Indoor Mephisto GWK (Grape Walker Kush) & AvT (Alien vs Triangle)

Thnaks much for seed and savings info, appreciate that ....

Sounds like you found Thread .... Isn’t that Cold Glue, aka Sticky Jane just beautiful .... She could pass for a poinsettia, hardly any training but some early cola bending sideways and that was it, some leaf tucks ....

Sam’s Crack had cola trained for almost 45 days, stretching sideways forming that nice round mound .... cola is on the right side and there’s more there than camera can get - I’m running two cons and are too lazy to turnoff so pics get washed ..... I’m running 334 Watts over those two, had three but moved Strawberry Nugs in with 3 Bears, all Battle Plsnts at one time, only Sam made the cut ....

So 334 times 1.5 means I’m gunning for around 500 grams just to be PAR and 580 range for 1.75ish - 2 would be obviously 668 ....

My tent height would need to be higher to accomplish 2 grams, I think ..... I have the light power no doubt but right now Im close to the top had has to take down the light rail, due to height, I like running s rail, gives more even PAR coverage and better side penetration but you need tent height, I’m only 78” and planter and saucer and turntable bearings under saucer Amazon product takes 14” of space and light needs 30” or so above plants so there 45” and plant hasn’t grown yet - only leaves 32 inches at most, I need a taller tent ..... Thinking of a Grolla 3’x3’ Tall and do individual Cob and one plant, fill the tent with a single plant - one light - Do AvT @ClydeWalters is suggesting ....Maybe a single 300ish HLG .... haven’t consider light, just tent size and I see a plant like AvT filling it.

I’ve got this thread sub, will track ya ....

Peace
:pass:

Fully intended to reply to this post earlier...

NP on the seed/savings info. On that note, if you haven't heard, Mephisto has a double grape deal on today.

I didn't find the thread, just saw the picture from your post. Send a link I'd like to follow along.

And yes, exactly - she'd pass for a poinsettia!

My mother in-law still believes autos from my last outdoor run were some kind of spicy pepper plant... Lol.

Sam's looks like the kind of team player you'd want to get those numbers up. If I ran 4 of those Glueberry's... Jeez. That plant alone accounts for almost 1gr/w. I could have definitely fit another 2. Pushing it, but reckon I could squeeze in a fourth... Yield averages would suffer a bit tough.

What's the PAR value and at which range for your optics setup? Through my short tenure, I'm convinced wattage capacity isn't the end all. Find a light with a high par:watt ratio and the ability to gain close proximity to a canopy add to that a strain with the ability to mold and produce - I think this is how you begin to really excel in the grams per watt produced numbers.

My floor to top of light distance was approximately 32" on this last run. Not sure more height is needed to increase that production ratio.

Last edited:
Fully intended to reply to this post earlier...

NP on the seed/savings info. On that note, if you haven't heard, Mephisto has a double grape deal on today.

I didn't find the thread, just saw the picture from your post. Send a link I'd like to follow along.

And yes, exactly - she'd pass for a poinsettia!

My mother in-law still believes autos from my last outdoor run were some kind of spicy pepper plant... Lol.

Sam's looks like the kind of team player you'd want to get those numbers up. If I ran 4 of those Glueberry's... Jeez. That plant alone accounts for almost 1gr/w. I could have definitely fit another 2. Pushing it, but reckon I could squeeze in a fourth... Yield averages would suffer a bit tough.

What's the PAR value and at which range for your optics setup? Through my short tenure, I'm convinced wattage capacity isn't the end all. Find a light with a high par:watt ratio and the ability to gain close proximity to a canopy add to that a strain with the ability to mold and produce - I think this is how you begin to really excel in the grams per watt produced numbers.

My floor to top of light distance was approximately 32" on this last run. Not sure more height is needed to increase that production ratio.

Give mother-in-law some seeds, tell her to keep them a secret ......

