Lighting Far red sundown, would it affect autos?

Ozone69

Just some lurker dude
Reaction score
A while back while researching some lights, I came across some limited info out there regarding using "far red" LED's. The lights would be setup to come on shortly before or right as the main grow lights turn off, and then stay on for 10-15 minutes after the mains turn off. The purpose as I understand it is that the plant is switched into "night mode" (for lack of the correct technical term) in 10-15 minutes versus it taking two hours when everything just instantly goes dark at lights out. This allows folks to run a longer lights on cycle while still having the plant in bloom mode, for example 13/11 on/off instead of 12/12. The desired end result being that the extra hour or two of light is extra photosynthesis time which can give an increase in yield.

Here's a quote from some literature on the web site for the Inda-grow induction lights where I first came across this:
Our patented Pontoon design utilizes a built in control circuitry that senses once the 660nm diodes turn off. Once off, the 730nm diodes, powered by Lithium-ion batteries built into the Pontoon, will run the 730nm diodes only for approximately 5 minutes at which time they turn off in gradual steps decreasing the normal indoor Phytochrome switch from 2 hours to less than 10 minutes. Indoor gardeners may wish to adjust their lights on photoperiods for an extra hour or more to take advantage of the indoor plants natural photobiological response to this wavelength.

Anyhow....was just thinking about this the other day and wondering what the auto-flower experts think about how this might affect autos. Those that believe that a lights out cycle is a good thing, I mean. If you never turn the lights out, then they would never kick in anyway. :smoking:

I'm guessing it probably wouldn't affect autos since they work with any light cycle.

Back