Hlg 135 rspec questions

Marthajeep

Americannabis
Reaction score
Hew peeps, I just got my first hlg light and have a few questions for those with experience with this model. It’s the hlg 135 rspec. 288 board with a mean well hlg-120h-54a. I’m growing in a 24”x24” space. I’ve been looking around and from what I’ve seen, I’m starting out at 24” from soil at full dim. (30 hour soak and split, then straight to soil last night). I don’t have a kill-a-watt and don’t really want to buy one at this point. So my question is, with this model, what is the power at full dim vs full power?

My second question is that I have a vipar va1000 (separate dim for veg and bloom) from my last grow and figured I might as well use it as supplemental. The hlg has a temp of 3500k and is recommended for seed to harvest. So I was thinking I could use the two spectrums of the vipar at various stages. Right now I’m starting it at just half veg for seedling. The claimed actual draw is 230watts so I would assume one of two spectrums would be 115w and having it set to 50% would be about 57w at 24”. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Report •••

Hew peeps, I just got my first hlg light and have a few questions for those with experience with this model. It’s the hlg 135 rspec. 288 board with a mean well hlg-120h-54a. I’m growing in a 24”x24” space. I’ve been looking around and from what I’ve seen, I’m starting out at 24” from soil at full dim. (30 hour soak and split, then straight to soil last night). I don’t have a kill-a-watt and don’t really want to buy one at this point. So my question is, with this model, what is the power at full dim vs full power?

My second question is that I have a vipar va1000 (separate dim for veg and bloom) from my last grow and figured I might as well use it as supplemental. The hlg has a temp of 3500k and is recommended for seed to harvest. So I was thinking I could use the two spectrums of the vipar at various stages. Right now I’m starting it at just half veg for seedling. The claimed actual draw is 230watts so I would assume one of two spectrums would be 115w and having it set to 50% would be about 57w at 24”. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

Report •••

133 watts based on Meanwell's specs. You're rocking over 30 watts per square foot though so I don't think the extra light is necessary.

If you have the height, I would just let them grow up towards the light - 30-36ish inches away and adjust from there.

I'm running the same light in the same space (2x2x4). When I bought the light I asked if I needed to dim it, I was told "no, run it turned all the way up and you'll be fine." That's what I did and I got excellent results right off the bat. Just finishing up my third grow with this light and it's great.

133 watts based on Meanwell's specs. You're rocking over 30 watts per square foot though so I don't think the extra light is necessary.

If you have the height, I would just let them grow up towards the light - 30-36ish inches away and adjust from there.
I already have the vipar and the room bc I have a taller tent
I'm running the same light in the same space (2x2x4). When I bought the light I asked if I needed to dim it, I was told "no, run it turned all the way up and you'll be fine." That's what I did and I got excellent results right off the bat. Just finishing up my third grow with this light and it's great.

Did you start full from seed? What height did you use at the different stages? I’m glad your happy with the light, makes me excited. I got the vipar for my first grow before getting into the forums, which came with many ass chewings and ample degradation! What do you think about using the vipar? Not so much as added light, rather spectrum supplement? I know it’s not “necessary”, but I actually have the slightly bigger 27”x27”x63” with rigs that can take the lights within inches of the top. I have plenty of room for both, if I don’t use it, it’ll just hang turned off. I’d use it to start new plants, but my house is so small I literally have just one option to grow and that’s where I grow.

Did you start full from seed? What height did you use at the different stages? I’m glad your happy with the light, makes me excited. I got the vipar for my first grow before getting into the forums, which came with many ass chewings and ample degradation! What do you think about using the vipar? Not so much as added light, rather spectrum supplement? I know it’s not “necessary”, but I actually have the slightly bigger 27”x27”x63” with rigs that can take the lights within inches of the top. I have plenty of room for both, if I don’t use it, it’ll just hang turned off. I’d use it to start new plants, but my house is so small I literally have just one option to grow and that’s where I grow.

What do you intend to achieve with the addition of the Vipar? The quantum board already has a great spectrum with supplemental reds.

What do you intend to achieve with the addition of the Vipar? The quantum board already has a great spectrum with supplemental reds.
I know. I figured since the hlg was running at 3500k I could throw a little extra blue to keep nodes tight and red to add a little extra flower power. I’m Dutch, thought maybe I could still get something from using what I already spent money on. At least then I didn’t waist all of money I spent on it.

I know. I figured since the hlg was running at 3500k I could throw a little extra blue to keep nodes tight and red to add a little extra flower power. I’m Dutch, thought maybe I could still get something from using what I already spent money on. At least then I didn’t waist all of money I spent on it.

Just checking you out lol.

Reasonable imo. Maintaining warm temps at night and foliar feeding kelp will help keep everything tight bar genetics. You could probably do extra blue from veg to stretch then switch to red through flower and finish ripening with more blue.

I just don't know how well the Vipar is going to do - temperature could be an issue but either way good luck. Though to appeal to your inner Dutch grower, ScynceLED and California Light Works offer tunable spectrum lights to do what you are describing.

A lot of us have previous upgrades laying around...kinda like the island of toys that have lost their reasons....
To get away from the heat of hps,I began upgrading...again, again and again.
Now I have qb, cobs, and leds....and just to say I tried, I'll change the lights month to month...and surprisingly found my plants liked the cheapo led best.
I never dim anything since I veg in a different space and move sexed plants into the bloom tent where i run everything full blast.
So I say change out sometimes...watch for differences, like I said....addictive watching plants respond.

I did start from seed, I had the light height about 16" to start and then I adjusted based on how the seedling looked. I also went 18/6 right off the bat. I must've gotten it right because I never burned or over stretched any of them. As far as other brands of lights go, I have no experience with them. I just started growing last year.

I can definitely relate to your space issue! While my place isn't exactly small, acceptable places to put a tent limited me to the 2x2. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to go 4x4.

Back