Effects of Light Intensity on Plant Growth

Greetings, AFN members, OSP here. I’m a new AFN member moving in from another forum. After sneaking around a number of threads here looking for secret information, I’ve decided to start this thread. I want to evaluate the effects of light intensity on plant growth. More specifically, how lighting can be used to encourage or minimize plant stretch.
In the short time I’ve been a member here I’ve met a number of very knowledgeable growers, and I’m inviting each of you to participate or chime in as you see fit. Since I am new to AFN I’m sure I’ve missed a lot of interested parties. If you are reading this feel free to tag in anyone I’ve missed:
@fettled6 @912GreenSkell @bushmasterar15 @Waira @MedGrower @Son of Hobbes @Nosias @Screwauger @HemiSync @ChroToker @Need4Weed

I've grown photoperiods since forever under High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting, and stretch has always been a thing to plan for. Several years ago I decided to experiment with an autoflower freebie, and since then I've completed (12) single-plant autoflower grows. To the point that I'm not doing photoperiods anymore. Maybe again one day. I have a Colombian Gold freebie that has brought back memories, but not today.
In the process of migrating from photoperiods to autoflowers, I also began a transition from HID to LED lighting. Over this period I began to see a pattern. With every one of my HID grows, all my autoflowers exhibited healthy stretch. It started quicker than photoperiods, but the overall effect was similar. Low Stress Training (LST) was effective, bud quality was very good and yield was very good to excellent. But with my LED grows, absolutely NONE of my autoflowers stretched. I had complete grows that never exceeded 10” in height.But with LED I can’t help but think much more is possible. Over 44+ years of growing I’ve seen well trained plants out-yield plants with no training every time. So I want the ability to encourage stretch in my plants.
For the sake of other AFN members, I believe the inverse of this stretch phenomena could be very beneficial to growers with a limited amount of grow space headroom. I want to prove or disprove, to some relative degree of certainty, that light intensity can be used to influence stretch when growing cannabis. But first I need to gather data on other growers’ experiences with plant stretch, and its association to light intensity during the plant’s lifecycle.

This is NOT an opinion piece of “is LED better than HID?” LED is certainly different, and in many respects (heat &efficiency) we all know it IS better. And this is NOT an attempt to compare LED lighting brands. There are numerous characteristics of LED lighting that determine light quality, and our most excellent site admin, @Son of Hobbes has started a thread on what parameters can be used to define those. His efforts may be reviewed here: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/what-should-be-on-a-grow-light-review.64857/ I’ve added a few well chosen thoughts on that topic - PAR watts, efficiency, most favored color spectrum, etc.. But I’m not smart enough to make that final differentiation so I’m happy to watch as SOH finishes that. The only facts I intend to present here are those I’ve experienced with my auto grows.

There are a number of other factors besides lighting that affect plant growth. In an effort to keep this thread focused on light intensity with no outside variables, I asked one of AFN’s most experienced members, MedGrower, for his input. His comments, and my follow up confirming those variables were addressed, can be found in his grow thread located at https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...-dwc-hs1-telos-0008.64718/page-2#post-1758834
In consideration to MedGrower, if you have any comments / questions, send them to me or post here. I don’t want to trash his grow thread with my conspiracy theory so I’m asking each of you to please share that consideration with me.

For the sake of this study I’d like to focus on the two main lighting factors that control intensity - light height throughout the grow cycle, and “power” of the light over the grow canopy; i.e. watts per sq.ft.. Light height is an easy factor to define as long as we document the variation during a plant’s growth cycle. Plant canopy area is an easy measure. Power consumption is an easy measure. I know, watts per sq.ft. is not the most meaningful measure of an LED’s efficiency. But until or if we ever reach consensus of an industry standard measure for all lighting types, I am using watts consumed at the wall, per square foot. No matter how much we insist this is not the best method (I agree), wattage consumed per square foot is the only readily available factor across all lighting types. And no matter how much we agree to disagree, it should provide a reasonable enough classification of small / medium / large lighting to support this study.

My light ratings are 62.5W/sq.ft. for HID and 65W.sq.ft. for LED. As to other influences on plant stretch, my grow techniques with HID and LED are as close to identical as one can get for environmental control and nutrient regimen. So enough intro, let’s kick this in the ass as I describe my experiences with autoflowers to date.

