Indoor Hardon's First AFN Grow - Fast Buds West Coast OG GLR SCROG

As a fellow small space scrogger I'm really curious to see how this turns out. Count me in...subbed.

Did you pull 11 ounces in that 2x2 tent?

Best of luck!

Welcome aboard fellow small space scrogger :biggrin:

Yeah it was in my DR60. I was growing out a couple of freebies (Sour Diesel and Sweet Skunk alongside two AutoMazar's. I got around 5 ounces from each Mazar and at least an ounce from the SD and SS (I never weighed the SD and SS but they 3/4 filled a jar each which is about an ounce). That run was a bit of a disaster though cause I was away with work a lot and wasn't there to train them during the stretch. As a result the Mazar's just took over the tent and totally fucked the other two ever getting any light. They went over 110 days though - I think one of them actually went more than 120 days but the amount of bud on them was unbelievable! My usual haul is usually anywhere from 6-9 ounces per run dependant on the number of plants, strains, etc.

This run is more of a testing ground for me to get a handle on the new nutes and to see how well the GLR performs. If I can get it all dialled in on this run, I would be very tempted to give the Mazar's another run in a proper SCROG and see what they can do. But I'm also very tempted by the Auto-Ultimate for my next run (which is pretty much an improved AutoMazar) so maybe I'll do a combination of the two? Then again I'm very, very tempted by Fast Buds Six Shooter...

That's the biggest pain with growing in a small space - So much choice and fuck all room! :biggrin:

Thanks for dropping in!

Cheers,
Hardon

Looking forward to seeing what the GLR will do to her. FastBuds is a bit new to the scene but the early results are in and they look positive. Very interested in the Six-Shooter strain myself, Good Luck dude, I'd like to see 4 oz from each, and it looks like your pots are big enough to make it happen. I had a sample from the hydro store of those plant magic soil granules and the powder form too. Can't say it helped, but I can definitely say it didn't hurt. Good move on fresh nutes too, I stay in the small bottles myself so that I'm always buying fresh stuff as often as I can.
Echo-So many strains, so little space and time.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing what the GLR will do to her. FastBuds is a bit new to the scene but the early results are in and they look positive. Very interested in the Six-Shooter strain myself, Good Luck dude, I'd like to see 4 oz from each, and it looks like your pots are big enough to make it happen. I had a sample from the hydro store of those plant magic soil granules and the powder form too. Can't say it helped, but I can definitely say it didn't hurt. Good move on fresh nutes too, I stay in the small bottles myself so that I'm always buying fresh stuff as often as I can.

Cheers dude. I've been doing quite a bit of research again on the GLR and specifically how it performs with autos. The information that proves this method works is out there but it is buried under the thousands of comments about how it will never work from all those super all knowledge grower noobs who have never tried it... :nono:

I would be delighted if I pulled 4 oz from each - That would smash the GPW! I don't think this particular strain will have enough time to pack on that much weight though. They are supposedly 60 days so if we call it a real world 70-75 days? We'll see how we go - All my autos always go WAY past the breeders estimate! :biggrin:

I've read so many good things about the granules and the effect it has on root growth and general soil health. It was these reviews that swung me to give Plant Magic a go. We'll see how quickly the tails appear at the bottom of the pots. That will be the first test for me. I'm hoping for day 10 but we'll see....

Thanks for dropping in!

Cheers,
Hardon

Last edited:
Day Four Update

full

The girls have been making steady progress so I decided I would give them their first feed. The general consensus for autos seems to be no nutes for the first two - three weeks. I've always fed mine from the moment I think they are established enough to take it :biggrin: So they each got 1ml Grow, 0.5ml Silicon and 1ml Superthrive. If they react well, next feed will be at full strength.

Other than that, there is nothing much to report. I added a second fan, only because I think my clip on is about to die :sadcry: I've ordered some new ones so will have to make do until they arrive. Temps and humidity are both bang on and right now I'm happy with the progress so far.

full

#4 The leader of the pack so far

The next update should be around the start of week two and the beginning of the GLR :thumbsup:

Thanks for dropping in!

Cheers,
Hardon

Welcome aboard fellow small space scrogger :biggrin:

Yeah it was in my DR60. I was growing out a couple of freebies (Sour Diesel and Sweet Skunk alongside two AutoMazar's. I got around 5 ounces from each Mazar and at least an ounce from the SD and SS (I never weighed the SD and SS but they 3/4 filled a jar each which is about an ounce). That run was a bit of a disaster though cause I was away with work a lot and wasn't there to train them during the stretch. As a result the Mazar's just took over the tent and totally fucked the other two ever getting any light. They went over 110 days though - I think one of them actually went more than 120 days but the amount of bud on them was unbelievable! My usual haul is usually anywhere from 6-9 ounces per run dependant on the number of plants, strains, etc.

This run is more of a testing ground for me to get a handle on the new nutes and to see how well the GLR performs. If I can get it all dialled in on this run, I would be very tempted to give the Mazar's another run in a proper SCROG and see what they can do. But I'm also very tempted by the Auto-Ultimate for my next run (which is pretty much an improved AutoMazar) so maybe I'll do a combination of the two? Then again I'm very, very tempted by Fast Buds Six Shooter...

