Lower Leaves Going Yellowish/Brownish

Reaction score
Problem:
Some of the lower leaves are turning yellow and brown and drying on all three of my plants (and its happening fast). On the other hand, the tips of the upper leaves are getting a bit yellowish (looking like nute burns). Also on of the plants the leaves have become dark green and the inner parts light green color.

Medium/grow method:
Plagron Light Mix Soil with extra perlite added

Feed: and supplements used:
Was going to follow TaNg’s improved schedule but it did not go well.
Day 1-10: Just phed wa

Day 10: Sensi Bloom AB 1ml, voodoo juice 1ml per liter

Day 15: Sensi Bloom AB 1ml, voodoo juice 1ml, calmag 1ml per liter

Day 20: Sensi Bloom AB 1ml, voodoo juice
1ml, calmag 2ml per liter (I wish I knew its stupid to even think of using calmag but somebody adviced me so I even doubled it up...)

Day 20-32: just plain water because they got nute burned

Day 32: Sensi Bloom AB 1ml, voodoo juice 1ml per liter

water source:
store bought drinking water adjusted to 6.2-3 pH (I will use tap water left to wait 48 hours from now on because I think the ppm of the drinking water is really high) (I dont have ppm meter)

Strain/age:
Jack Herer Auto 36 days old

light used:
Samsung LM301H 240watt quantum board

Climate:
Was too hot at the beginning: 28 C
Then I brought it down to: 25/26 C since last week

Also humidity was around 60% for the first 4 weeks
Now its around 40

First Plant:
DAE59F2F-0DB6-42B9-BCE7-BFDBFB940C22.jpeg

ADC2052F-6EC0-4216-8D98-1B989C690BFE.jpeg
F55CA1B5-E5BA-4BF0-BA71-7CA3D2BA00F5.jpeg
CA5CCBCA-231B-42CF-A57E-7724A5363760.jpeg

Second Plant:
5ECAB61B-A74D-4A83-8C6D-0E23F489D580.jpeg
758223E4-BE6A-4442-97FB-2D8F6F824423.jpeg
CD2F20B5-05A8-498E-81D4-57EE9AD312C6.jpeg

Third Plant: (The one with the dark green leaves)
BFF88E0D-6459-4B23-A99E-32FF7E27AE4B.jpeg
492B04EB-81CB-4B74-BA11-E56DCC48267A.jpeg
95B8920F-5633-4033-8EF4-53ECD1EA8169.jpeg
072D6071-D639-4BC1-9526-0BC423BA4B76.jpeg

The leaves are pretty dark in general - perhaps this is a nutrient (nitrogen) toxicity or some kind of lockout - especially from the doubling down of calmag (which may also have extra nitrogen), as well as the potentially hard “store bought drinking water”. Bottled water is usually pretty heavy on the calcium as is. A flush may be in order, but a second opinion would help.

If it makes you feel any better, I had plants that looked worse than yours at this stage, and after a flush and proper nutrient correction, it turned out fine. That being said, you NEED to get yourself a good ppm/ec meter.

-tronN00dles

The leaves are pretty dark in general - perhaps this is a nutrient (nitrogen) toxicity or some kind of lockout - especially from the doubling down of calmag (which may also have extra nitrogen), as well as the potentially hard “store bought drinking water”. Bottled water is usually pretty heavy on the calcium as is. A flush may be in order, but a second opinion would help.

If it makes you feel any better, I had plants that looked worse than yours at this stage, and after a flush and proper nutrient correction, it turned out fine. That being said, you NEED to get yourself a good ppm/ec meter.

-tronN00dles

Wish I knew about the store bought drinking water thing earlier. Thank you for sharing your experience with me and your advice.

Unfortunately, I dont have the budget to get a good ppm meter for this grow and also corona restrictions are increased in my area atm so all shops are closed atm.

Since it my first grow ever, I m having a hard time learning healthy watering, nutrients and flush etc.

I “flushed” the soil yesterday by pouring 1.8 liters of tap water waited out for 72 hours through it (I watered until some water came out from the bottom). And tomorrow or the day after (according to how fast soil gets dry) I will give Sensi Bloom AB 1ml, Voodoo Juice 1ml, Calmag 1ml per liter.

Do you think it would be too much to add 1 ml Carboload as well.

Plant 1 and 2 are losing lower leaves fast because of yellowing.

Only the 3rd Plant’s (one with the darkest leaves) lower leaves are not doing so bad.

Watering until run-off isn’t flushing. That’s just watering. A typical flush would be with 3x the pot volume, so if you’re in 3 gal pots, a flush would require 9 gallons of water. It’s a bit of a process.