My starting system for HID is a 250W cooltube and batwing reflector with a metal halide bulb for veg and a high pressure sodium for bloom. The tent is a 4 sq. ft. system (2' X 2' X 5’3") by Secret Jardin. I configured it with (2) 4” 170CFM centrifugal fans, one for light cooling and the other for odor control through a 12” X 4” Phresh carbon filter). My nutrient regimen is General Hydroponics’ expert recirculating formula with some strength and slight ingredient tweaks. This regimen has not changed between HID and LED grows.
I grow hydroponically, and my system is configured for a single plant in a DIY 4 gallon Ebb ‘n Gro net pot with hydroton clay pebbles. The system floods automatically every two hours for 15 minutes. I call this DIY because I do not rely upon the complex valves and fittings normally associated with commercially available ebb and grow systems. Those systems rely upon multiple pumps, flow control valves and timers opening and closing with each flood cycle to deliver and recover nutrients to/from the plant. A strength of these commercial systems is they enable the reservoir to sit at the same height as the grow containers. Negatives are they are complex and expensive. My system relies upon a passive DIY manifold sitting on top of the reservoir, and the only moving part is an inexpensive and very reliable 170 gph hydro pump. Total ebb n’grow component cost with four net pot buckets was under $100. I bought four net pot buckets to simplify plant positioning changes throughout my grows, and to run parallel grows in separate tents. My DIY manifold does raise system height by the height of the reservoir, but the entire reservoir, tent and plant container system comes in under 7’ tall. It’s a quality system with all the right parts, and it fits in a closet if it has to (mine doesn’t).

I’m going to drift off topic for a moment as I’ve been known to do. I’ve used all types of hydro systems for many years and this is my favorite. It re-oxygenates the root zone after each flood every two hours. Supply to the net pot is positive pressure flow, while draining is passive / gravity, so aggressive root growth is pushed back into the net pot and will never cause a clog in the system’s hydro line. And even if a clog were to somehow mysteriously occur, overflow is not possible due to the design of the manifold. The system is fully automated - I recently took an eight day trip with no worries that the system would stay fully functional until I returned, and it did. A separate reservoir (I use 12 to 14 gallons) from the grow container makes nutrient changes and maintenance simple, and the added capacity gives me plenty of “headroom” in the nutrient mix as the plant drinks.
Here’s a pic of the original HID tent. The manifold is the white bucket to the left outside the tent. The ebb ‘n Gro bucket is slightly out of position on the shelf behind the tent:

IMG

Yep, COBs are nothing magical.
They have better spectrum, you can get better coverage if you buy more of them, and they're efficient if driven at low current.

So, to replace 600W HPS, which is around 180-210 PAR W (30-35% efficient), you need around 360-420W of COBs if driven at 50% efficiency.

OK, all you too-high-to-do-the-math'ers out there, to date no one - absolutely NO ONE has replied to my request for help. I'm on a road trip for the next five days, so I hope when I return you have all lit me up with all kinds of enticing data about your past grows and your experience with stretch.
If you contribute, and WHEN I get a Nobull prize for this, you will get honorable mention.
To re-iterate, here's what I need to finish (start???) my study. For any LED grower who completed a successful grow:

What is the breeder & strain and final cured yield of the plant you are reporting
Watts per sq. ft. documented from wattage-at-the-wall of your light(s) and with size and square footage of your grow area (size to identify odd shaped areas). If you use multiple lights, list each with a total wattage consumed.
Finished height or plant length. Difference being a measure of training effectiveness to final height. For example, if you took a 30” tall plant and brought her down to 12” with LST, then report total plant length at 30”. Remember, I want to measure stretch, more so than final plant height. The simplest method to measure stretch of a trained plant is with a string following the contour of the main trunk from base to tip.)
If you did no training & allowed the plant to follow its natural form, report No Training and normal plant height.
And finally, the magic sauce –
What light heights did you maintain throughout veg, transition and bloom? Ranges fine, for example:
Veg – start @ 30”, down to 16”,
Transition – start @ 16”, down to 12” (I frequently skip this, feel free to as well)
Bloom –maintained at 12” throughout bloom.

And to say it again - I KNOW watts at wall is a terrible way of classifying LED lighting. But until an industry standard is adopted, it's the only measure by which any past grow using whatever lighting system you used can be qualified. I accept the limitations and am certain I'll be able to make meaningful use of the data IF YOU SEND IT TO ME!!!!
And I know there are shit-tons of other factors that affect plant growth. I get that. But I'll let the rest of you chase those, my project is light intensity only. There's TONS OF BACKGROUND and easy reading on this topic in the first five posts of this thread.

