Effects of Light Intensity on Plant Growth

Greetings, AFN members, OSP here. I’m a new AFN member moving in from another forum. After sneaking around a number of threads here looking for secret information, I’ve decided to start this thread. I want to evaluate the effects of light intensity on plant growth. More specifically, how lighting can be used to encourage or minimize plant stretch.
In the short time I’ve been a member here I’ve met a number of very knowledgeable growers, and I’m inviting each of you to participate or chime in as you see fit. Since I am new to AFN I’m sure I’ve missed a lot of interested parties. If you are reading this feel free to tag in anyone I’ve missed:
@fettled6 @912GreenSkell @bushmasterar15 @Waira @MedGrower @Son of Hobbes @Nosias @Screwauger @HemiSync @ChroToker @Need4Weed

I've grown photoperiods since forever under High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting, and stretch has always been a thing to plan for. Several years ago I decided to experiment with an autoflower freebie, and since then I've completed (12) single-plant autoflower grows. To the point that I'm not doing photoperiods anymore. Maybe again one day. I have a Colombian Gold freebie that has brought back memories, but not today.
In the process of migrating from photoperiods to autoflowers, I also began a transition from HID to LED lighting. Over this period I began to see a pattern. With every one of my HID grows, all my autoflowers exhibited healthy stretch. It started quicker than photoperiods, but the overall effect was similar. Low Stress Training (LST) was effective, bud quality was very good and yield was very good to excellent. But with my LED grows, absolutely NONE of my autoflowers stretched. I had complete grows that never exceeded 10” in height.But with LED I can’t help but think much more is possible. Over 44+ years of growing I’ve seen well trained plants out-yield plants with no training every time. So I want the ability to encourage stretch in my plants.
For the sake of other AFN members, I believe the inverse of this stretch phenomena could be very beneficial to growers with a limited amount of grow space headroom. I want to prove or disprove, to some relative degree of certainty, that light intensity can be used to influence stretch when growing cannabis. But first I need to gather data on other growers’ experiences with plant stretch, and its association to light intensity during the plant’s lifecycle.

This is NOT an opinion piece of “is LED better than HID?” LED is certainly different, and in many respects (heat &efficiency) we all know it IS better. And this is NOT an attempt to compare LED lighting brands. There are numerous characteristics of LED lighting that determine light quality, and our most excellent site admin, @Son of Hobbes has started a thread on what parameters can be used to define those. His efforts may be reviewed here: https://www.autoflower.org/threads/what-should-be-on-a-grow-light-review.64857/ I’ve added a few well chosen thoughts on that topic - PAR watts, efficiency, most favored color spectrum, etc.. But I’m not smart enough to make that final differentiation so I’m happy to watch as SOH finishes that. The only facts I intend to present here are those I’ve experienced with my auto grows.

There are a number of other factors besides lighting that affect plant growth. In an effort to keep this thread focused on light intensity with no outside variables, I asked one of AFN’s most experienced members, MedGrower, for his input. His comments, and my follow up confirming those variables were addressed, can be found in his grow thread located at https://www.autoflower.org/threads/...-dwc-hs1-telos-0008.64718/page-2#post-1758834
In consideration to MedGrower, if you have any comments / questions, send them to me or post here. I don’t want to trash his grow thread with my conspiracy theory so I’m asking each of you to please share that consideration with me.

For the sake of this study I’d like to focus on the two main lighting factors that control intensity - light height throughout the grow cycle, and “power” of the light over the grow canopy; i.e. watts per sq.ft.. Light height is an easy factor to define as long as we document the variation during a plant’s growth cycle. Plant canopy area is an easy measure. Power consumption is an easy measure. I know, watts per sq.ft. is not the most meaningful measure of an LED’s efficiency. But until or if we ever reach consensus of an industry standard measure for all lighting types, I am using watts consumed at the wall, per square foot. No matter how much we insist this is not the best method (I agree), wattage consumed per square foot is the only readily available factor across all lighting types. And no matter how much we agree to disagree, it should provide a reasonable enough classification of small / medium / large lighting to support this study.

My light ratings are 62.5W/sq.ft. for HID and 65W.sq.ft. for LED. As to other influences on plant stretch, my grow techniques with HID and LED are as close to identical as one can get for environmental control and nutrient regimen. So enough intro, let’s kick this in the ass as I describe my experiences with autoflowers to date.

