Grow Room Do the new air pots increase plant size and yeild?

Airpots and fabric pots water best by soaking in a bucket or plastic tub. But can be tricky if the plant is big

I used plastic nursery pots for years... added holes, used diff types of soils & soiless mixes... someone told me to try 3gal felt pots when I up potted, explained to me how the pots "air prune" the roots to prevent root bound plants.. sure, okay bro... so, went shopping... what I found out was, you get'
what you pay for. I went cheap on my first order, returned the garbage and took it seriously.. got some double stitched super nice ones at a great price..
$12/5 pots...

When you get these dialed in, which I had to up my watering as like many stated, because air passes thru the felt the substrate will/can dry out easier.
so I went from watering every 3 days to every 2 and they loved it.. you'd get a feel for weight and simply go pick one up, you know if it's thirsty... LOL>

I am never going to use anything else... and after each grow, you just knock as much dirt n crap off of it and wash them.. I recommend going to a laundry mat.. why screw up your own washer with all that crap... lol. last me a yr easily....

Air Pruning: ok, this is why a felt pot. Air pruning means when the root hits the edge of the felt pot, instead of curling back inward toward the tap root, the felt pot prunes it when it hits pots edge.. Meaning, the larger root is killed at the tip causing branching to come off of it all over, these are the feeder roots you want as they uptake nutrients to the plant.. so each time a root hits the felt pot edge, it creates hundreds of tiny feeder roots that just keep branching off... I inspected a plant after harvest from my 1st felt pot, I do this often, and I was amazed at how few large roots were present.. the root ball was tight but not bound....

Watering: I too had experienced these drying out, especially my 2gal pots I used for feminized Autos... I found out what worked best for me was
to keep the felt pots in trays, water from bottom up while filling trays measuring how many gallons need for the plants first... when I feed I do it
from the top down... next watering I might add some to water to keep the food active... Water, Water, Feed... repeat. LOL.

There is a learning curve when switching to these Felt Pots, but used correctly

66 days in 025.jpg
66 days in 047.jpg
66 days in 022.jpg
66 days in 014.jpg

I am contemplating buying these pots named: TUBULAR Breathable Soft-Sided Grow Bags by JurassicPots®

They are very tall, but with a small footprint so I can squeeze alot of 2 gallon pots into my SOG where I wouldn't be able to fit as many usual fabric pots \ air pots or square pots.

This is what the Ebay seller says:

"
Jurassic Pots ® breathable soft-sided grow bags allow roots to air prune and grow more small runner roots for better nutrient uptake. Air root pruning is a key component to healthy and vigorous root system. The special shape optimize your space for urban gardening or when you plant with Sea of Green method because you can fit more plants in limited room. Only the room for path to enter is needed no need of wasting your space and resources.

•The Tubular (Extra Tall) shape is great space-saver and prevents the stress for the plants with deep(Taproot sys) or long root system. Thanks to the air pruning the roots develop in the desired direction and reaches the moisture and the nutrient solution quicker. These Extra Tall shape is a perfect decision for bottom feeding and when you want to irrigate your plants faster and all at a time. Just you need to set up a plate for each single pot or tray to fit more plants in it. The depth must be between 3-5 inches(8-17cm) which will ensure enough water reserve for optimal root performance"

Back