Many thanks to all who choose to help a Brother Grower, the next round's on me!
:worship:

Oh man I hate to be a nay sayer again but!

I honestly don’t think you can or will qualify anything. Your set of variables is so massive that any data drawn is meaningless in my tiny little opinion.

Great idea but I just don’t think you can possibly gain anything of any use from this method.

Please shout me down and show me I’m wrong [emoji106]

Reactions: SPZ
What is the breeder & strain and final cured yield of the plant you are reporting
Watts per sq. ft. documented from wattage-at-the-wall of your light(s) and with size and square footage of your grow area (size to identify odd shaped areas). If you use multiple lights, list each with a total wattage consumed.
Finished height or plant length. Difference being a measure of training effectiveness to final height. For example, if you took a 30” tall plant and brought her down to 12” with LST, then report total plant length at 30”. Remember, I want to measure stretch, more so than final plant height. The simplest method to measure stretch of a trained plant is with a string following the contour of the main trunk from base to tip.)
If you did no training & allowed the plant to follow its natural form, report No Training and normal plant height.
And finally, the magic sauce –
What light heights did you maintain throughout veg, transition and bloom? Ranges fine, for example:
Veg – start @ 30”, down to 16”,
Transition – start @ 16”, down to 12” (I frequently skip this, feel free to as well)
Bloom –maintained at 12” throughout bloom.

Hey Olde School!! I agree it is going to be hard to draw scientific conclusions just from these data points (as so many others variables a strong influence) but I'll weight in because I feel even anecdotal evidence can be useful. You may need to scour grow threads and collect the info yourself if you want to obtain a large sample set.

> What is the breeder & strain and final cured yield of the plant you are reporting?
First grow: Mephisto Northern Cheese Haze - 16oz dried weight of flowers
Second grow: DP Auto Ultimate and Shortstuff Gorilla OG - 16.5oz dried weight of flowers

> Grow area
4 x 4 standard grow tent
320 W total or 20W per square foot

> Finished height per plant?
largest 40"
smallest 18"

> Training
Low stress training during veg only

> What lights
6 x 55w Autocobs 3500k

> Height
Start with four lights on at 30", turn on all six during bloom and try to maintain 18" during final phase of bloom. The major benefit of Autocobs is that they allow you to position each cob unit individually. So they are not all at one height, the six lights are contoured along the top of the canopy.

As you can see I've had very consistent yields at 1.4 grams per watt with the two grows I've done. These cobs could definitely do better, I'm afraid its the grower that is the limiting factor as these are my first two grows! The bud quality has been quite good, not the largest buds but compact with excellent trichome and terpene levels. I'm looking at mixing in a few 6500k cobs for supplemental light in the future.

Last edited:
BTW it may not have completely served its intended purpose, but good thread nonetheless. Followed you over from the grow light review suggestion thread...

:poof: Have some rep on me!

Oh man I hate to be a nay sayer again but!

I honestly don’t think you can or will qualify anything. Your set of variables is so massive that any data drawn is meaningless in my tiny little opinion.

Great idea but I just don’t think you can possibly gain anything of any use from this method.

Please shout me down and show me I’m wrong [emoji106]