Does your town have a water quality report you could look at? Flushing is controversial in general so I’d be apprehensive to pump that much water through without knowing what’s in your water - you could end up making things worse. And your sensi nutrients, I’m not familiar with them but does their feed charts give recommended dosages and say anything about ppms? And is it the whole line your providing, not just “picking and choosing” a couple? I use GH nutes, who have a 3-part, 6-part and 10-part line up. I can’t just “pick” 4 of the 6-part if that makes sense, as I’ll end up with nutrient unbalances and further lockout.

It’s hard to gauge these nutrients in terms of mL, as I really don’t know their ppm. Perhaps someone familiar with that line up can chime in.

Anyhow, I can tell you that a cheap ppm pen is better than no ppm pen. The same is not true for ph in pens however. Cheap pH pens can destroy your plants as they can be way off. My cheap Chinese Amazon ppm pen doesn’t differ too much from my Bluelab pen however.

-tronN00dles

So you have several things going on, though I'm not experienced enough to know the root cause. My suspicion, though, is the CalMag. Why? because when I started my grow someone recommended I add CalMag at every watering, and my leaves started looking like yours. I caught it a bit earlier, but it got worse before it got better:

It may be helpful to read Man O Green's nutrient post here:

Other things going on:

* As mentioned, you really need a PPM pen to know what your starting level is and what it is after adding nutrients. I saw you mentioned the pen isn't in your budget right now, totally get it.

* Your PH is too low for soil. Check that nutrient link I listed above, for soil 6.4-6.7. Man O Green has been growing for ~50 years so he knows his stuff.

* Your humidity is too low. I've attached a VPD chart, but at 25/26C in early flower, the right range is 60-65%.

Read my emerging issue thread, as there was also feedback against flushing. You'll also see that I was able to turn things around, wishing the same for you and your plants!

Attachments

• Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-2.jpg
    Leaf-Vapor-Pressure-Deficit-VPD-2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 27
So you have several things going on, though I'm not experienced enough to know the root cause. My suspicion, though, is the CalMag. Why? because when I started my grow someone recommended I add CalMag at every watering, and my leaves started looking like yours. I caught it a bit earlier, but it got worse before it got better:

It may be helpful to read Man O Green's nutrient post here:

Other things going on:

* As mentioned, you really need a PPM pen to know what your starting level is and what it is after adding nutrients. I saw you mentioned the pen isn't in your budget right now, totally get it.

* Your PH is too low for soil. Check that nutrient link I listed above, for soil 6.4-6.7. Man O Green has been growing for ~50 years so he knows his stuff.

* Your humidity is too low. I've attached a VPD chart, but at 25/26C in early flower, the right range is 60-65%.

Read my emerging issue thread, as there was also feedback against flushing. You'll also see that I was able to turn things around, wishing the same for you and your plants!

Thank you so much and WOW! Your plants look like they made a great comeback!! Congrats on your first grow and for taking the right actions.
I ve read Man of Green’s post last week and still trying to put the knowledge in to practice.

I ordered one of the cheapest ppm meters hope it will be better than not having one... It will arrive some time next week.

Update on the plants:
I watered it with phed tap water (unfortunately couldnt learn the ppm)
I think there were not much build ups in the soil and my plants are starving.
So
Tomorrow on the next watering I will give Sensi Bloom AB 1ml and voodo juice 1ml per liter

I know troonnoodles said its hard to say anything without the ppm but is it okay if I add carboload 0.5 or 1ml per liter (because I should have started to use that last week) ?

Thanks for the advice for the humidity. The chart is amazing. I increased the humidity back to 60%.

I will upload new photos soon. I hope I can put my plants on the right track like you!

First Plant:
46EA81CE-97D8-4A83-BE02-3DF4335F352E.jpeg
90C14942-EBB3-4798-99B6-17FCE2B80C33.jpeg
Second Plant:

79468722-5D56-44AB-BD2D-11B8E549492C.jpeg32DC7DAD-C01A-4C28-9201-15EC29AE999D.jpeg
Third Plant( a bit different leaf problem than the other two):
4FC87D47-4350-480C-BC91-6E2E5911CA0B.jpeg
8E1541D1-88AE-4019-9588-AC1E764A4442.jpeg
F5C4E348-5450-4736-A8CF-4B6A175B50C3.jpeg

So I just did a quick peak at the nutrients your using. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're using 1mL/L of sensi bloom AB, 1ml/L of voodoo juice and now considering 0.5mL-1mL of carboload?

