Just put my first seed in a Jiffy Pellet. Now I have dumb questions...

Reaction score
So I bought a 2x4x6 tent and a Phlizon 240w light. I bought three-gallon fabric pots. I am going to use Sohum as my medium. I have a fan and filter and that is about it. I am adding two clip-on fans and a humidifier as the climate with nothing in there and the light on is about 80F and 45%RH. So, now the questions...

1. I noticed with the tent closed and the fan on there is a lot of negative pressure. Is there a limit on how much is too much?
2. My tent has a lot of vent openings on it. Should I seal them all? How does the tent get air inside if all vents are sealed? I currently have one open to let some air in.
3. How do I let the seed/seedling sit in the Jiffy pellet? When should I transplant into the sohum?
4. How full should I fill the three-gallon pots of sohum? Do I want to have it moist when I transplant or transplant then water?
5. I moved my light to the right of the tent as far as I could and the jiffy pellet to the left. My light does not have a dimmer and I am worried about how much light it is getting. Is there a simple way to check and make sure I am not melting my baby?

The next is more about no-till living soil and sohum.

6. Can I use sohum as a no-till soil? Like if I plant some cover crop right on top and add some red wigglers, will it be good to go? It seems really light and airy and I would worry there wouldn't be enough soil for the worms to live in. But I have heard of people doing this. What are yall's thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings. If you have any other advice I should hear, I am all ears. I am so excited for what the future holds!

1. I don't think there is a limit, other than burning out your fan.
2. Open as many as needed for airflow/temp/humidity. It's a dance, you'll figure it out.
3. Transplant when you see roots out the bottom
4. only 3 gals? Fullish. Leave a little room for whatever you intend to do on the top (mulch, top dress, etc)
5. Your plants will let you know. Hang 'em high at the beginning. With horticulture lights, it's more likely to damage via heat than light.
6. Yes. But 3gals is too small for no-till. Perhaps too small for worms. Plan on feeding. I ran 6g "water only" soil and it ran outta gas around week 4.

1. I don't think there is a limit, other than burning out your fan.
2. Open as many as needed for airflow/temp/humidity. It's a dance, you'll figure it out.
3. Transplant when you see roots out the bottom
4. only 3 gals? Fullish. Leave a little room for whatever you intend to do on the top (mulch, top dress, etc)
5. Your plants will let you know. Hang 'em high at the beginning. With horticulture lights, it's more likely to damage via heat than light.
6. Yes. But 3gals is too small for no-till. Perhaps too small for worms. Plan on feeding. I ran 6g "water only" soil and it ran outta gas around week 4.
4. I'd fill them suckers to the top. Gonna need all the medium he or she can get in those 3 gal pots. The medium will settle. Cant do a no till anyway...
IMO. Heck I'd mound it up a little in the middle.

3. I put mine in a solo cup with the same medium that’s in the final pot. Pull it up once you see the tap root coming out of the bottom you can put it the final pot.

5. You can download a lux meter for free on your phone it’s not 100% accurate but it will give you an accurate enough reading to know if your light is too close etc...

Also just watch the top leaves if they look like a taco or canoe raise the light up if you see curling in the margins of the leaves it’s usually light stress.

3. I put mine in a solo cup with the same medium that’s in the final pot. Pull it up once you see the tap root coming out of the bottom you can put it the final pot.

5. You can download a lux meter for free on your phone it’s not 100% accurate but it will give you an accurate enough reading to know if your light is too close etc...

Also just watch the top leaves if they look like a taco or canoe raise the light up if you see curling in the margins of the leaves it’s usually light stress.

Potting up is good.

I think there is near zero chance of that blurple providing too much light.

Is it the COB one. The Cree COB 2000 or a straight blurple?
Either way hang it at 36" slowly lower it. Watch the plant.

Is it the COB one. The Cree COB 2000 or a straight blurple?
Either way hang it at 36" slowly lower it. Watch the plant.

It is neither. I linked it if you click on the name of it. It is a linear QB like a mars hydro 2000. Its a 1000w QB with 240 actual watts.

I think there is near zero chance of that blurple providing too much light.

It is not a blurple. I linked it if you click on the name of it. It is a linear QB like a mars hydro 2000. Its a 1000w QB with 240 actual watts.

4. I'd fill them suckers to the top. Gonna need all the medium he or she can get in those 3 gal pots. The medium will settle. Cant do a no till anyway...
IMO. Heck I'd mound it up a little in the middle.

Do you all think I should move to 5 gal? or even bigger? I am worried about how many I can fit in that small space. I thought about going with 5 gal, but was worried they would be too much. I can pick some up and transplant into those if they would be better suited for the Sohum.

Sorry all, havent used a forum in a long time. I will make sure and reply to everyone in the same comment from here on out.

The pot is fine. No worries.

Back