Moving to permanent pots

Reaction score
Hi,
I am germinating seeds in Root Riot pellets. I get very good germination results. I wanted to ask the experts about transplanting these pellets to permanent pots. I see what appears to be a pause in growth over the first couple of weeks.

I plant the pellets in the permanent pot as soon as they pop. I put a colored cup over them as a dome to reduce the light as they are in a tent with plants at different ages. These seedlings appear to grow fast up to about 3" then seem to pause for a week+. I am just wondering if this is common or normal. Once they get past this stage they grow as expected.

I was wondering if their roots are growing in the pellet then having to get used to the hotter soil exiting the pellet? I use Roots Organics Original and do not amend for up to 21 days, just water.

Thanks for your help.

Update: I think I will use some LSD seeds hermies seeds to test and examine root structure coming out of the pellets. (I like these pellets as I have only lost 2 seeds using them. )

Last edited:
Hi,
I am germinating seeds in Root Riot pellets. I get very good germination results. I wanted to ask the experts about transplanting these pellets to permanent pots. I see what appears to be a pause in growth over the first couple of weeks.

I plant the pellets in the permanent pot as soon as they pop. I put a colored cup over them as a dome to reduce the light as they are in a tent with plants at different ages. These seedlings appear to grow fast up to about 3" then seem to pause for a week+. I am just wondering if this is common or normal. Once they get past this stage they grow as expected.

I was wondering if their roots are growing in the pellet then having to get used to the hotter soil exiting the pellet? I use Roots Organics Original and do not amend for up to 21 days, just water.

Thanks for your help.

Update: I think I will use some LSD seeds hermies seeds to test and examine root structure coming out of the pellets. (I like these pellets as I have only lost 2 seeds using them. )
I recently decided to use Miracle-Gro until the pot size is over a gallon, because it holds moisture better than Happy Frog or Buildasoil. But I've heard that media is too hot for cannabis seedlings. This is a new thing, and I have a two-day-old seedling in such a pot. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I notice the same sort of thing.

Hey guys.. going to miracle grow from happy frog is going backwards.. Happy frog is good stuff, watering a bit more often shouldn't be so bad..
I'm at about every 2 days. You actually want it like that, feed..water..water. feed..water..water. autos don't need much food, if it calls for 5ml use
just 1.5ml. don't feed week 1.
Small cups you may have to water daily, I would. why I start in 1gal pots smallest. but to each his own.

Roots Organics is great soil, Foxfarm Strawberry Fields is too. I mix them.

buy good soil, use light nutrients and don't let them go to dry.. and yes, your waiting for the roots to expand beyond the plug.. mostly those are used for cuttings in my world. Germinate using damp paper towel until you get a 2" tail, plant into pot, walla. I've tried both over 20yrs trust me,
straight into dirt is best.

good luck

Hey guys.. going to miracle grow from happy frog is going backwards.. Happy frog is good stuff, watering a bit more often shouldn't be so bad..
I'm at about every 2 days. You actually want it like that, feed..water..water. feed..water..water. autos don't need much food, if it calls for 5ml use
Small cups you may have to water daily, I would. why I start in 1gal pots smallest. but to each his own.

buy good soil, use light nutrients and don't let them go to dry.. and yes, your waiting for the roots to expand beyond the plug.. mostly those are used for cuttings in my world. Germinate using damp paper towel until you get a 2" tail, plant into pot, walla. I've tried both over 20yrs trust me,

good luck
I moved from paper towels to plugs to improve success rates. I just got a cloning machine for cuttings. I am going to raise some mom's soon.
I would like to use the paper towel method but was losing a lot of seeds. As I get more experienced I don't worry overly about losing a plant here and there. Soon I will be growing from cuttings and using seeds to taste new strains.

good luck

I know that and agree. And I probably shouldn't advise it because it's risky. Happy Frog is the best medium I've used so far (the third one I used was from Buildasoil). I tried Miracle-Gro in the past and it didn't work well - but not in one gallon pots and not for this reason.

I'm better at growing than I was last summer and I'm trying different things to compensate for a dry climate. It's difficult for me to water every single day, which is what I have to do for plants of any size at all in a one gallon pot. They can dry out and wilt in 24 hours if I don't keep an eye on them.

But I don't think there are too many hard-and-fast rules until they've been tested with a specific grow setup. But I'll do anything twice, just to try.

Banana Kush
Last harvest from pellet. I planted two Banana Kush. I got what I guess are 2 phenotypes. This one had very little odor. The other stinks to high heaven and is like banana. From yesterday. The buds, when dry are tight and dense. The buzz is largely a head buzz.

I just switched from a mix of HF and RO soils. Now all Roots Organics. I am thinking it might need silicon and magnesium added after germination.

Overall, I think the pause in the pellet's growth is largely roots massing then breaking out.

20220201_105003.jpg
Banana

I always just assumed it was prioritizing roots until it had enough structure underground to support major growth.

Back