Completed First time growing ever (Hydro) problem diagnosis with plant?

Reaction score
Hello there, just registered here pretty much now! :)

This is my first time ever trying to grow. And i thought id be a smart ass and try growing in Hydroponics as my first time growing. To cut the long story short, I transferred my plant from its peat pellet home to a net pot with clay pellets after 11 days. the leaves were fine, and not drooping. But the day after i transferred it into its Hydro home, it got all droopy and it has not recovered.

I was told to use nutrients with 11 day old seedling, so i used the Dutch Pro auto grow A and B 35ml / 35ml into a 10.5 gallon hydro reservoir. I also then added the required amounts of Hydroguard and Dutch pro Keep it Clean. i adjusted the Ph to 5.8 and that was that... fast forward next day, it was drooping, the leaves were still green however,

but fast forward again another 5 days.... its has NOT grown at all. and the leaves are changing color... i have uploaded some pictures.

Can anyone please help me? what is happening? are they dying? if so... is there anyway to fix this? or is it too late?
0V3A6615.jpg
0V3A6626.jpg
0V3A6627.jpg
0V3A6628.jpg
71jD2OwXn3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Also, the lights i am using Philzion 1200w dual switch led light and i had both the VEG and GROW buttons on at full power. and they were about 25" away from the seedling canopy. It also consumed 230W of power according to the power meter i connected it to.

Thank you,

Some more info, the water temps are about between 14-18 degrees C (57.2F - 64.4F) and the light schedule is 18 on 6 off.

Hello there, just registered here pretty much now! :)

This is my first time ever trying to grow. And i thought id be a smart ass and try growing in Hydroponics as my first time growing. To cut the long story short, I transferred my plant from its peat pellet home to a net pot with clay pellets after 11 days. the leaves were fine, and not drooping. But the day after i transferred it into its Hydro home, it got all droopy and it has not recovered.

I was told to use nutrients with 11 day old seedling, so i used the Dutch Pro auto grow A and B 35ml / 35ml into a 10.5 gallon hydro reservoir. I also then added the required amounts of Hydroguard and Dutch pro Keep it Clean. i adjusted the Ph to 5.8 and that was that... fast forward next day, it was drooping, the leaves were still green however,

but fast forward again another 5 days.... its has NOT grown at all. and the leaves are changing color... i have uploaded some pictures.

Can anyone please help me? what is happening? are they dying? if so... is there anyway to fix this? or is it too late?
Also, the lights i am using Philzion 1200w dual switch led light and i had both the VEG and GROW buttons on at full power. and they were about 25" away from the seedling canopy. It also consumed 230W of power according to the power meter i connected it to.

Thank you,

You'll love hydro when you master it. It can grow huge, healthy plants.

I can't really tell from the pictures whether you removed the sprout from its germination cube before transplanting.
If you did, that is part of the problem.

It is also likely that you are burning the sprouts. The tiny new growth looks burned.
Sprouts can only take low levels of light at first if germinated under low levels of light.

If those were my plants, I'd raise the lights up to about 3 ft away with veg switch on only.
And hand water with 50 ppm fertilizer solution, which will require a ppm (tds) meter.
They might survive, but my guess is that it's about 50-50.
If they do survive, it could take several days for them to recover, so don't lose patience.

With our plants, less is usually more, so go easy on everything.
A first time grower's goal should be to have a healthy plant at harvest, not a big yield.
Amount of harvest will improve with practice.

You'll love hydro when you master it. It can grow huge, healthy plants.

I can't really tell from the pictures whether you removed the sprout from its germination cube before transplanting.
If you did, that is part of the problem.

It is also likely that you are burning the sprouts. The tiny new growth looks burned.
Sprouts can only take low levels of light at first if germinated under low levels of light.

If those were my plants, I'd raise the lights up to about 3 ft away with veg switch on only.
And hand water with 50 ppm fertilizer solution, which will require a ppm (tds) meter.
They might survive, but my guess is that it's about 50-50.
If they do survive, it could take several days for them to recover, so don't lose patience.

With our plants, less is usually more, so go easy on everything.
A first time grower's goal should be to have a healthy plant at harvest, not a big yield.
Amount of harvest will improve with practice.

thanks for your reply! i have not removed the original peat pellet its still planted on there and with clay pellets all over it. i also cant seem to understand how much water should the net pot be submerged by? no one seems to have a straight answer for it.

Can high amounts of light initially stunt the growth as well as burn them? i initially had the seedling just on my window sill untill it was day 11 and then i put it into the hydro. then it was downhill from there on.

@x00m :welcome:welcome to AFN :welcome:. The hardest thing for a new DWC grower is to get the roots down into the reservoir. Are the roots reaching in yet? Got a picture of them? Your water is too cold 68°F to 71°F is better for small plants.

In the meantime I have a DWC info post here: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/deep-water-culture-basics-bubbleponics.64478/

Hey! thanks!

The roots were coming out of the peat pellet but they where not coming out of the net pot itself. and they still have not.

Water level can be almost anything less than a level that just barely touches the bottoms of the cubes.
Simplest is to use a water level that is below the netpot, then hand water til the roots reach the reservoir.

The color of the cube will let you know whether it's moistened correctly.
Light brown = too dry
Shiny dark brown = too wet
Dark brown and not shiny = just right
The cubes should feel moist to the touch.

Hey! thanks!

The roots were coming out of the peat pellet but they where not coming out of the net pot itself. and they still have not.
This is as I suspected. A seedling should get it's roots down in the reservoir in 5 or 6 days. You should be feeding it week 2 strength nutrients by now. It is hungry.

Two ways I have used to get roots quickly into the reservoir. the first is to fill the reservoir to within 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the bottom of a flat bottom net pot. put your starter cube in the bottom of the net pot with just enough pebble to hold it in place. The bubbles from your airation will pop splashing nutrient water up on to the bottom of the net pot and starter cube. This will lead the roots down into the reservoir. It is IMPORTANT that there is an air gap between the bottom of the net pot and the water in the reservoir. If not the water will wick-up in the starter cube and drown the seedling.

The next method is the one I prefer. Use a raised bench net pot. place the starter cube on top of the bench fill with pebbles and pump nutrient water over the pebbles down near the side of the starter cube. The roots follow that water right into the reservoir. Once established in the reservoir stop the top feed.

img015.jpg

DSC00285.JPG

Thanks for the info! i will try these methods and report back in a week or so if things get better! :)

Hey guys, i have one other question i want to ask. And i cant believe i never thought of this one as a possible cause of sick plant.

My small grow box is 0.75 x 0.75 x 100 cm in size, so its very small.. i have a pretty big carbon filter and fan.. and there is major negative pressure in the tent itself. i do not have an active intake fan, but i do have a filtered duct leading to the outside...which should bring in some fresh cold air, i have a monkey fan blowing air within the tent, and the massive carbon filter throwing air out.. and its creating negative pressure... now.... will this negative pressure deprive the plant of Co2?

thanks,

Back