LED lamps with integrated IR and/or UV chips vs lamps with only white full spectrum chips

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first post on this forum (this is a copy of a post I made on another forum which doesn't seem to be very active).

I've been reading quite a bit about grow lights, spectrums, etc. One thing I'm wondering is why some led lamps only have full spectrum led chips (like the lm301h), while other include some far red, or some IR, or some UV. And of those that include these "extra" wavelength, some include only UV, some only IR, some both, etc...

So my question is, why would someone choose one type vs another? Why go with only full spectrum chips while you can have IR included, and why choose this while you can have IR + UV + Far Red? Or on the contrary, why have a lamp that includes everything instead of having only full spectrum ones and adding IR and UV bars in between the full spectrum ones?

I know that UV chips durability is weak (not 50.000h like other led chips), but apart from that aspect, which doesn't apply to IR and Far red chips, any other reason?

I would like to have you views both as a hobby or commercial grower.

Thanks for your insights,
Olivier

Thanks Potato,
I know about the effects of various wavelength. My question is more about what are the pro's and con's of having the various wavelength led chips integrated in the same grow light, as compared to having multiple lights with specific wavelength each.

Aside from marketing hype which most of it is. IR can be useful in a colder grow space to help raise the leaf temperature. It is minimal and an oil filled heater is a better tool.

UV light can stimulate the terpene profile of the plant. It is questionable whether these little chips can add enough UV to be of any benefit? I use some serious t5 48" AgroMax bulbs to do the job.

ScreenHunter_273 Aug. 21 23.52.jpg
ScreenHunter_273 Aug. 21 23.51.jpg

Far Red is an important part of the light spectrum for flower development. I run the ChilLed Growcraft Flower version Lamps that are heavy far red. I supplement more blue in veg with some pucks.

ScreenHunter_305 Nov. 21 10.43.jpg

I also use far red for stretch when flower is starting by running them for 15 minutes after lights out during the first week of flower transition.

Blue Puck.jpg
Far Red Puck.jpg

So most of the Lamps that have a couple of IR or UV chips are junk IMPO.

Back