Introduction and First Grow Questions!

Reaction score
Hello all! First post here. First grow too. My Virginia Legal Day grow seems to be slow going, but growing regardless. This is a freebie seed from Herbie’s Seeds, a Gorilla Glue Auto. When I contacted Herbie’s, they were able (or willing) to provide me with info about the specific seed bank that provides these GGA seeds they give out with practically every order. But I’ve seen this seed perform well on a popular YouTube series under adverse conditions, so I went into it thinking I’d have a pretty easy go of it.

(for the record the first attempt at growing one of these seeds failed miserably, a lot of which was my fault)

This seed was germinated on 7/1, broke soil on 7/4, and the most recent pics are from the last few days (8/7-8/10). She’s about 7” tall over all, and I guess by the calendar, she’s 5 weeks above soil. Flowering started about a week ago.

She was sprouted in a coco seedling puck, and transferred to a 3-gal fabric pot full of Fox Farm Happy Frog the day after I noticed pistels (week 4). Nutes include Fox Farms trio, now using the full spectrum in a general feeding mix, lightly applied only when the soil is dry and the pot is light in weight. I’ve noticed a positive response to LST and the new soil too, she’s doubled in size on the last 1.5 weeks.

Lighting is a generic LED grow lamp from Amazon, and currently she’s living in my bedroom closet due to downright OFFENSIVE temperatures here in the valley this summer. I have a new 2x2x4 tent which should be on my door step this evening to contain the growing environment.

I’m looking for any feedback you all may have regarding my grow, my set up, and the progress of this particular plant. And again, hello from VA!!!!
B8B9E839-CFC6-43AD-BFF6-D96F0608D147.jpeg
00378020-34B7-4F9B-BDFF-E99EA909DB6D.jpeg
4417406A-8172-40DA-84FE-330BE16415C1.jpeg
09305CEA-CD52-4040-B74B-8246F692038E.jpeg
91FDB1F6-2144-4555-BE33-EA3B96FB3726.jpeg

@Nverinder716:welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:. Other than the small stature of the plant it looks fine. The stunting was probably caused by transplanting and the minimal PPFD provided by that light. Transplanting an auto is not a good idea. When you can afford it get a better light. You want one with 1000 PPFD capability. :goodluck:.

@Nverinder716:welcome:Welcome to AFN:welcome:. Other than the small stature of the plant it looks fine. The stunting was probably caused by transplanting and the minimal PPFD provided by that light. Transplanting an auto is not a good idea. When you can afford it get a better light. You want one with 1000 PPFD capability. :goodluck:.
Hey, thanks for the welcome and the info! This girl’s doubled in size AFTER the transplant though, I feel like she recovered ok from the move, you think?

A better light is next upgrade, maybe a better exhaust fan for the tent too. Just put together the new 2x2x4.5, and got the vent system hooked up again. Still runs too hot I think. Probably the light introducing a lot of the heat. Heat’s been my number one enemy I think.

Hey, thanks for the welcome and the info! This girl’s doubled in size AFTER the transplant though, I feel like she recovered ok from the move, you think?

A better light is next upgrade, maybe a better exhaust fan for the tent too. Just put together the new 2x2x4.5, and got the vent system hooked up again. Still runs too hot I think. Probably the light introducing a lot of the heat. Heat’s been my number one enemy I think.
I live in the San Joaquin Valley of California so I know hot.

Well, hello there fellow Virginian. Welcome, and congrats on your first grow. You’re off to a really good start from the looks of it.

Transplants seem to trip a lot of people up, so kudos to you there! For what it’s worth, I have always transplanted my autos I generally see slowdown for a day or so, but sometimes none at all. Regardless, once you start seeing those pistils you can expect crazy growth like that. It’s my favorite phase. (Well, next to post-harvest festivities)

Are you doing intake from bottom of tent and exhaust from top? You probably are, but want to throw that out there just in case. How is your humidity? If you don’t have one, you can snag a little blue tooth thermometer/hygrometer on Amazon for cheap. It really helped me to have lots of daily data as I was dialing things in.

keep doing what you’re doing!

I'm also a Virginia virgin, lol. With mine it was the same way. Open tent, did it grow? Did this for a few weeks, and then one day I opened it and was like, damn.

Attachments

• 2CAA8EACA998_1628241155570.png
    2CAA8EACA998_1628241155570.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 2CAA8EACA998_1628467479169.png
    2CAA8EACA998_1628467479169.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
Well I didn’t know I’d bump into a bunch of VA peeps here! Nice to meet you all, thanks for the welcomes!!!

olegren, I was worried about the transplant too, based on all I’ve read about how potentially damaging it can be. But I’ve been transplanting veggies from solo cups to a raised bed at all ages for quite a while and never had an issue, so I just swing for the fences! I also did not have my permanent medium on hand either, so I also had little choice. Humidity stays around 45-50% all the time, especially since moving indoors. And the new tent setup has strong intake from a 6” fan in a lower vent, and exhausts through a carbon filter in the top. Unfortunately I’ve got a positive pressure situation to figure out now. Venting the tent at the top by opening it just a bit has really dialed the temps back though!

540Grower, those girls looking HEALTHY! Judging by your screen name, you and I are probably not that far apart!!!!

Thanks for the welcome AutoBob!

Just checking in, not sure where else or how else to post updates on my grow but I wanted to share! Little more than two weeks since the pics above, and my Gorilla Glue girl is starting to get a little aromatic! Enjoy!

6324A1AD-B9A4-4BA8-AE04-DCCCB9E28EB3.jpeg

FE8215E7-E218-4AFF-AB4D-F138A18F3FB9.jpeg

991CBD6A-F8A0-46A4-91CB-815C6029DD71.jpeg

49418F31-09A6-4EE2-B6A9-F758D0D0C54B.jpeg

How are your first time grows growing?

Back