DIY DIY 60w LED veg light 5400 lumen

Reaction score
Here we go
I made this Diy led. At this point its just made for vegging. my plan was to make 3 x 30 w panels with a switch for veg light and for flower but i can only find 10w chips with
Daylight white (6000 - 6500K color temperature)
Color:warm white (3000 - 3400K color temperature
Color: cold white (10000 - 12000K color temperature)
Red wavelength:620-625nm

Green wavelength:520-525nm

Blue wavelength:452-460nm
Yellow wavelength:590-592nm

And i would like to have som 660nm dark red, so for now its just for vegging

Materials i used was as follows

3 x 10w led chips 3000 kelvin 900 lumen 6$
3 x 10w led chips 6000 kelvin 900 lumen 6$
1 x 30w led driver 13$
1 x 30w led driver 9$
1 x 80x80x25 mm 37cfm computer fan 7$
2 x Aluminium cheat 10x25cm 3mm 25$
1 x 12v connector for the fan 1$
1 x 12v 500ma 220v adapter 8$
Cooling paste for a computer "CPU" $?

wire and some other stuff :joint:

Total around 75$

It was more expensive than i had hoped for :( BUT
the wattage consumption is only 38w that is 2/3 of the 60w so a year or two it paid for it self in power consumption :D (not using my hps)

i just finished it today, it all seem to work but these led get damm hot
so i leave in on for a couple of days to se if the cooling works. maybe i have to make the fan blow down from the top i dont know yet.
Sorry for the bad english its not my native language and i had a couple of beers (it's friday)
Pictures bad phone quality
View attachment 229456
View attachment 229457
View attachment 229455

View attachment 229459
View attachment 229461
View attachment 229462
View attachment 229463
View attachment 229464
:dance2:
Peace

Last edited:
Hi
The led has been on for +- 24 hours and the alu plate, it is so hot that it will give burn marks if i squeeze it tight for 30 sec. but if it aint broke don't fix it LOL. I don't know how hot these led operate on. but the lower temp it can be on the better it is, I think ?. Work in progress.
But anyway i have som white widow fem photo cuttings sitting under the led for the next 30 days or so.And more cuttings to come. So time will tell if it was to hot for the leds. Heat issues can be fixed. Not a prob.
:dance2:
Peace

very impressive work. i hope the leds last under that heat

very impressive work. i hope the leds last under that heat

Thanx
i have read on some datasheet from cree and some of the philips leds that they have a operating temperatur up to 140c. So im not worried. if the plastic on the fan starts to melt then im worried LOL.
More heat less light (Lumen). So i will fix it, but for now, my clones need some light the next 30 days. and then the led will have a makeover
Peace

Nice work! i was thinking of trying a diy led also, and the heat was a concern of mine also. i was thinking of either using old heat sinks from cpu coolers, or even blowing the fan across the led's themselves. i have a lot of old electronics lying around..maybe ill look for some of the heat fins from the internal amplifiers.
not to sound all teacher like..just an idea lol did you try closing in the side with something to create a channel to ensure maximum fan usage? it would allow the fan to only move air between the 2 alum plates? just a though Good luck..looks like fun.
ps where did you find the chips? :smokebuds: :karma:

Nice work! i was thinking of trying a diy led also, and the heat was a concern of mine also. i was thinking of either using old heat sinks from cpu coolers, or even blowing the fan across the led's themselves. i have a lot of old electronics lying around..maybe ill look for some of the heat fins from the internal amplifiers.
not to sound all teacher like..just an idea lol did you try closing in the side with something to create a channel to ensure maximum fan usage? it would allow the fan to only move air between the 2 alum plates? just a though Good luck..looks like fun.
ps where did you find the chips? :smokebuds: :karma:

Thanx
I have the same thought about the cooling grills from old amps. Just need to find some. and about making the aluplate a u shape "with sides" channel the ariflow will make it better also.
My thoughts so far is: making the fan blow down from the top plate, and make som sides to make a channel. and find a ir thermometer to check how hot it gets.
Blowing acros the led "frontside" will not help. the leds front are not hot at all, i think your can put your finger on the led front whitout burns.
I used aliexpress.com for the led and the led drivers. make a search for "10w 900lm led", just make sure you use a constant current led driver at the same current rate as the leds.
lowbudge has a grow going with some culturelux 30w led with heatsink and that heatsink is big for only 30w.
https://www.autoflower.org/f104/ss-big-bud-automatic-culturelux-30w-tower-pc-18724.html
Take a look.
But anyho i'll make it work with less heat on the way :D and i'll keep you posted.
Peace

Back