My starting system for HID is a 250W cooltube and batwing reflector with a metal halide bulb for veg and a high pressure sodium for bloom. The tent is a 4 sq. ft. system (2' X 2' X 5’3") by Secret Jardin. I configured it with (2) 4” 170CFM centrifugal fans, one for light cooling and the other for odor control through a 12” X 4” Phresh carbon filter). My nutrient regimen is General Hydroponics’ expert recirculating formula with some strength and slight ingredient tweaks. This regimen has not changed between HID and LED grows.
I grow hydroponically, and my system is configured for a single plant in a DIY 4 gallon Ebb ‘n Gro net pot with hydroton clay pebbles. The system floods automatically every two hours for 15 minutes. I call this DIY because I do not rely upon the complex valves and fittings normally associated with commercially available ebb and grow systems. Those systems rely upon multiple pumps, flow control valves and timers opening and closing with each flood cycle to deliver and recover nutrients to/from the plant. A strength of these commercial systems is they enable the reservoir to sit at the same height as the grow containers. Negatives are they are complex and expensive. My system relies upon a passive DIY manifold sitting on top of the reservoir, and the only moving part is an inexpensive and very reliable 170 gph hydro pump. Total ebb n’grow component cost with four net pot buckets was under $100. I bought four net pot buckets to simplify plant positioning changes throughout my grows, and to run parallel grows in separate tents. My DIY manifold does raise system height by the height of the reservoir, but the entire reservoir, tent and plant container system comes in under 7’ tall. It’s a quality system with all the right parts, and it fits in a closet if it has to (mine doesn’t).

I’m going to drift off topic for a moment as I’ve been known to do. I’ve used all types of hydro systems for many years and this is my favorite. It re-oxygenates the root zone after each flood every two hours. Supply to the net pot is positive pressure flow, while draining is passive / gravity, so aggressive root growth is pushed back into the net pot and will never cause a clog in the system’s hydro line. And even if a clog were to somehow mysteriously occur, overflow is not possible due to the design of the manifold. The system is fully automated - I recently took an eight day trip with no worries that the system would stay fully functional until I returned, and it did. A separate reservoir (I use 12 to 14 gallons) from the grow container makes nutrient changes and maintenance simple, and the added capacity gives me plenty of “headroom” in the nutrient mix as the plant drinks.
Here’s a pic of the original HID tent. The manifold is the white bucket to the left outside the tent. The ebb ‘n Gro bucket is slightly out of position on the shelf behind the tent:

IMG

Here is a link with some interesting info about spectrum and cannabis that started me thinking way back. It also states that if the red to blue ratio is low, i.e. 60/40, the stretch will be minimized, and adding red will help the stretch. I too, that one step further, and found out that far reds and IR, as well as the UV need to be introduced early if you want that big stretch.
There is a phenomena called "shade stretch response", when you introduce the far reds, the plant thinks it is being shaded by larger plants and stretches.
Take a look. There is so much more out there and in my own study. Using your spectrum to adjust the plant itself is called photomorphogenetics. This is what I have been trying to explain to other growers. You can taylor make the plants and adjust spectrum to adjust thc, flavor and terpene production, oil and resin production as you would like them, to some extent.
I have been able to hunt elite phenos, and create plants with either more yield, or more potency. Fully adjustable light spectrum is where the future of growing is going to go. I just can't afford to spend that much money on a tech that is still developing. I will do my own experiments and wait a few years until the tech is better.

Here is the link.

https://californialightworks.com/using-spectrum-control-design-plant-aka-photo-morphogenetics/

Rock on AFN!
Thanks for the link and data. I am using a ChilLed Tech light 400 watt LED. With this light you are able to control the entire spectrum. Sad to say I have not used this built in function due to my total lack of knowledge on this topic. You should check them out. A grower I have followed a few years is Growmau5. He has moved to Washington state and is working with ChilLED full time. He is a wealth of information on this very topic.
type growmau5 led in google. Look at his stuff you will be delighted.

Hey Boyz n' Gurls, back from my CA plane / road trip, had a blast. Thanks for keeping my thread warm while I was gone, looks like I've got some great reading to catch up on from @MedCzech and @fettled6 among others. Many thanks.

