First Grow Set Up Advice, Please

@AutoWonders Thank you for the suggestion about www.cobshop.net. Got a very quick reply and valuable info from James. Love the affordability, efficiency, and the flexibility of these lights. I was concerned about my amp draw with the LEDs I was looking at and stressing about overloading circuits. These autocobs solve those issues and just seems to be perfect for a tent grow.

To hit 32 oz, (896 grams) lighting is your biggest issue.1.8 grams per watt is doable (with high end LED lighting) for an experienced grower.

46 sq ft you can get pretty close to what's expected by looking at breeders info. Most will give a gram per sq meter. Most larger producers will hit 600 to 800 per sq meter.
So... 2 elbows are doable. Getting 4 every 90 days.... well... probably not.. if your new, I'd expect more in the lines of .6 grams per watt.

Hydro or coco [HASHTAG]#s[/HASHTAG] soil I'd expect somewhat less.

1800 grams is 4 lbs. Your gonna need a minimum of 1000w of quantum board or cobs for those [HASHTAG]#s[/HASHTAG]

Last edited:
2 0f these.
SmartSelect_20190816-175651_Chrome.jpg

I just ran the [HASHTAG]#s[/HASHTAG] on the tent sq footage. 42 sq feet × 25w per square foot is 1050w. This will flower autos, for photos you'll need between 30 and 40w per square foot.

To hit 32 oz, (896 grams) lighting is your biggest issue.1.8 grams per watt is doable (with high end LED lighting) for an experienced grower.

46 sq ft you can get pretty close to what's expected by looking at breeders info. Most will give a gram per sq meter. Most larger producers will hit 600 to 800 per sq meter.
So... 2 elbows are doable. Getting 4 every 90 days.... well... probably not.. if your new, I'd expect more in the lines of .6 grams per watt.

Hydro or coco [HASHTAG]#s[/HASHTAG] soil I'd expect somewhat less.
Yes, after reading more and getting some input from @BigSm0 I’ve decided to return the 6.5’ x 6.5’ and use an 8.5’ x 8.5’ tent.
Tbh I was basing that production goal and tent size on two separate conversations I had with BlackDog LED reps. They had me assured I could pull 2 1/2 to 3 lbs per light . And only for a minimal $4,500 investment for two lights. :nono: My original idea was to use the larger tent. But, they insisted I was buying space that I did not need. I just couldn’t make myself pull the trigger on that purchase. So I kept researching and that is how I found my way to AFN and then to cobshop.net. Lots of valuable info here!! Hopefully, I’m on my final reconfiguration of my set up and should have everything in place within the next few weeks. I do know there is a learning curve and I’m not expecting 4-6# on my first try. But..... I’m still dedicated to having the components in place that will give me an opportunity to reach that target weight as my skill set improves. 72.25 sq ft with the appropriate lights, environment and nutrition should give me a chance for that, I hope. Thank you for your input!

Last edited:
Yes, after reading more and getting some input from @BigSm0 I’ve decided to return the 6.5’ x 6.5’ and use an 8.5’ x 8.5’ tent.
Tbh I was basing that production goal and tent size on two separate conversations I had with BlackDog LED reps. They had me assured I could pull 2 1/2 to 3 lbs per light . And only for a minimal $4,500 investment for two lights. My original idea was to use the larger tent. But, they insisted I was buying space that I did not need. I just couldn’t make myself pull the trigger on that purchase. So I kept researching and that is how I found my way to AFN and then to cobshop.net. Lots of valuable info here!! Hopefully, I’m on my final reconfiguration of my set up and should have everything in place within the next few weeks. I do know there is a learning curve and I’m not expecting 4-6# on my first try. But..... I’m still dedicated to having the components in place that will give me an opportunity to reach that target weight as my skill set improves. 72.25 sq ft with the appropriate lights, environment and nutrition should give me a chance for that, I hope. Thank you for your input!
Good... watch this video, if your new subscribe. Lots of good info, almost daily, and they do live stuff so there is always good peeps in chat.

Glad you didn't drop the $.

STAY AWAY FROM BLURPLE!

You know... been thinking a bit... you'd probably be able to get a lot closer with a 5x5 and a 3x3. Start on 45 day intervals in the small tent, move 45 days in the large tent. Once dialed in that 5x5 would pull every 45 days....
That'd be close to 2 lb every month and a half, AND would use one of the above lights in the 5x5 and a smaller and less costly (due to size) version in the 3x3.

You know... been thinking a bit... you'd probably be able to get a lot closer with a 5x5 and a 3x3. Start on 45 day intervals in the small tent, move 45 days in the large tent. Once dialed in that 5x5 would pull every 45 days....
That'd be close to 2 lb every month and a half, AND would use one of the above lights in the 5x5 and a smaller and less costly (due to size) version in the 3x3.
Hmmmm......interesting thought. More work for a newbie grower too, though. Another environment to control, etc. I will certainly consider the option.

Edit: But, actually I do have a closet in that room that would accommodate starting them thru veg. With the autocobs it really shouldn’t be a problem at all. Would be an easy upgrade in efficiency/production without needing enough space for a second tent. It has one long horizontal rod for clothes that I can hang the lights from. I’m going to start with the single 8.5’ x 8.5’ tent, still. Get a grow or two on the books, increase my knowledge base and skill set first. Then I can utilize your suggestion. @Arthur .....You’re a genius!!!

Last edited:
It would also be wise to run genetics once before a straight run, with all the variance, runs of single strains will give you the best yields, as managing a canopy becomes easier. I try and run 4 strains at once,
IMG_20190816_200407_566.jpg
to get an idea of each, and then will group similar strains to fill the tent. When your heights change plant to plant, quality and yield suffers... or you end up stacking girls on top of 5 gallon buckets to get the heights the same.
Running one of those runs now...everything's all over the place.

The one on the back right is on the floor.

Back