Grow Mediums EC ppm CF TDS conversion chart

Grey Bear

Confidential Cultivator
Reaction score
Hey Folks,
the chart below will help you and others "speak the same language" when diagnosing solution issues.

EC, ppm, CF are all methods of determining your "Total Dissolved Solids"

EC is a universal standard and I prefer it, as it is the same regardless of country.

ppm has three different conversion standards

USA 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm
European 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm
Australian 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

For example,
Hanna, Milwaukee 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 500 ppm
Eutech 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 640 ppm
Truncheon 1 ms/cm (EC 1.0 or CF 10) = 700 ppm

PPM – Parts Per Million. For every million parts water, the PPM tells you how many parts of non-water impurities are in the water. By impurity, I am referring to anything that isn’t pure water. Pure water does not conduct electricity. It’s the dissolved salts in the water that conduct electricity.
TDS – Total Dissolved Solids. This refers to the impurities in the water. Whatever is dissolved in the water is a dissolved solid. That impurity could be anything from Chlorine to the nutrients you are adding, to anything else the water has absorbed and carried into your reservoir.
EC – Electrical Conductivity. All nutrient ions in the water carry an electrical charge. This is how nutrient meters measure and estimate the PPM. EC is charted with a decimal point. Most EC meters will measure between 0.2 and 3.6 EC.
CF – Conductivity Factor. CF is the same as EC but without the decimal.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ec_ppm_conversion_chart.png
    ec_ppm_conversion_chart.png
    403 KB · Views: 4,547
:clap:- *ding-ding-ding-ding*- :clap: --great idea GB :d5:... might even duplicate it at the Ref' forum,...relevant to all!

Thanks folks,
I just compiled the relevant info.
Water quality and some of the basics concerning it confuse many people.
If you go to any aquaria websites or forums you will find that serious hobbyist have a good understanding of water chemistry. I feel like it is much better than the equivalent cannabis hobbyist.

I will try to get together some other basic stuff and sticky it also.
Like what is chlorine as it pertains to most tap water and it's effect on plants.
What is chloramine as it pertains to tap water and it's effect on plants.
How to effectively nuetralize them if it is a concern.
Rain Water, Good, Bad, or just plain?

Hey Grey bear i bought a ph and tds meter off of ebay . I stay in the us so do u no if its `5 or .7 it was a cheap meter . Like $30 dollars for the pair .

1. Do i need to buy a better brand .

2. Or is that ok

I hv heard a lot of mixed convos on that one i just wantes to ask some one wise
. Thanks for ya time

Hey Grey bear i bought a ph and tds meter off of ebay . I stay in the us so do u no if its `5 or .7 it was a cheap meter . Like $30 dollars for the pair .

1. Do i need to buy a better brand .

2. Or is that ok

I hv heard a lot of mixed convos on that one i just wantes to ask some one wise
. Thanks for ya time

Lots of the "less expensive" ones work fine, if you don't abuse them. But some of the cheap ones are just crap.

As far as which standard it uses, it should be in the tiny instructions that usually come with those pens.

I am guessing it is going to be .5 as it is more common to find that being sold in and to the US. But, you should be able to check with the seller.

Here is a pic of them both it dnt say in the instructions CAM01152.jpg . And i can remember the seller i hv to try and dig around . But thanks

I had the yellow one then brought one for $80.00 and found out how far out the yellow one was . ok for the short term . best to have calibration fluid on hand .

Back