Big Sur Highway from Monterey to Morro Bay was one of the most breathtaking drives I've ever made. Add to that a couple of days later, an all day drive inland through Sequoia National Forest & National Park, and Kings Canyon National Park. Sea level to 7800 ft above sea level; temps from 103 to 73, and some of the most beautiful mountain scenery I've encountered anywhere. My cell crashed the night before departure so all my pic's are on my camera. Soon as I get them downloaded I'll post a few drool worthy scenes for your viewing pleasure.
Oh yeah … and not to forget the Dispensary in Monterey... they had some great mid - and top-shelf stuff. King Berry was the night time strain and Samoa was the daytime. Except the Samoa was my fave for night time - the wife was not safe around me after smoking that shit :shooty:… Cowboy up!!!
And the wifey loved the candy. A ten pack mysteriously disappeared under her care while we were there and another ten pack made it home to the Middle Coast.

These strains convinced me I need to work on increasing the terpenes in my grows. I think the high on most of my stuff is well on par with their Humboldt & Mendocino grown strains, but they are kicking my ass for taste and aroma. Mine's not bad but I can see room to improve, and that's one area where I've not done much research. And I have no grow techniques to improve. So I need a plan and all good suggestions welcomed. What do you use? Are you happy with the results? What impact does it have on your ppm's / pH? Any other helpful hints?

In the meantime, while I was gone my current grow of Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto went batshit crazy. When I left she was on early bloom nutes, pH stable at 6.0, and ppm's seemed to be creeping downward from 900 to 860 over the last couple of days. But I didn't want to increase nute strength with a road trip in front of of me, so I set her on autopilot and took off. To return six days later, she had eaten 5 of the 12 gallons of nutes in my reservoir, ppm's had dropped from 860 to 740, and pH had spiked from 6.0 to 6.6. That scared me a bit so I hurried to raise ppm's & re-balance pH. I never like pH going that high, prefer to drift between 5.8 and 6.0 to 6.1, but there does not seem to be any adverse effect.
So before I left, I'd determined that 860ppm was not enough and the six day drop reinforced that. Over the last week I've moved to mid-bloom nute strength, settling around 950ppm. Over the next couple of days I should be able to determine if that's the sweet spot for the remainder of the grow, or if I have to drop back down a bit. We'll see.
Here she is yesterday, day 42:

21cb415.jpg

This plant has a great infrastructure & she's popping bud sites all over - I counted over 50 today as I was doing some more leaf pruning. And since I'm on the leaf pruning topic, I've NEVER seen a plant with such a propensity for leafiness. When I came back from CA I spent maybe 45 minutes leaf pruning and ended up with a plastic grocery bag filled with leaves. Not packed but not loose either. To put it scientifically, there was a shit-ton of leaves I removed. And today I removed about half that amount again. Which doesn't count what I took off yesterday. All total, I've removed at least TWO shit-tons of leaf :tang:.
And I noticed as I trimmed today, the trich's are starting to build up on the leaf and stems. By the time I'd finished I had to give the fingers a little alcohol rubdown to remove the stickiness. And turn up the carbon filter exhaust a bit on the speed controller. She's getting stanky!!!!

All in all I'm very happy with her. She's drinking close to a gallon a day & seems to have settled into a happy spot of 950ppm's. My only other observation is that she's very Nitrogen sensitive. Before I left for CA, all the lower to middle fan leaves took on a deep dark emerald green color - the classic beginning sign of too much Nitrogen in the nutes. I virtually had to eliminate all Flora Grow from my formulas before the leaves got back to a normal green.

@Dinafem-Mark Hey Buddy, earlier we conversed and I promised you I'd tag you into my Blue Cheese grow thread. Well, summers are not long enough here in the upper midwest, and life and all kinds of fun shit have gotten in the way. And showing no signs of lightening up till late Fall, so I'm afraid my few posts here, and several more on @Autotron 's grow thread are all I'm going to be able to manage. I am keeping notes & will probably put up a post mortem grow thread from start-to-finish once all the fun outdoor stuff settles in, so I'll keep you informed. But in the meantime, I have a couple of questions for you on your Blue Cheese Auto strain.

I'm really impressed so far, her infrastructure seems to be growing leaps & bounds & I'm thinking she will be a huge yielder when finished. My two questions:
Is this strain known for its propensity toward heavy leafiness? She's working me hard keeping her bush trimmed :woohoo: Loving it, having fun, but MAN she's working me hard!!! I'm second-guessing this might have been a residual of too much Nitrogen (see [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] next) but that's fixed and she is showing no signs of slowing up with the leafiness.
[HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] - have any other growers reported a sensitivity to Nitrogen in her nutrient requirements? I've used my own customized version of General Hydroponics' expert recirculating regimen for many years, and this is the first time I've encountered a plant showing signs of excess nitrogen consumption, while at the same time dropping ppm's & telling me she wants a stronger solution. I'm not a big fan of some growers' Lucas formulation of GH Flora.
But essentially, that's what I've been relegated to in my tweaks - eliminating all Flora Grow from my mix.
I know the Lucas formula keeps many growers out of trouble, and results in decent harvests. But I've never viewed it as an optimal formula - just a good one. I know that most Nitrogen comes from the Flora Micro base, but that's also where practically all of GH's micronutrients come from so I mos'def' don't want to reduce that. So basically I'm running a version of Lucas, but with full additives, to make her happy. It's working, no complaints, just looking for validation on my diagnosis in order to help others who decide to try this beautiful strain. Your thoughts or other growers experiences welcomed.
Some people say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well I fix shit anyway, & expect better things as a result :cooldance: "Good enough" is just not good enough for me.