Optic, I’m running 525 to 560 right now, pretty even across canopy and I’m about 30+ inches above, if I try to go to 600 leaves curl, light avoidance issue .... I found that 3 Bears OG does not,like mich over 525ish and big issues if exceed, she will drop .... thinner leaves - less light I’m thinking ..... about 32” above, haven’t measured recently...

Moved Nugs outa tent and gosh darn if Sam isn’t moving into her space, thinking if only Sam in tent she would be even bigger .... Excited to get the numbers, another 3-4 weeks before .... patience’s grasshopper .....

Just today I saw review on the BEST Lights for 2019 and HGL and Optic both had lights in the group ..... New lights for light a 4x4 are becoming much bigger but less output per square inch so as to avoid the hot spot issues and provide more even canopy ...... If I had the height I would be running my light-rail and PAR closer to 600 .... Hot spots hurt .....

Had stuff in basket at Mephisto but then when I woke up this am Deez Nugs was gone, so I trashed basket, may return now on that that double grape, maybe my next battle plant .....

Peace!

Last edited:

Optic, I running about 525 to 560 right now, pretty even across canopy and I’m about 3+ inches above, if I try to go to 600 leaves curl, light avoidance issue .... I found that 3 Bears OG does not,like mich over 525ish and big issues if exceed, she will drop .... thinner leaves - less light I’m thinking ..... about 32” above, haven’t measured recently...

Moved Nugs outa tent and gosh darn if Sam isn’t moving into her space, thinking if only Sam in tent she would be even bigger .... Excited to get the numbers, another 3-4 weeks before .... patience’s grasshopper .....

Just today I saw review on the BEST Lights for 2019 and HGL and Optic both had lights in the group ..... New lights for light a 4x4 are becoming much bigger but less output per square inch so as to avoid the hot spot issues and provide more even canopy ...... If I had the height I would be running my light-rail and PAR closer to 600 .... Hot spots hurt .....

Had stuff in basket at Mephisto but then when I woke up this am Deez Nugs was gone, so I trashed basket, may return now on that that double grape, maybe my next battle plant .....

Peace![/rein lies the beauty about a dimmable light... Decrease your canopy to light distance, drop wattage output, maintain

Optic, I’m running 525 to 560 right now, pretty even across canopy and I’m about 3+ inches above, if I try to go to 600 leaves curl, light avoidance issue .... I found that 3 Bears OG does not,like mich over 525ish and big issues if exceed, she will drop .... thinner leaves - less light I’m thinking ..... about 32” above, haven’t measured recently...

Peace!

Therein lies the beauty about a dimmable fixture... Decrease your canopy to light distance, drop wattage output, maintain par at canopy level = increase gr/w.

Therein lies the beauty about a dimmable fixture... Decrease your canopy to light distance, drop wattage output, maintain par at canopy level = increase gr/w.

I didn’t know lower yielded higher - thought so long as PAR is X at Canopy and you have pentathlon- Guess with lower, penetration maybe better, yea?

My next light will be a dimmable fixture ....... Optic 8 is dimmable but there are others that may fit the bill better as Optic 8 footprint is smaller .... HGL 550 I think it was, on the list and between now and June who knows ....

Maybe even go individual COB Units so I can set individual plant height as well as requirements .... I can see benefits from plants sitting in a row with COB over each ..... Like a 32” by 120” or so long with space for each plant ..... Entryways would be removable panels, 1.5 inch thick foam with diamond Mylar - Velcro attached ......

Move will provide new opportunities as well as challenges.

I didn’t know lower yielded higher - thought so long as PAR is X at Canopy and you have pentathlon- Guess with lower, penetration maybe better, yea?

My next light will be a dimmable fixture ....... Optic 8 is dimmable but there are others that may fit the bill better as Optic 8 footprint is smaller .... HGL 550 I think it was, on the list and between now and June who knows ....

Maybe even go individual COB Units so I can set individual plant height as well as requirements .... I can see benefits from plants sitting in a row with COB over each ..... Like a 32” by 120” or so long with space for each plant ..... Entryways would be removable panels, 1.5 inch thick foam with diamond Mylar - Velcro attached ......

