Help Me With Seed Production

Hey im new to the site, and to Autoflowers. I have a few beans of a strain I really like and am seeking some advice on how to do a seed run with one of my last remaining beans so I can keep her around
Ive never tried to get seeds before so I would appreciate any info on:

1.How much longer to let the plant grow after normal harvest time to make sure the seeds mature.

2. Do I need to change the nutrients to help have healthier seeds. Lkke instead of using veg for veg and bloom for bloom, would yiu need to increase the veg nutes during the flowering period to help the seeds grow, or do they require a bloom feeding to grow better ?

3. If I self pollinate an auto do the F1 seeds. That you collect retain the Auto traits or do I need to backcross to make sure they remain Auto. In other words is the Auto trait still recessive in the F1 seeds from an auto plant if self feminized ?

4. How do you do backcross with an Auto ? If you didnt cross with a male and female, but only used feminized pollen, do you just make feminized pollen from the parent beforehand and store it till your F1s or F2s have grown andnd then take said pollen from the parent to cross to the F1?
Or when you do a backcross does it matter if the parent is a male or female ? Like does it make a difference if the F1 pollinates the parent or if the parent pollinates the F1?

5. Any books I should read specific to breeding and or autoflower breeding.
Do books on breeding cannabis photoperiod relate to autoflowers ? Is the Autoflower just considered a recessive gene like anything else ?

6. If you want to start making crosses with your Autos, do you need a male auto or can you cross strains with feminized pollen ?

7. I did have another question but cant remember it right now. I think it had to do with making Autos from an Auto and a Photoperiod strain. Also any advice for making an auto sativa would be appreciated. Im thinking you have to cross to an indica first.

8. How do you create Fast flowering crosses ? I know that there is a difference between an auto and a fast flowering, but I dont understand how to create fast flower.

Alright thank you for any information you can give me I would really appreciate any advice and or knowledge you can pass on to me. Even a suggestion for a good old book to read is welcome.
Stay Safe
- ✌

1.How much longer to let the plant grow after normal harvest time to make sure the seeds mature.
I let mine go about 5 weeks after I pollinate.

2. Do I need to change the nutrients to help have healthier seeds. Lkke instead of using veg for veg and bloom for bloom, would yiu need to increase the veg nutes during the flowering period to help the seeds grow, or do they require a bloom feeding to grow better ?
I keep the N going a little longer.

. If I self pollinate an auto do the F1 seeds. That you collect retain the Auto traits or do I need to backcross to make sure they remain Auto. In other words is the Auto trait still recessive in the F1 seeds from an auto plant if self feminized ?
Typically "selfed" plants are referred to as S1. They will be auto's and in my experience they are almost exactly like the plant you "selfed".

4. How do you do backcross with an Auto ? If you didnt cross with a male and female, but only used feminized pollen, do you just make feminized pollen from the parent beforehand and store it till your F1s or F2s have grown andnd then take said pollen from the parent to cross to the F1?
Or when you do a backcross does it matter if the parent is a male or female ? Like does it make a difference if the F1 pollinates the parent or if the parent pollinates the F1?

Hope that helps some
I believe you would just use the Pollen from your reversed plants and pollinate your S1 seeds.

5. Any books I should read specific to breeding and or autoflower breeding.
Do books on breeding cannabis photoperiod relate to autoflowers ? Is the Autoflower just considered a recessive gene like anything else ?
I'm not sure of any

6. If you want to start making crosses with your Autos, do you need a male auto or can you cross strains with feminized pollen ?
I make crosses all the time with the feminized pollen

8. How do you create Fast flowering crosses ? I know that there is a difference between an auto and a fast flowering, but I dont understand how to create fast flower.
I believe that is simply a f1 or f2 of a Photo period crossed with an autoflower. The auto flower trait wont be present.

WoW I cant believe you just answered all of my questions like that !
I really appreciate the time you took to do that for me
I was so confused about how just a simple crossing worked. I still have a lot of questions, but ill try to digest all the knowledge you just fed me for awhile first before I ask any more
Seriously that was awesome !
Thank you

@HappyTrees23 ....Look for a Big Male that flowers between 28-35 days under 20-24 hour lights....... :headbang: .....IF your cross selection has any.

Amazon product

I haven't Read this....but I'm Guessing it will have Autoflower specific breed guides..ah..it Does.... :headbang:

1613391550244.png

I was so confused about how just a simple crossing worked.
I mostly just reverse plants to keep the genetics I like so I don't have to continually buy seeds. I always make sure to paint brush a little pollen on anything else I have growing in the tent for some fun crosses. There is a lot of snobbery around this kind of "pollen chucking" but I enjoy it and I don't sell my seeds and give them freely to Canadian friends. My favorite cross so far is a Dinafems OG kush cbd X with Dina Kush cbd and then crossed with Bubba Kush to bring back up the thc and some flavour.

bud.jpg

Damn I wish I lived in Canada ☝
Thank yiu for the book suggestion Mossy

Im also looking for info on how to keep specific phenos in seed form.
Like if I grow out 12 plants and find a specific pheno I like, I think its better to create S1 seeds then F1s Im pretty sure.
BUT I wonder if out of all the S1 seeds if yiu find that pheno again if crossing back to the mother that had those ohenos as well, if that would help ensure those NEW seeds would have better chances of having those phenos in every seeds.
Idk if that makes sense haha. I dont even know what those S1s crossed with the mother would be called. I just know I want a particular smell and taste im going to need to hunt for, and then I want to ensure that every or close to every seed I plant from that will give me the same exact pheno taste and smell every time or close to it anyway. I have no idea how to do that. Ill check out that book thou and another I found by Greg Green. Thank you both !

......My favorite cross so far is a Dinafems OG kush cbd X with Dina Kush cbd and then crossed with Bubba Kush to bring back up the thc and some flavour.

View attachment 1287639

That looks and sounds incredible !
I hope I can end up soing stuff like that in the future.

Alright stay safe everyone.

Admin Edit;

@HappyTrees23 ....appreciate you are New to AFN....so I have edited your post only.
There is no seed trading ...it is against site rules....
:headbang: ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn I wish I lived in Canada ☝
Thank yiu for the book suggestion Mossy

Im also looking for info on how to keep specific phenos in seed form.
Like if I grow out 12 plants and find a specific pheno I like, I think its better to create S1 seeds then F1s Im pretty sure.
BUT I wonder if out of all the S1 seeds if yiu find that pheno again if crossing back to the mother that had those ohenos as well, if that would help ensure those NEW seeds would have better chances of having those phenos in every seeds.
Idk if that makes sense haha. I dont even know what those S1s crossed with the mother would be called. I just know I want a particular smell and taste im going to need to hunt for, and then I want to ensure that every or close to every seed I plant from that will give me the same exact pheno taste and smell every time or close to it anyway. I have no idea how to do that. Ill check out that book thou and another I found by Greg Green. Thank you both !
If you S1 a pheno you like the offspring will be similar to the pheno but you will also get variants of that plant. I’m guessing it would help to self (S1) a pheno you like, take detailed notes of how it grew and smelled and smoked, then pop some of those S1’s and look for those traits and work it to S2(?) and so on and so forth.

Back