Hey Boyz n' Gurls, back from my CA plane / road trip, had a blast. Thanks for keeping my thread warm while I was gone, looks like I've got some great reading to catch up on from @MedCzech and @fettled6 among others. Many thanks.

Big Sur Highway from Monterey to Morro Bay was one of the most breathtaking drives I've ever made. Add to that a couple of days later, an all day drive inland through Sequoia National Forest & National Park, and Kings Canyon National Park. Sea level to 7800 ft above sea level; temps from 103 to 73, and some of the most beautiful mountain scenery I've encountered anywhere. My cell crashed the night before departure so all my pic's are on my camera. Soon as I get them downloaded I'll post a few drool worthy scenes for your viewing pleasure.
Oh yeah … and not to forget the Dispensary in Monterey... they had some great mid - and top-shelf stuff. King Berry was the night time strain and Samoa was the daytime. Except the Samoa was my fave for night time - the wife was not safe around me after smoking that shit :shooty:… Cowboy up!!!
And the wifey loved the candy. A ten pack mysteriously disappeared under her care while we were there and another ten pack made it home to the Middle Coast.

These strains convinced me I need to work on increasing the terpenes in my grows. I think the high on most of my stuff is well on par with their Humboldt & Mendocino grown strains, but they are kicking my ass for taste and aroma. Mine's not bad but I can see room to improve, and that's one area where I've not done much research. And I have no grow techniques to improve. So I need a plan and all good suggestions welcomed. What do you use? Are you happy with the results? What impact does it have on your ppm's / pH? Any other helpful hints?

In the meantime, while I was gone my current grow of Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto went batshit crazy. When I left she was on early bloom nutes, pH stable at 6.0, and ppm's seemed to be creeping downward from 900 to 860 over the last couple of days. But I didn't want to increase nute strength with a road trip in front of of me, so I set her on autopilot and took off. To return six days later, she had eaten 5 of the 12 gallons of nutes in my reservoir, ppm's had dropped from 860 to 740, and pH had spiked from 6.0 to 6.6. That scared me a bit so I hurried to raise ppm's & re-balance pH. I never like pH going that high, prefer to drift between 5.8 and 6.0 to 6.1, but there does not seem to be any adverse effect.
So before I left, I'd determined that 860ppm was not enough and the six day drop reinforced that. Over the last week I've moved to mid-bloom nute strength, settling around 950ppm. Over the next couple of days I should be able to determine if that's the sweet spot for the remainder of the grow, or if I have to drop back down a bit. We'll see.
Here she is yesterday, day 42:

21cb415.jpg

This plant has a great infrastructure & she's popping bud sites all over - I counted over 50 today as I was doing some more leaf pruning. And since I'm on the leaf pruning topic, I've NEVER seen a plant with such a propensity for leafiness. When I came back from CA I spent maybe 45 minutes leaf pruning and ended up with a plastic grocery bag filled with leaves. Not packed but not loose either. To put it scientifically, there was a shit-ton of leaves I removed. And today I removed about half that amount again. Which doesn't count what I took off yesterday. All total, I've removed at least TWO shit-tons of leaf :tang:.
And I noticed as I trimmed today, the trich's are starting to build up on the leaf and stems. By the time I'd finished I had to give the fingers a little alcohol rubdown to remove the stickiness. And turn up the carbon filter exhaust a bit on the speed controller. She's getting stanky!!!!

All in all I'm very happy with her. She's drinking close to a gallon a day & seems to have settled into a happy spot of 950ppm's. My only other observation is that she's very Nitrogen sensitive. Before I left for CA, all the lower to middle fan leaves took on a deep dark emerald green color - the classic beginning sign of too much Nitrogen in the nutes. I virtually had to eliminate all Flora Grow from my formulas before the leaves got back to a normal green.