Move will provide new opportunities as well as challenges.

You got it, for example see the umol chart on the QB 288 v2's in this particular arrangement.

https://www.horticulturelightinggroup.ca/products/260w-qb-v2-led-kit

Umol value increases between 200-300% just by adjusting the fixture 12". These reading are a sample taken at maximum capacity. The correlation between umol/watt is relatively linear.

In other words, if I want 500 umol at my canopy, I can do so with my fixture at 100% (270w in this case) at 24" above canopy OR I can do so with my fixture at ~50-60% (135-150w) at 12" above canopy.

Either scenario, the canopy is getting the same usable intensity of light - difference being the number of watts required to deliver that light over a particular distance.

At least that's my understanding... But what the hell do I know?!?

I like the idea of cobs on a per plant basis. If I had the height, I might have gone cobs over quantums. Nevertheless, ignorance is now bliss. Happier than a pig...

You got it, for example see the umol chart on the QB 288 v2's in this particular arrangement.

https://www.horticulturelightinggroup.ca/products/260w-qb-v2-led-kit

Umol value increases between 200-300% just by adjusting the fixture 12". These reading are a sample taken at maximum capacity. The correlation between umol/watt is relatively linear.

In other words, if I want 500 umol at my canopy, I can do so with my fixture at 100% (270w in this case) at 24" above canopy OR I can do so with my fixture at ~50-60% (135-150w) at 12" above canopy.

Either scenario, the canopy is getting the same usable intensity of light - difference being the number of watts required to deliver that light over a particular distance.

At least that's my understanding... But what the hell do I know?!?

I like the idea of cobs on a per plant basis. If I had the height, I might have gone cobs over quantums. Nevertheless, ignorance is now bliss. Happier than a pig...

In the stall example, the cobs seem to be logical choice, you’ll be able to adjust per plant and if you figure it Right, when planting, you should be able to benefit neighbor plants with side lighting ..... adjusting air flow and temps may prove to be an issue with the stall design which puts me back to a large tent with individual area around the perimeter and HVAC and dehumidifier/ humidifier inside tent in the middle .... I have room for an 8x8 with 100 amp,service - inside a 2 1/2 car garage but summertime temps will be hot and possible humid, ok for veg, not so good for flowers .... thinking time!

Update time.

Finally, things are starting to get exciting. This group has gotten off to a rough start, no fault of their own, but I'm happy to see some vigor these last couple of days.

GWK's on the left.
Cali Haze in the middle.
AVT on the right.
IMG_20190325_171626.jpg

Decision time - see that top right pot? Here's an enlargement.

IMG_20190325_171643.jpg

That little guy on the right is an AVT. She was born with only cotyledons, zero sign of any serrated leaf. She's been above soils for almost 13 days. I thought she'd die off, so I dropped another GWK bean (left) in preparation. As you can see, she's a fighter. Any thoughts - do I (1) cull the AVT, or (2) cull the GWK or (3) let them both run their course in that 3gal fabric pot?

Otherwise, things are moving along now. Almost all are showing mild signs of ca/ma deficiencies (those QB's...). That will be addressed accordingly.

This is my first run in which I attempted to re-use a portion of my previous medium - mixing in new product with some amendments. Feeling slightly apprehensive but, tis what it is at this point.

More to come now that things are in motion.

Oh and also happy to report - Mephisto Double Grapes (x5) arrived today with a side of Northern Cheese Haze (x2). Cannot wait to get these DG's started!

IMG_20190325_171704.jpg
IMG_20190325_171712.jpg

Bye AVT - Hello GWK

Rinse / Repeat - Reuse NO

Looking good!! I think you made the right choice to ditch the AvT and you won’t be disappointed with another GWK. I’m awaiting a DG arrival soon and I’ll be dropping that in water as soon as humanly possible!

Back