Harvest & Curing Have to Travel Soon -- Need Advice on Keeping My Grow Alive

Reaction score
I have a dilemma and a couple of questions that I would love to get some expert advice.

I am on my first indoor grow, and estimate that it will be ready to harvest in 2-3 weeks. Some of the pistils are golden, but still have quite a few white ones on both plants. The trichs are all clear at this point. As it is my first grow, I am definitely guestimating the remaining time. It is already within the harvest timeline of the seed source, but they are running longer.

I have to be out of town for 5 days in about a week and a half, so am concerned for the timeline. How fast does the progression usually go from not quite ready to harvest to the optimal time? Will it perhaps progress too fast during the 5 days I am gone, so I miss the best opportunity to harvest before all the trichs turn gold?

Also, I’m paranoid to leave the space heater unattended in the tent for the time we are gone, so I am contemplating moving the plants to a bathroom in the house where the temperature will be warmer (probably not as warm as it should be, but better than a freezing garage). The humidity will be low, but I have no way to control that over a 5 day period. I have purchased some of the BluMats to set up my watering over the time I am gone. I am running AutoCobs, and trying to figure out how to mount them temporarily in the bathroom so the plants will still have the light.

Any suggestions from folks that have solved these problems will be greatly appreciated!

I just went through this over Christmas, we left home for 7 days. Like you I wasn't going to risk burning the house down for a few extra grams of weed so I went without the space heater, we left at week 7 for the plants on the day and returned on week 8 on the day for a comparison timeline for you. We run on wood heat so the house gets cold while we are gone, grow room temps (3x3) were 5C lights off and 11C lights on for the entire week. The morning that we left I just completely drowned the plants and kept filling up the tray the pots were in (3gal pots) until the soil wouldn't suck up any water. When I got back the small MedGom hadn't drank it all, the pineapple express was good and ready for a drink and the bubble kush probably would have been dead in another day or 2. The MedGom and Bubble Kush put on some beautiful fall colours and the Pineapple Express didn't really seem to care. Probably lost a few grams in total harvest in the end but I knew that that might happen when I planted them at the end of October. The house temp when we got home from vacation was 4.5C and I'm running a 400 watt hps and had two 12" fans on low running while lights were on the whole time as well. Hope this helps ease your nerves some, and also at the rate my plants are progressing I wouldn't worry about over shooting your target time, you'll prob have to wait another week or 2 when you get back by the sounds of it.

@Canabliss thanks for the info and reassurance! Sorry I haven't responded before now, but got hit with the flu and have been feeling horrible until now. My plants are definitely not happy either, could hardly get out of bed to feed my dogs much less haul water. They did get their water and nutes, but a couple of times later than they are used to. I guess I have them spoiled. The trip will be a double insult, but nothing I can do. I think they will be ready to harvest, or close enough that it shouldn't be a problem. I know I will still get a good harvest from them, and I've learned a lot along the way.

Sorry about the flu hopefully you kick it soon. You'll have plenty more future grows to make up for anything this one lacked, and those autoflowers are a different beast they almost seem to like it rough a bit. I know for sure if I was running photos they wouldn't have survived the punishment I put this run through lol.

Back