@Dinafem-Mark Hey Buddy, earlier we conversed and I promised you I'd tag you into my Blue Cheese grow thread. Well, summers are not long enough here in the upper midwest, and life and all kinds of fun shit have gotten in the way. And showing no signs of lightening up till late Fall, so I'm afraid my few posts here, and several more on @Autotron 's grow thread are all I'm going to be able to manage. I am keeping notes & will probably put up a post mortem grow thread from start-to-finish once all the fun outdoor stuff settles in, so I'll keep you informed. But in the meantime, I have a couple of questions for you on your Blue Cheese Auto strain.

I'm really impressed so far, her infrastructure seems to be growing leaps & bounds & I'm thinking she will be a huge yielder when finished. My two questions:
Is this strain known for its propensity toward heavy leafiness? She's working me hard keeping her bush trimmed :woohoo: Loving it, having fun, but MAN she's working me hard!!! I'm second-guessing this might have been a residual of too much Nitrogen (see [HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] next) but that's fixed and she is showing no signs of slowing up with the leafiness.
[HASHTAG]#2[/HASHTAG] - have any other growers reported a sensitivity to Nitrogen in her nutrient requirements? I've used my own customized version of General Hydroponics' expert recirculating regimen for many years, and this is the first time I've encountered a plant showing signs of excess nitrogen consumption, while at the same time dropping ppm's & telling me she wants a stronger solution. I'm not a big fan of some growers' Lucas formulation of GH Flora.
But essentially, that's what I've been relegated to in my tweaks - eliminating all Flora Grow from my mix.
I know the Lucas formula keeps many growers out of trouble, and results in decent harvests. But I've never viewed it as an optimal formula - just a good one. I know that most Nitrogen comes from the Flora Micro base, but that's also where practically all of GH's micronutrients come from so I mos'def' don't want to reduce that. So basically I'm running a version of Lucas, but with full additives, to make her happy. It's working, no complaints, just looking for validation on my diagnosis in order to help others who decide to try this beautiful strain. Your thoughts or other growers experiences welcomed.
Some people say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. Well I fix shit anyway, & expect better things as a result :cooldance: "Good enough" is just not good enough for me.

Here is a link to a really nice article about improving your terpene production. Most info in one place I have ever seen.
https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-improve-cannabis-smell

Thanks my Friend, I'll be studying this in depth later tonight! I love that website, have it on my Favorites Bar, but hadn't discovered that topic. Much appreciated.

No problem. As I mentioned, growing for a long time and I know that flavor and smell is more important to me than anything else really. I do like to have a balanced med cabinet that fit my needs, but the flavors are very important to set the mood and enhance the experience.
I think it has something to do with the fact that I like the green hit and doing one hitters because you get the most taste that way. Glass yes, but not water filtered because you lose taste. You get pickier when you get older...:nono:

No problem. As I mentioned, growing for a long time and I know that flavor and smell is more important to me than anything else really. I do like to have a balanced med cabinet that fit my needs, but the flavors are very important to set the mood and enhance the experience.
I think it has something to do with the fact that I like the green hit and doing one hitters because you get the most taste that way. Glass yes, but not water filtered because you lose taste. You get pickier when you get older...:nono:
Same here. Was always taught that if one bat can't do the trick then it's not for me.

Hey brother appreciate your insight as a long term grower. do you do concentrates?

Hey brother appreciate your insight as a long term grower. do you do concentrates?
The only concentrate I do is bubble hash and some times I press for rosin, but no oil or tinctures for me.

I know OSP is off on vacation! And had kinda wound up this thread but data is comming in so where best to plonk it until we can get together and get a new discussion going on what makes these girls tick and especially autos!

f6

All ok with me. I have a lot to do anyways preparing my grow room for the next run, getting supplies stocked up, and let's not forget partake of some of the fine herbs I have in the med cabinet!
Let me know when you want to start the conversation back up, but in the meantime, I might still post a few things here so we can discuss them later on.

Thanks for the help and support. It's so nice to find other great people like yourself who have found balance in their own lives and can share with others.

PLEASE keep the comments coming, good to have bookmarks we can come back to. I did kind of put this thread on hold because I convinced myself it was not light intensity preventing stretch, but I never really answered the question of what WAS preventing it. So I'd like to shift toward spectrum as the prime cause as soon as I can resurrect this thread later this fall. Right now I'm busy playing outdoors but once I settle in for another North Country long winter's nap, it will be time.

Test

Test
Back