That's the biggest pain with growing in a small space - So much choice and fuck all room! :biggrin:

Thanks for dropping in!

Cheers,
Hardon

That's really impressive, that's the equivalent of 866g/m2. I grew the automazar for my first grow and it performed well so it seems to be a good yielder, even in my then noob hands. I'm not too surprised they took over.

I usually pull between 5-5.5 oz with my 180W led in a 2x2 tent. I would really like to reach 1gpw and my dream goal would be 200+ or 7+ ounces. One thing I still haven't quite figured out is whether it's better to have fewer large buds and give them more space or many small colas and then also how much to let them grow above the screen.
I try to have the buds about 6-8 inches above the screen and ideally let the buds around the edge grow a bit taller. Last few grows have been with photos and with the veg times I've used they've gotten a bit too big for the space and I feel it's not productive any more as you just get a ton foliage on top of each other.
What's your opinion?

That's really impressive, that's the equivalent of 866g/m2. I grew the automazar for my first grow and it performed well so it seems to be a good yielder, even in my then noob hands. I'm not too surprised they took over.

I usually pull between 5-5.5 oz with my 180W led in a 2x2 tent. I would really like to reach 1gpw and my dream goal would be 200+ or 7+ ounces. One thing I still haven't quite figured out is whether it's better to have fewer large buds and give them more space or many small colas and then also how much to let them grow above the screen.
I try to have the buds about 6-8 inches above the screen and ideally let the buds around the edge grow a bit taller. Last few grows have been with photos and with the veg times I've used they've gotten a bit too big for the space and I feel it's not productive any more as you just get a ton foliage on top of each other.
What's your opinion?

Thanks :biggrin: To be honest, it was more a freak grow than anything. It's funny - I'm always messing with my plants in some way but on that grow, I was so busy with work that I rarely saw them. I literally topped them, fed them and left them to it, occasionally supercropping the Mazar's who were getting too close to the light. And they go on to produce my biggest harvest ever?! I agree though, there is definitely a sativa-dominant, heavy yeilding pheno of the Mazar out there... I just got lucky and got two of them at once!

5-5.5 oz from an 180w lamp is very impressive :thumbsup: You're less than an oz away from the GPW.

When it comes to SCROG'ing autos, I definitely believe less is more. Using my plan for this run as an example, I intend to use a 600x600mm screen with 100mm square holes. That gives me a total of 36 holes in the screen, divided by the four plants gives each 9 holes. I intend to top these at the fourth node. That gives me eight side branches plus the topped main cola (which in my experience will now be smaller than the side branching so we'll count them as one). After topping, it's a matter of working at developing the side branching as much as possible through training. Remove any new growth that has no hope of getting to screen height as soon as possible. Once the screen goes in, train each branch to a hole and work at getting the rest of the undergrowth removed. Control canopy height with some LST or even supercropping for any aggressive stretchers and ride it out til chop time!

I have tried it the other way (i.e. more holes) but that is more a PP technique where you have as much veg time to grow the plant into as many holes as you want. You don't get that with an auto so you need to keep it simple and direct. That's what has worked for me anyway.

Cheers,
Hardon

what kind of soil are u using?

It's a mix of locally bought soil, perlite and some light-mix (only because I ran out of the locally bought stuff!). I was aiming for a 20-25% perlite ratio but I was baked when I was preparing it and I think I got the ratios way fucked up! I'd be lucky if there is 10% perlite in there....

Cheers,
Hardon

Thanks :biggrin: To be honest, it was more a freak grow than anything. It's funny - I'm always messing with my plants in some way but on that grow, I was so busy with work that I rarely saw them. I literally topped them, fed them and left them to it, occasionally supercropping the Mazar's who were getting too close to the light. And they go on to produce my biggest harvest ever?! I agree though, there is definitely a sativa-dominant, heavy yeilding pheno of the Mazar out there... I just got lucky and got two of them at once!

5-5.5 oz from an 180w lamp is very impressive :thumbsup: You're less than an oz away from the GPW.

When it comes to SCROG'ing autos, I definitely believe less is more. Using my plan for this run as an example, I intend to use a 600x600mm screen with 100mm square holes. That gives me a total of 36 holes in the screen, divided by the four plants gives each 9 holes. I intend to top these at the fourth node. That gives me eight side branches plus the topped main cola (which in my experience will now be smaller than the side branching so we'll count them as one). After topping, it's a matter of working at developing the side branching as much as possible through training. Remove any new growth that has no hope of getting to screen height as soon as possible. Once the screen goes in, train each branch to a hole and work at getting the rest of the undergrowth removed. Control canopy height with some LST or even supercropping for any aggressive stretchers and ride it out til chop time!

I have tried it the other way (i.e. more holes) but that is more a PP technique where you have as much veg time to grow the plant into as many holes as you want. You don't get that with an auto so you need to keep it simple and direct. That's what has worked for me anyway.

Cheers,
Hardon

Thanks for the explanation, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I haven't done much pruning so far but I think I will try it a bit more this grow.

Back