One thing that sticks out here is 1mL/L of sensi bloom is quarter strength where as 1ml/L of voodoo juice is half strength. I don't think you should do that, as you're throwing the balance off of the manufacturers recommended feeding ratios.

I also did a quick search and someone online said that 1mL/L of sensi bloom works out to around 300ppm excluding water quality. It's reasonable to think that when you add quarter strength carboload and voodoo juice back into the equation, you'd be sitting near to where your ppm should be - again, excluding water quality.

So to summarize, my recommendations are:

1. Stick to quarter strength nutrients at 1mL/L of sensi bloom AB, 0.5mL/L of voodoo juice, and 0.5mL of carboload. Use fresh pH'ed water in between every feeding (maybe consider two fresh water applications in between each feeding). Water every 2-3 days.
2. Keep track of temperature and humidity based on the VPD chart.
3. No more calmag.

I think at least some of your problems are primarily based on calcium toxicity, as well as using half-strength voodoo instead of quarter-strength voodoo. Remember as per Man O Green's tutorial, you have to keep those things in balance.

I'm still iffy as to whether you should flush or not - again, probably best to wait until you get your ppm meter. Also, I don't think you need to be letting your tap water sit for 72 hours - not that you're doing any harm or anything, it's just annoying lol. I typically only let mine sit for a couple of hours to get rid of any chlorine. Again, a water quality report or ppm analysis would be very helpful. I can say from my own experience, I have flushed in early flowering on almost all of my grows with good success. But again, I have great tap water. The fact that you thought you needed bottled water, or needing your tap water to sit for 72 hours implies you don't have much faith in your tap water. Why is this exactly?

Anyhow, I do think you'll get some nice bud out of this. The plants are a little burned, but I'm optimistic about this one. There's good potential here and I think you're on your way to getting this problem sorted.

-tronN00dles

So I just did a quick peak at the nutrients your using. Correct me if I'm wrong but you're using 1mL/L of sensi bloom AB, 1ml/L of voodoo juice and now considering 0.5mL-1mL of carboload?

One thing that sticks out here is 1mL/L of sensi bloom is quarter strength where as 1ml/L of voodoo juice is half strength. I don't think you should do that, as you're throwing the balance off of the manufacturers recommended feeding ratios.

I also did a quick search and someone online said that 1mL/L of sensi bloom works out to around 300ppm excluding water quality. It's reasonable to think that when you add quarter strength carboload and voodoo juice back into the equation, you'd be sitting near to where your ppm should be - again, excluding water quality.

So to summarize, my recommendations are:

1. Stick to quarter strength nutrients at 1mL/L of sensi bloom AB, 0.5mL/L of voodoo juice, and 0.5mL of carboload. Use fresh pH'ed water in between every feeding (maybe consider two fresh water applications in between each feeding). Water every 2-3 days.
2. Keep track of temperature and humidity based on the VPD chart.
3. No more calmag.

I think at least some of your problems are primarily based on calcium toxicity, as well as using half-strength voodoo instead of quarter-strength voodoo. Remember as per Man O Green's tutorial, you have to keep those things in balance.

I'm still iffy as to whether you should flush or not - again, probably best to wait until you get your ppm meter. Also, I don't think you need to be letting your tap water sit for 72 hours - not that you're doing any harm or anything, it's just annoying lol. I typically only let mine sit for a couple of hours to get rid of any chlorine. Again, a water quality report or ppm analysis would be very helpful. I can say from my own experience, I have flushed in early flowering on almost all of my grows with good success. But again, I have great tap water. The fact that you thought you needed bottled water, or needing your tap water to sit for 72 hours implies you don't have much faith in your tap water. Why is this exactly?

Anyhow, I do think you'll get some nice bud out of this. The plants are a little burned, but I'm optimistic about this one. There's good potential here and I think you're on your way to getting this problem sorted.

-tronN00dles

Damn, I did not even think about this aspect of nutrients. Giving all of them at the same ratio sounds simple and logical yet I missed out on it in my first grow

I will give them at quarter strength and will be careful about keeping them at the same ratio from now on.

I live in a really big city with 20 million population and the the quality of the tap water is really bad. Also the amount of lime (I m bot sure if its the right Word in english, calcitic?) is SOOOO high.Since I did not know the exact amount of time it needs to wait out, I just wait it out for 72 hours (which really is annoying ) just to be sure.

Thank you for all your help. As a first time grower I was losing my faith in being able to learn how to succesfully grow but it gave me hope again to hear your comment. Best wishes to you...

When it comes to VooDoo Juice, as well as Advanced Nutrients other two supplements for roots, they only call for them for two weeks in early veg and, once again, for two weeks in early flower.

That’s it, from start to finish.....

Back