Lighting Expert question about LEDs and optimal temperature

Reaction score
So yesterday, I stopped by my local hydro shop to pick up some supplies and ran into a guy who was just going on and on about his grow and how his plants can “kick anyone else’s ass.” *eyeroll* . I noticed that he was buying one of those Exhale CO2 packs, and I asked him if he thought they worked well, noting that they really only work if the temps in the grow space are very high.

His response was that he uses the CO2 packs because he uses LED lights that NEED to run at 85 degrees. I was somewhat baffled by his response, and asked what kind of LEDs he runs. He said Black Dog LEDs. Hmm.

I thought he was full of it, as I’d never heard anything about LEDs that would NEED to run that high. So when I got home I looked it up and sure enough, found this on the California Light Works homepage:

“What Is an Optimal Temperature For Indoor Growing With LEDs?

Temperature is a metabolic regulator in terrestrial plants. Basic rule, the hotter it is, the faster they grow. As the temperature / plant metabolism increases, plants require more water, CO2, oxygen (roots only), and nutrients in the correct ratios. The plant will only grow as fast as the weakest link. In other words, if any one of these input parameters is limiting, plant growth will slow regardless of the level of the remaining parameters.

78 degrees Fahrenheit (78F) is the widely accepted optimum temperature for most plants at atmospheric CO2 levels (360PPM). This number is actually misleading, because this recommendation is based on tests done with Sunlight or HID lighting, both of which have very high levels of Infrared light (IR).

When a leaf absorbs IR, it heats the leaf creating actual leaf temperatures of 5-7 degrees higher than the 78F degree air temperature. Thus with light sources rich in IR, an air temp of 78F is functionally 83F-85F to the plants metabolism. LED’s emit no IR, so to achieve similar metabolic rates found in HID or greenhouse conditions at 78F air temp,LED growers need to run the room air temp at 83F-85F. Air temp can also be lowered by 3F-5F in the last 2 weeks of flower to enhance ripening, but remember as relative humidity goes up the air temps go down, so be prepared to make adjustments accordingly.”

Source: https://news.californialightworks.com/tips-tricks-best-practices-for-growing-with-leds/

Granted, this article is from 2015. But it raises the question: do quantum board type LEDs solve the problem of needing to run high temps by supplementing enough IR?

Or is this just complete bull? They guy who told me this seemed like some kind of rainman type savant. Really socially awkward and tactless, but you could tell he knows his science.

Last edited:
:pop: I expect the guy has a point, but I watch with interest. If the only difference the IR on the high end lights makes is leaf temperature, and the same result can be had by raising air temperature, my cheap DIY screw ins just got better, not that they did too badly last winter. :biggrin:

This issue also raises the question of whether the inclusion of IR LEDs actually provides enough IR power to affect leaf temperature enough to make a difference. If only leaf temperature is involved, quantity, not just presence, will be important.

Perhaps one of you gurus out there with both types of LED setups (IR LEDs, and none) could check leaf temps under each with an infrared thermometer.

Last edited:
I am really curious about this also. Being new to led, (have grown with MH & HPS) I get really nervous when my temps go over 80F now that I'm in flower. My led does have UV and ir and have been wondering if I should be at least over 80F but my instinct is telling me no. Guess I will need to buy a FLIR camera to really know

I saw one of those laser temperature guns at Home Depot but at 70 bucks the wife wasn’t having it... lol

You have to get one that's $300+ to be accurate. Ive heard those work if you are within a inch of the leaf but I would rather wait till I can get a real one. I dont have the money rn. But it is high on my "needed" list. Lol

I am really curious about this also. Being new to led, (have grown with MH & HPS) I get really nervous when my temps go over 80F now that I'm in flower. My led does have UV and ir and have been wondering if I should be at least over 80F but my instinct is telling me no. Guess I will need to buy a FLIR camera to really know

What LED?

Im using

Kingbrite HLG 550 480w UV/IR

Amazon product
This light. Has triple chip bridgelux diodes is why I choose it. Seems really powerful. I also just put marshydro ts600 in also

I'm running a DIY Bridgelux EB2 build between 76-84f depending on the time of year for flower. I've noticed no significant difference with a full spectrum at different temperatures. I try to keep the temperature down as it improves the efficiency and life span of the LED diodes and drivers. What is more important is maintaining the proper VPD because it regulates the stomata

Excessive heat with low humidity causes transpiration to happen too quickly and cause nutrient lockouts like CaMg when humidity is below 40%

Excessive humidity can prevent the stomata from not being able to transpire as well.

Buuuuuuut first off c02 exhale bags are a waste of money. You have to run a sealed environment with no air exchange to reap the benefits plus there is no method to control the amount of c02 released. Unless he's running a mini split with a humidifier and dehumidifier he's wasting his money. 800-1200ppm is the acceptable range for c02 injection and if used too late in flower will cause airy buds.

lll say it was complete bull. I use a $40 IR gun from Home Depot that I have not had trouble with for measuring leaf temperature. Also CLW and Blackdog both produce biased articles for their marketing.

I use a $40 IR gun from Home Depot that I have not had trouble with for measuring leaf temperature
That is good to know. What are your leaf temps usually compared to room temp? Does it change with how close/far the light is from the canopy?

Back