Nahhh, just a shout out, not a shout down!!! :d5:
Most of us get better by paying attention to the details and finding a balance by sweating "the small stuff". Along the way we discover that
only a few tweaks make huge changes. Stable environment, quality lighting, effective nutrient regimens maintained in a proper pH range. For the sake of this study, I'm not trying to define all the individual parameters that affect plant growth - that's like trying to boil the ocean. I want to concentrate on the one variable that I believe has the largest influence on plant growth characteristics. After having eliminated all the other variables from my personal grows, I'm left with what I believe is one of those huge changes. So let's NOT concentrate on everything else that has an effect - I'll leave that for others who wish to pursue them.
I already know light intensity affects vertical growth. I only need to think back to the basics of life on the farm with commerce-friendly crops, and clandestine grows of cannabis on the sly. Areas of the field that received the most intense light always displayed the most lush and compact growth, whether it was corn or cannabis. But the cannabis on the periphery of the field, the ones partially hidden under border growth, tended to stretch significantly and never displayed the lush compact growth of the ones grown in full sun.
Fast forward through a couple of decades of outdoor grows, and a transition to indoor grows. EVERY GROW I EVER DID INDOORS stretched. No exception, nada. But all done under HID lighting. And when I started experimenting with autoflowers, EVERY GROW conducted under HID lighting stretched. It was not until I started experimenting with auto's under LED lighting that the no-stretch phenomenon started to exhibit itself. I wrote it off to phenotypes the first time or two, until I found some really good strain lineage research sources and discovered not all auto's came from low-ryder strains.
Last winter I discovered AFN, and lurked around a lot of grow threads. I saw a lot of auto grows that DID stretch, and the only variable seemed to be light strength; i.e. variations in power or distance from the plant. So I'm convinced there is significant merit to the theory. What I DON'T KNOW yet is what the power curve looks like, and/or light height relationship to actual stretch.
It's common to see low powered COB's running at heights comparable to HID lighting, while the plants stretch beautifully. One question is, how close do you have to drop that low powered COB before it eliminates vertical plant stretch? Another is, how far away do you have to move that high powered system light before it allows the plant to stretch?
Look through the many excellent grow threads on here and you'll see all levels of lighting power with lots of variations in light-to-plant height.
I can try to figure most of this out on my own, slowly, over the next couple of years.
Or I can ask for help.
All I need is for our good members to report their LED autoflower grow attributes in a fairly straightforward manner. I can take it from there.

Hey Olde School!! I agree it is going to be hard to draw scientific conclusions just from these data points (as so many others variables a strong influence) but I'll weight in because I feel even anecdotal evidence can be useful. You may need to scour grow threads and collect the info yourself if you want to obtain a large sample set.

> What is the breeder & strain and final cured yield of the plant you are reporting?
First grow: Mephisto Northern Cheese Haze - 16oz dried weight of flowers
Second grow: DP Auto Ultimate and Shortstuff Gorilla OG - 16.5oz dried weight of flowers

> Grow area
4 x 4 standard grow tent
320 W total or 20W per square foot

> Finished height per plant?
largest 40"
smallest 18"

> Training
Low stress training during veg only

> What lights
6 x 55w Autocobs 3500k

> Height
Start with four lights on at 30", turn on all six during bloom and try to maintain 18" during final phase of bloom. The major benefit of Autocobs is that they allow you to position each cob unit individually. So they are not all at one height, the six lights are contoured along the top of the canopy.

As you can see I've had very consistent yields at 1.4 grams per watt with the two grows I've done. These cobs could definitely do better, I'm afraid its the grower that is the limiting factor as these are my first two grows! The bud quality has been quite good, not the largest buds but compact with excellent trichome and terpene levels. I'm looking at mixing in a few 6500k cobs for supplemental light in the future.

ALL RIGHT!!!! MY FIRST REPLY. I'll be passing out blunts for everyone in front of the nursery later tonight.

In the simplest terms I'm trying to quantify, SPZ used 20 watts per square foot which allowed a plant to stretch to 40". That's what I'm looking for.
Whereas my last grows of Blue Auto Mazar, Cinderella Jack, Pineapple Express and BubbleGum all stayed below 12" under 65 watts / sq. ft. started at 30" above the plant, but QUICKLY dropped to 14 - 16" during the first week of veg. My light stayed at that approx. height through bloom, closer to 14" than 16".

I have a freshly germinated TH Seeds Auto Original BubbleGum who's doing all she can to get transplanted soon. If any of you have read the background section of this thread, you'll know it's one of my favorites & I've grown this strain twice before - once under HID with stretch and once under LED with none. I'm going to be starting my light at 36" and keeping it at that distance through veg to see if she will stretch. If she doesn't I'm going to start disconnecting drivers....

ALL RIGHT!!!! MY FIRST REPLY. I'll be passing out blunts for everyone in front of the nursery later tonight.

In the simplest terms I'm trying to quantify, SPZ used 20 watts per square foot which allowed a plant to stretch to 40". That's what I'm looking for.
Whereas my last grows of Blue Auto Mazar, Cinderella Jack, Pineapple Express and BubbleGum all stayed below 12" under 65 watts / sq. ft. started at 30" above the plant, but QUICKLY dropped to 14 - 16" during the first week of veg. My light stayed at that approx. height through bloom, closer to 14" than 16".

