Do the conditions that create "fall colors" have any impact on quality or quantity?

Humanrob

Perpetual Beginner
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
DIY - CBD:THC Edibles
Halfway through the grow my dimmer switch broke and so my light is stuck on full power, which in this case is over 400w in 2x4 tent. I raised the light and backed the hours from 21/3 to 19/5. I noticed the other night that lights off my temps were 63º, peak of lights on is 83º, my understanding is that temp swing explains the dramatic "fall colors" I'm getting. I can live with that.

My question is; do these environmental conditions (which I'm stuck with for now) have any known impact on final harvest weight or quality? I was really hoping for a pound from this tent, but I don't think I'm seeing 2oz per plant in there. It could be close. This is day 70 from sprout (+/-), with 8 different strains.

03.20.23_week10-angle1.jpg03.20.23_week10-angle2.jpg

Nothing to sweat here mate! Cold T's can cause some color expression, though some cultivars do this regardless of T's; others may put on quite the show with the cold enhancing it. This late in the game, nothing's gonna be compromised, even the high T's are not out of line though I'd like to see that high down into the 70's again...
Higher T's can make more terp's gas off temporarily, but the plant regenerates them during dark/night... this is the "trick" behind that whole dark period thing before harvest mainly, especially outdoor plants. Indoors aren't exposed to Sun and wind which take their toll on terp's... Dark period does nothing for cannabinoids, this is the myth that needs to be busted! Likely, folks "observing" this apparent potency increase are in fact feeling the high terp content which we know plays a huge role in potency/effects via that entourage effect, but not actual THC% elevation... UV light does this alone....
Raising the lights and dropping hours is just fine, better in fact as you head to final days! The building phase is long over now, final ripening is about terp's and to a lesser degree, how much ambering you like... Just make sure the air movement remains good, now is when the Rots can strike... Oh and let the pots dry out more, water uptake is dropping as well at this time and soaked pots can force the issue of uptake which makes the plant try to dump the excess out through the leaves (guttation)... sitting water on buds is just what the Rots loves - :nono:

Nothing to sweat here mate! Cold T's can cause some color expression, though some cultivars do this regardless of T's; others may put on quite the show with the cold enhancing it. This late in the game, nothing's gonna be compromised, even the high T's are not out of line though I'd like to see that high down into the 70's again...
Higher T's can make more terp's gas off temporarily, but the plant regenerates them during dark/night... this is the "trick" behind that whole dark period thing before harvest mainly, especially outdoor plants. Indoors aren't exposed to Sun and wind which take their toll on terp's... Dark period does nothing for cannabinoids, this is the myth that needs to be busted! Likely, folks "observing" this apparent potency increase are in fact feeling the high terp content which we know plays a huge role in potency/effects via that entourage effect, but not actual THC% elevation... UV light does this alone....
Raising the lights and dropping hours is just fine, better in fact as you head to final days! The building phase is long over now, final ripening is about terp's and to a lesser degree, how much ambering you like... Just make sure the air movement remains good, now is when the Rots can strike... Oh and let the pots dry out more, water uptake is dropping as well at this time and soaked pots can force the issue of uptake which makes the plant try to dump the excess out through the leaves (guttation)... sitting water on buds is just what the Rots loves - :nono:
Thanks for the great information! :d5:

In my tent set up, I don't have a lot of options around temps. At the beginning of the grow, in order to keep the canopy warm enough, I reversed my exhaust fan -- it sits on top of the tent and blows *into* the tent, venting out the bottom. This takes warmer air from the top of the room, blows it over the old (warm) COB light, and then down over the plants. It has the nice additional impact of blowing the sides of my tent outward, instead of sucking them in, giving me several more inches of grow space for my crowded tent. If I reverse the direction of my fan, even on its lowest setting (which would not help as much with mold issues), the tent temps would drop by about 10 degrees, and take much longer to warm up, spending many hours of the cycle below 70º. That would be a pretty drastic change to happen suddenly.

One thing is unclear to me, can you clarify your reference to "UV light does this alone..."?
:thanks:

Why not locate the fan and filter outside the tent? You don't want the tent walls blowing out. Negative pressure you want.
The fan is outside the tent, sitting on top of it. My understanding is that negative pressure is all about making sure no air/smell leaves the tent except through the filter. Don't need a filter, just me and my wife living here in a legal state, the tent is in our living room, we love the smell of the plants near harvest filling the house. I'm not aware of negative pressure providing any benefit to the plants? There's lots I don't know, if I'm missing something, let me know.
:pass:

Back