoji42]

Well, a journal will be a good place to keep answers to questions in one place. I occasionally just post information in mine as a place to store it safely, which isn't my brain!

I'm going to read a few journals over the weekend since I finally got some time off work. If I have any questions afterward I will surely get in touch with you. Thanks !
I do have a different question. Do Auto's sprout in about the same amount of time as Photo periods ? I planted 2 seeds 3 days ago straight into my grow medium in 5 gallon bags so I'm kind of wondering when something should be showing through the soil. I was thinking they might sprout faster since they grow so fast. My Photo's always take 5 - 7 days to show. I'm also not real sure about watering in this type of grow medium. I've always grown Photo's in Fox Farms Soils. I guess the Coco & Vermiculite retain water more so I'm thinking I should either give less water each time I water or water a little farther apart than usual. I put a gallon of pH 6.4 water through each pot 1 day before planting seeds. Since then I've added 1 - 24 oz. cup of water per day to the area I planted the seeds. Soil is not very wet; but I don't want to give too much water till I see something sprout. Then I would start increasing the amount of water. After I see 3 sets of leaves I usually start adding Nutes. Does all this work for Auto's ?

Test

Test
Back