name brand nutrients? any difference?

Reaction score
so I've been using GH flora series with the full line with great success for one year after curbing all my bullshit tendencies to switch products and interchange formulas.
However, I was sold somehow on Humboldts secret line sampler pack of nutrients. It seems a grand deal simpler than the Flora series with all its additives. How about secret seems to use one additive and they tell you that's good enough for the facilitation of nutrient uptake and all the jargon that everybody says about their main additive. However I find it includes only one ingredient in it is a type of seaweed which I am not a custom to. It is not ascophyllum nodosum, Which seems to be the most common form of seaweed kelp used by everyone and
widely held, for years, to be the best. What is the deal with this new company that uses one additive and a strong enzyme formula as their total additive regimen?
Another drawback it seems to Humboldt secret nutrients is the fact that they do not include any sulfur whatsoever in their line. Correct me if I'm wrong but I've studied the sheets extensively I don't see any siulfur anywhere. Seeing how is it an essential nutrient, one of the first 10, I don't see how they even made it to production without sulfur in their line.? WTF? is there anyone else that notices that Humboldt secret doesn't have any sulfur? You would if you try to get through an entire grower that I can assure you.

now onto another one,. Mills nutrients. Another simplified as it looks group of concoctions. They go line on their nitrogen which I like but then use it as their starter formula, which seems deceitful, as rapid start, and roots Excelerator are NOT this at all . Yeah they are the primary starter and nutrients that handle roots for their own respective line of nutrients.

Most synthetic formulas are smoke and mirrors. Jack's 15-5-15 with some calcium nitrate works just as well. That's all any of the 2-part base nutrients are: salts in water. The additives are usually things like kelp, molassas, biologicals, or extra salts split up into separate bottles unnessecarily (just buy dry nutes if you want individual additions).

The thing about nutrient labels is that they only have to list the minimum quantity of nutrient in the bottle. There could be far more than on the label. It may be the case there is sulfur in the Humboldt secret formula that isn't on the label.

The kelp that Golden Tree has in it is Saccharina japonica. It is cultivated in China mostly. Ascophyllum is generally wild-harvested in the North Atlantic. There are negative ecosystem impacts to mechanical kelp harvesting (maybe less with hand harvested kelp). They both have alganic acid in them, but will differ in nutrient profiles. I am not sure what the differences or implications would be.

I have grown with good success with many name brand nutrients. I am such a thrifty person my mother called me a cheapskate. So I have also grown with rock bottom brands as well. Once you understand that plants only need 17 elements to grow and some Bio-stimulants to help the plants assimilate the elements and thrive then it is easier to decide what fertilizers will give you that at the best value.

Most synthetic formulas are smoke and mirrors. Jack's 15-5-15 with some calcium nitrate works just as well. That's all any of the 2-part base nutrients are: salts in water. The additives are usually things like kelp, molassas, biologicals, or extra salts split up into separate bottles unnessecarily (just buy dry nutes if you want individual additions).

The thing about nutrient labels is that they only have to list the minimum quantity of nutrient in the bottle. There could be far more than on the label. It may be the case there is sulfur in the Humboldt secret formula that isn't on the label.

The kelp that Golden Tree has in it is Saccharina japonica. It is cultivated in China mostly. Ascophyllum is generally wild-harvested in the North Atlantic. There are negative ecosystem impacts to mechanical kelp harvesting (maybe less with hand harvested kelp). They both have alganic acid in them, but will differ in nutrient profiles. I am not sure what the differences or implications would be.
Yeah I'm sending this Humboldt secret stuff back. It's got zero sulfur in it and that type of seaweed is just bullshit Because it's not tried and true and we can't be sure if it worked. So why the hell would you put another ingredient then ascophylum nodosum ? it's what Everybody knows and everybody uses anyway. What in the world is this company thinking? I think I thought I was ordering Humboldt County's Own when I saw this but hell I think I'm gonna go with MILLS nutrients. That shit looks really simplified. Only thing I have not checked out is it's botanical ingredient. I think it is either the start R or the C4. i'll get that line and then I'll have an alternative to GH. I'm not getting rid of GH. But I am going to stop buying diamond nectar im pretty sure and from the looks of it they don't believe in dry koolbloom anymore because I think Ripen is the new thing they feel is good for the end of cycle. It's a 0.5-7-6 I don't know whatever was wrong with the 0-14-13 stuff. I think that was always the traditional numbers and that's what Mills offers also.
what do y'all think about Signal as an end of cycle ripener?
The last three weeks of bloom or what I'm concentrating on right now.

I had never heard of it, but Signal just looks like potassium hydroxide and Epsom salt. Sure, that's fine. Though, unless there are other active ingredients hiding as "preservatives" or something, you can get those way cheaper. Potasium Hydroxide is usually what is in pH-up products, and Epsom salt is dirt cheap.

Mills Start R has Saccharina latissima, Irish kelp, in it. Again though, powdered, whole kelp is pretty cheap and easy to make teas with.

Back