Outdoor Keep your plants watered while your away.

Nelson

R.I.P. Gone, but not forgotten.
Reaction score
I just got back from a weeks holidays and found my plants in good shape. It was fun seeing them looking so great with the new forming bud. At least they were not stolen.

My phone message machine was bliknking like crazy. One of the messages was from a club member and moaning over his plants that had dried out and were runned. I went over to see them they were in 10 gallon containers and they were very wilted looking very sad indeed.

Of course the best way to handle going away is to get a friend you trust to check water them and water t6hem everyday that it is needed.

Plants in the ground of course do much better than plants in containers. Plants in containers dry out and their roots die. Plants severely droughted lose a lot of roots and take a long time to come back.

It is very simple to keep your container plants watered. Soak them down well and then prepare a bunch of 2 litre plastic pop bottles. I drill a 1/8 " hole in the top of each plastic cap. I add a little fertilizer cause most liquid fertilizers have a wetting agent which helps the water to move around the pot. Dig a four inch deep hole in the top of the soil near the outside edge of the pot and invert the bottle with the water and fertilizer mix upside down into the soil. For ten gallon pots I use 2 bottles. Hanging plants I give one bottle only. This helps them not to dry out and you can safely leave them for five days. It usually takes four days for the water in the pop bottles to get used up. Hope this helps you battle the drought and keep your plants watered in your absence.

Where was this post 2 days ago :lol:. Nice info Nelson...
I postponed a trip this week-end cause of my plants. Mine was more of growth issue into my light fixture, but I still worried about water to. +rep Nelson

I've done something similar with water bottles. Got the idea from AquaGlobes which do work well & look cool, but they're pricey and don't hold a lot of water.

Aqua+Globes+4.jpg

OK I got no idea what capilary matting is. Give us more info if you don't mind. Or a site address to read up on it.

Hey thanks guys for all the likes. Never had so many on one post.

Thanks Buddha for the articles and experimenting. It is what keeps this a good site.

yep - nice one - Im definetely going thermolam hunting
:thumbs:

I didnt get a chance to get out and check here for thermolam but this has had me thinking all day so have got a few metres of capillary matting on order - Im an expert of under and over watering as well as both for feeding so hopefully such a system will be great for the canna and veggirs alike

great thread folks
:thumbs:

Back