Grow Room Do the new air pots increase plant size and yeild?

Reaction score
Currently Smoking
cookies, fruit punch, and waiting for mephitso
I have been looking over the new air pots on Amazon. I now use regular plastic nursery pots(2gallon) with organic soil under my 2 400 watt lamps(MH and HPS). My yield from my autos is 1/2 of what I obtained from the fem plants I used to grow previously. I was wondering if these air pots, 2 or 3 gallon, would increase the plants size and yield over the regular plastic nursery pots? The air pots are 10 times more expensive compared to the plastic nursery pots on Amazon. $15 each verses $2 each. Or, could I just get my drill out and put a bunch of holes in my cheap plastic nursery pots and obtain the same results? Any input from your own experience would be appreciated.

i took my drill to my old plastic pots,seemed to improve things a lil.got some airpots and things seemed to go up a level.i live in a cool part of the world encouraging pots to dry out quicker i think is an advantage.if you lived in a very warm part you may not want pots drying out so quick?
good luck n keep er lit.
:pass:

I was wondering about the same thing. I bought a bunch of fabric pots and found that they dried out too much for me for my climate ( with non cannabis ). It stays dry barely rains and gets to triple digits. The air pots look cool but I think I would have to water too much.

i took my drill to my old plastic pots,seemed to improve things a lil.got some airpots and things seemed to go up a level.i live in a cool part of the world encouraging pots to dry out quicker i think is an advantage.if you lived in a very warm part you may not want pots drying out so quick?
good luck n keep er lit.
:pass:

Not to mention the more they dry out the more feed you are giving them!! Air pruning is always a benefit too!!

I was wondering about the same thing. I bought a bunch of fabric pots and found that they dried out too much for me for my climate ( with non cannabis ). It stays dry barely rains and gets to triple digits. The air pots look cool but I think I would have to water too much.

Change your mix and use an additive like vermiculite to retain water for longer periods of time. Shade your pots as well to reduce root overheating.

Just a heads up on an alternative to the expensive air pots on amazon. I found a very similar pot at half the price of the air pots. They are called Ultra Oxy Pot. I obtained 10 of these pots for only $72. That includes shipping. I have not put them together and used them yet. They look almost identical to the air pots and 10 of them would have cost over $150 on amazon. I'll give a shout out to HTG Supply for providing these cheaper alternatives.

The fabric pots are also a nice alternative, depending on what your reasoning is for wanting the Airpots. And if you're good with DIY, you can pick up some of the fabric pretty cheap at most fabric stores and sew or glue gun together your own to really save a buck.

:greenthumb:

Worst crap i have ever tried and didn't make a difference in yield.

Pros: None in my case, used FFOF along with their trio nutes at the time

Cons: Pot dries out quickly especially during flower, if you waited too long in between waterings it will flow through the first few holes so you must keep on watering while it flows through the first few holes till all the medium is completely watered in the center to the bottom..real fun, makes a mess, takes more nutes and effort because of the reasons mentioned above.

If you want to give your roots plenty of air just use extra perlite in your medium. Problem solved. If you use coco coir/20% perlite you will not have to worry about co2 build up or oxygen deprivation from the soil decomposing. Coir does not decompose fast enough to create this problem plus it is also airomatic so that your roots have more than enough air. You will also increase your yield with coco coir compared to soil.

Last edited:
Airpots and fabric pots water best by soaking in a bucket or plastic tub. But can be tricky if the plant is big

I grow in flooded trays with coco. Tried airpot and smartpots like this too, now netpots rule. Sometimes I drop the netpot in a 25 l autopot before flowering, depends how tall I think the plant will get, or special food, then I use the autopot tray with run off into the big tray, tray-in-a-tray haha, like the last pics. The square one is 11 l, only 18 cm tall and cost 50 cents. The round one is 3 l
CameraZOOM-) 100520181423_1.jpg
CameraZOOM-) 140520180936_1.jpg
CameraZOOM-) 140520180936.jpg
CameraZOOM-) 140520180948.jpg
CameraZOOM-) 140520180949.jpg
CameraZOOM-) 140520181011.jpg

The insulation foam is there for 3 things, easier to water from the top, reduce evaporation and with luck maybe also bounce some photons.

Last edited:
I grow in flooded trays with coco. Tried airpot and smartpots like this too, now netpots rule. Sometimes I drop the netpot in a 25 l autopot before flowering, depends how tall I think the plant will get, or special food, then I use the autopot tray with run off into the big tray, tray-in-a-tray haha, like the last pics. The square one is 11 l, only 18 cm tall and cost 50 cents. The round one is 3 l
View attachment 906086 View attachment 906087 View attachment 906088 View attachment 906089 View attachment 906090 View attachment 906091

The insulation foam is there for 3 things, easier to water from the top, reduce evaporation and with luck maybe also bounce some photons.

Please I need a link to those 50 cent net pots such a good idea lol

Back