I have a freshly germinated TH Seeds Auto Original BubbleGum who's doing all she can to get transplanted soon. If any of you have read the background section of this thread, you'll know it's one of my favorites & I've grown this strain twice before - once under HID with stretch and once under LED with none. I'm going to be starting my light at 36" and keeping it at that distance through veg to see if she will stretch. If she doesn't I'm going to start disconnecting drivers....
I have been following your post with great interest. I have not replied due to being a first time grower with no experience. And, i didnt document the data that you are requesting. What little data that may be of help is-- from the beginning of my grow i had my blurple led 46w/sq. 4 plants then reduced to 3 plants{the 1 plant i pulled was a photo. Male) the 3 plants were autos i selected were specd. According to breeders to grow minimum height 24" the 3 plants grew to 13" 19" and 21".
In the first 3-4 weeks there was not much upward growth but short and bushy . I didnt know what was going on i thought it was my watering, cold from floor of tent on basement, coco being overwatered, as well as many other growing variables. When i look back at my journal, the led hgt during those first several weeks was at approx.22" then 29".
I hope this helps you. I thought you would be getting alot more help than you have been. Its to bad you cant gather data and try to research your hypothesis as in a "scientific model." Stay on it. I believe you are on to something. Those led's are intense pinpoint light that just may be hampering stretch. My next grow my led will be at the top of the tent approx. 45" away. Good luck and Peace.

@Olde School Player this thread from the start has me curious and thinking because I've questioned the same ideas almost, lots of variables but if u don't go to deep in to on specific I think there's a general answer at the end. I currently testing personally my new cobs against my old full spectrum LEDs, now mind you different strains and nutes but rest is the same, what I can input at the moment is: (previous run leds only)
2x4x5'6" tent, 8sqft floor space
Lights 2x -600w full spectrum LEDs total from wall 333w and 331w yes they were different. Same lights though.
3 plants autos- GDP-seedsman, 2 lemon haze-seedsman.
24" at veg
14" at bloom found 16" was sweet spot at 4weeks left.
5gal smart pots, ff farm trio,molasses,bud candy.
I could diffidently tell there was stretch when flower began, they were about 15" tall until flower started then all 3 jumped to about 23-26" after stretch and just started filling in nice lollipop buds, they had defoliation and light lst done to them, defoliation really helpef, I continue it today on my autos, works great if done right, final yields after 11weeks- gdp-2.84 oz, lemon#1 3.16oz, lemon#2 1.86oz (which was the tallest and least amount of anything done to her. I have more info I can add to this after I find my notes of them in the desk, now with my current run starting on same leds and switch to my cobs at flowering I could see great stretch like I've never had before, also the megaCrop may be the result factor along with the auto cobs, only thing different besides strains, royal Queen quick one auto, Barney's farm San tri bajo auto fem, which the San tri I will never run again ever ever ever, IU will add more to this and some of ur other posts on here if u don't mind.

I have been following your post with great interest. I have not replied due to being a first time grower with no experience. And, i didnt document the data that you are requesting. What little data that may be of help is-- from the beginning of my grow i had my blurple led 46w/sq. 4 plants then reduced to 3 plants{the 1 plant i pulled was a photo. Male) the 3 plants were autos i selected were specd. According to breeders to grow minimum height 24" the 3 plants grew to 13" 19" and 21".
In the first 3-4 weeks there was not much upward growth but short and bushy . I didnt know what was going on i thought it was my watering, cold from floor of tent on basement, coco being overwatered, as well as many other growing variables. When i look back at my journal, the led hgt during those first several weeks was at approx.22" then 29".
I hope this helps you. I thought you would be getting alot more help than you have been. Its to bad you cant gather data and try to research your hypothesis as in a "scientific model." Stay on it. I believe you are on to something. Those led's are intense pinpoint light that just may be hampering stretch. My next grow my led will be at the top of the tent approx. 45" away. Good luck and Peace.

Thanks, IN, if you had a plant that went to 22" that could still help. Fill me in with the details of your light and plant canopy area - total wattage of the LED & canopy length & width would help. And was there any relation to the plant heights that were dead center under the light versus toward the side where intensity would naturally drop off?
And I'll be really interested what your 45" light height experience shows. Waiting & watching, thanks again.
:forward:

Test

Test
Back