Live Stoners Live Stoner Chat - Jan-Mar '23

Status
Not open for further replies.
251622D9-F5A3-4939-9D6D-8854EDD9657A.jpeg

So how do site updates work? We gonna like wake up tomorrow and have to sign back in and it'll be a new world or something like that? I haven't noticed any differences yet :shrug:

Everything has to be moved over to the new servers first, over a terabyte of data. Then all of our add-ons like chat and custom programs have to be installed Licenses transferred and tested. Not everything will work with the new underlying XenForo software. We hope most of it will. Testing can take a lot of time because each time you add a different add-on it all has to be tested again. Then when it is supposedly all working a move of the final data and the new servers take over the job of hosting the site.

I am an MCSE Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I spent 20 years setting up servers and moving domains. Shit always happens. I forgot to load all of the CFO's files one time, boy did I get an ass chewing from him in the morning meeting. Just to retaliate for his lack of understanding of how complex the operation was I told him they were lost forever in the black hole bit bucket, the look on his face was priceless. I already had told the CEO his files were in the process of being restored and would be done before the meeting was over. He instantly knew it was a joke when the CEO did not fire me on the spot. I have lost files to hard drive corruption though because companies wait until the hardware is on its last legs and migration works them to death. I have many horror stories of being on the phone with Microsoft support Sunday afternoon to the wee hours of Monday morning because that shit had to be working by 7am Monday morning. I learned how to speak Indian slang English because so many help desk employees were based in India. You had to be on tier 3 to speak to someone in the USA. First tier was always totally useless. They made you run through a script of tests that were so basic, totally frustrating because I already tried that several times but you could not get to the second tier until they passed you off. Most of the time the second tier knew the MS problems and how to solve them. Most of this was located in some obscure MS bulletin that never got published. MS was good about keeping broken stuff secret. If you went to the third tier you got actual MS engineers that could fix broken code. These guys were hero smart on their topic. I really do not miss the stress of that job.

Anyhow we will get through it and then we can get back to being stoned. Oh wait I never quit.:pass:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back