Deficiency, Burn, or False Alarm?

olegren

stuck in my cabana, living on bananas and blow
Cultivators Club
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
Lil' Wild Lamb (Beaver Genetics)
Problem: Just noticed a strange splotch on some newer growth. There are 3 other plants (one of the same strain) in tent which started on the same day and have shared the same treatment. None of those are showing any issues.

Medium/grow method: Soil (FFHF) + Perilite. I checked soil PH with my Accurate 8, and it looks to be right on the nose at 7.0.

Feed: and supplements used: Prescription Blend. Just started week 1 of veg nutes regimen Tuesday. She's had two separate 16 oz. waterings with these nutes this week. Each was ~340ppm. (Basically 1 gallon mixed and split evenly between 4 plants in 2 separate waterings)

water source: RO water PH'ed to 6.5

Strain/age: Bruce Banner Auto - 19 days since sprout

light used: 260W QB. Dimmed a bit right now and around 29" above top. This plant's getting about 25K lux at the moment. 20/4 schedule.

Climate: 80.2 degrees F & 55.3% RH

Additional info: Gonna keep an eye on it, but I appreciate you having a look with me. I have seen similar symptoms in previous grows (Under different circumstances - different soil, different strains, very hard water, no nutes) which eventually got worse. That said, I may be over-reacting to something minor - But want to get ahead of it if I'm seeing the same thing I encountered in the past as it severely impacted the plant long term. Some of these leaf tips look burnt to me, so wondering if the nutes came on a little too strong; but not sure how to explain those splotches on the leaves.

Update 8/22: I was encouraged not to see any escalation yesterday. Unfortunately, I found several new spots today.

The spots are in the more mature (larger) leaves. Meanwhile, newer growth continues to have some yellowing in the tips and a fairly prominent fade from light to dark at the edges. Attaching a few more photos to illustrate this. This seems like either burn or Cal Mag deficiencies to me, but I can't figure out which.

Attachments

• Day 19 - E2.jpg
    Day 19 - E2.jpg
    703.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Day 19 - E2 Marked Up.jpg
    Day 19 - E2 Marked Up.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Day 19 - E2 More Spots.jpg
    Day 19 - E2 More Spots.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 65
  • Day 19 - E2 Burnt Tips.jpg
    Day 19 - E2 Burnt Tips.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Day 21 - Spots 2.jpg
    Day 21 - Spots 2.jpg
    576.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Day 21 - Spots 3.jpg
    Day 21 - Spots 3.jpg
    560.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Day 21 - Spots.jpg
    Day 21 - Spots.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Day 21 - Spots 4.jpg
    Day 21 - Spots 4.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Day 21 - Crop 1.jpg
    Day 21 - Crop 1.jpg
    612.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Day 21 - Crop 2.jpg
    Day 21 - Crop 2.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Day 21 - Crop 3.jpg
    Day 21 - Crop 3.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Looks like it could be a big issue or some nutrient water splashed up on Th em is my guess

Looks like it could be a big issue or some nutrient water splashed up on Th em is my guess

Thanks for the insights!

I've been looking hard for signs of bugs; but not seeing anything. The other three sitting around her don't seem to be exhibiting any similar issues. Can you think of anything I should look for?

The idea of some nute water splashing up is interesting though. I had this one in various states of mild LST while watering, so it is very possible. I tried taking a few close-ups of the splotches (attached) - but not sure if it helps much.

Day 21 - Spots Closeups 1.jpg

Day 21 - Spots Closeups 2.jpg

Day 21 - Spots Closeups 3.jpg

Day 21 - Spots Closeups 4.jpg

Are u using a cal/mag supplement? I found out on my first grows under lights that cal/mag supplement is necessary. Outdoors I never used it, but indoors is a different animal. And as already stated, a nutrient splash will do that as well. I've only done a couple indoor grows so I am throwing darts eh. :shrug:I never had problems outdoors so I am learning as well about this indoor growing.

Are u using a cal/mag supplement? I found out on my first grows under lights that cal/mag supplement is necessary. Outdoors I never used it, but indoors is a different animal. And as already stated, a nutrient splash will do that as well. I've only done a couple indoor grows so I am throwing darts eh. :shrug:I never had problems outdoors so I am learning as well about this indoor growing.

Hey! Thanks for the thoughts here. :) I am not using cal mag. I have seen many say it is a necessity particularly with RO water & quantum boards, so I have been leaning in this direction. However the feed I'm giving does include some calmag, but not sure of the quantity/proportion

I have separate cal mag as well and could try giving her a little of that at maybe 1/4 dose to see if it stops the appearance of new spots?

Hey! Thanks for the thoughts here. :) I am not using cal mag. I have seen many say it is a necessity particularly with RO water & quantum boards, so I have been leaning in this direction. However the feed I'm giving does include some calmag, but not sure of the quantity/proportion

I have separate cal mag as well and could try giving her a little of that at maybe 1/4 dose to see if it stops the appearance of new spots?

@Waira I don't want to mislead olegren so i tagged you here as you are the plant whisperer. Hope you don't mind.:toke: I tagged Waira for some input so I don't mess you up. Me, I'd go with cal/mag and see what happens yet I don't want to say to do that with your plants.

@Waira I don't want to mislead olegren so i tagged you here as you are the plant whisperer. Hope you don't mind.:toke: I tagged Waira for some input so I don't mess you up. Me, I'd go with cal/mag and see what happens yet I don't want to say to do that with your plants.

Thanks - I do appreciate the disclaimer; even if I think you are being a bit humble! Waira actually helped me the last time I ran into this, and I've tried to put a lot of their recommendations into this grow. Very similar symptoms to what I am seeing here; but about a week later in that grow. This plant has been much healthier and more vigorous than that one though, and it was suffering from several issues - not just this one.

If that's a Cal-Mag problem this early in the grow, your mix has serous problems. Looks like you just splashed some nute on it during watering/feeding.

I watered a little yesterday and suddenly noticed a new splotch on another plant today. Starting to think you guys are right and I've just been splashing since I've been watering them with a solo cup. I try to be gentle, but no doubt it has happened. I ordered a sprayer that should be here end of week. Hopefully that will help.

I'll keep an eye on them, but so far none of the spots seem to be spreading. I think I just saw them and panicked that I was seeing the same issues I saw before.

Thanks!

Back