Old Reviews DaVinci IQ

Spanglish

Certified Rambler
Reaction score
Currently Smoking
White Crack and Alien Vs Triangle
After a couple of years now since getting onto the vaping train with my Solo have decided to invest in a newer, smaller more modern portable vape.

Since getting the Solo the must have vape for has been either a Crafty or Mighty due to trying and being impressed with the former of the two and the many fantastic online reviews. So when the misses said i could treat myself to a new vape for a early Christmas pressie i was ready to pull the trigger on one of the Storz and Bickel models.

But then the new DaVinci IQ caught my eye on a few review sites and social media, with the few people that have already received one praising it very highly, that along with a 10 Year guarantee, replaceable 18650 battery made it seem like a more sensible long term investment for my money.

So my decision was swayed and a pre order was put in for the IQ this morning, whether it was the right one to make is still yet to be seen but am pretty confident it will be a good bit of kit, so now with the shipping started on the 31st October for the original pre orders am just gonna have to be patient and wait and see.

Will add a unboxing here when it arrives along with some first opinions, but for now will drop a couple of videos here that i have found of the IQ, and try not act like a kid waiting for Christmas till it arrives lol

IQ1.png

Well after some very pleasant and timely communication with Andrew at Divinci customer service, my card payment has passed the manual verification process for international order and is now marked as "Awaiting Shipping", he also mentioned that most backorders have now been shipped out and should not be long at all before mine is in the mail, gotta give them a 10/10 for customer service so far based on my experiences ;)

While waiting here is a pretty cool breakdown on the unit, this is not my own work and full credits go the source @ TheVapeGuide

The is a smart vaporizer with a unique LED interface and some very innovative features. In this review, we’ll go over unboxing, interface overview- with or without the app. We’ll also talk about the unique Zirconia air path of the IQ, and about the customizable smart paths that were a lot of fun to play with and produced outstanding results. Lastly, we’ll load the IQ with Dry Herb and use it to test vapor quality and efficiency.

DaVinci’s last vaporizer- the Ascent was ahead of its time and was one of the best vaporizers a few years ago when it was released. The release of the IQ is very anticipated, and I was excited for this one

DaVinci IQ Kit comes with:
In the box, we have the IQ Vaporizer, 2 Zirconia mouthpieces (flat and extended), Instruction Manual, small storage container and a box with accessories.

In the accessories box we have- a few cleaning wipes, a cleaning brush, and a chamber tool. The Chamber tool has another small metal tool sitting inside of it, that will allow to pull out the air path for cleaning purposes. And we also have the micro USB charging cable.

What is Zirconia?
Before we continue, I’d like to take a moment and talk about Zirconia (view wiki definition). The DaVinci IQ features a few Zirconia pieces, and basically, the whole airflow and mouthpiece is made of Zirconia. So let’s clarify what is Zirconia and why DaVinci chose to use it.

Zirconia is a very dense material, that is tougher and more resistant to wear and tear than Ceramic. Zirconia also has a high-temperature capability up to 2,400ºC, it’s non-magnetic, and has low thermal conductivity. Zirconia is sometimes referred to as ‘ceramic steel’ as it has the properties of ceramic and the toughness of steel.

da-vinci-iq-vaporizer-review-765x430.jpg

Zirconia mouthpieces and vapor path ensure the purest, cleanest vapor. From left to right: AirPath (aka Flavor Chamber), extended mouthpiece, flat mouthpiece, and the Pearl on top.

DaVinci IQ Design:
The Da Vinci IQ has a unique and interesting design. On the front we have the LED interface, on the side, there are three buttons, and on the back, there is the charging port. The mouthpiece sits on top of the IQ and opens up with a gentle pull. It has s small magnet to ensure proper closing.

On the bottom of the IQ is the Chamber, that has a Zirconia “Pearl” which we are going to talk about in just a little bit. The chamber cover is also magnetic and closes easily.

The Vapor path goes along the side of the IQ, into the air path, and from there it travels into the mouthpiece. The DaVinci IQ also has a small tool hidden alongside the air path, and you can use your fingernail to pull it out. You can use this tool to pull out the Zirconia air path, which is also called the “Flavor chamber”. The flavor chamber cools down the vapor and preserves its purity and aromas.

davinci-Zirconia-vaporizer-765x430.jpg

The Zirconia air-path (aka “Flavor Chamber”) can be left empty, or filled with herb to enhance the flavor.

The flavor chamber can also be filled with dry herb to exchange the experience and to get an even richer flavor. Use the supplied tool to open the little cap, and you can place some dry herb inside. They will not cook, but as the vapor travels through the chamber, it will absorb fresh flavor from the herb you placed inside.

On the bottom of the IQ we have the Ceramic oven, and the Vapor travels upwards into the flavor chamber (which you can either leave empty or fill with dry herb) and then into the mouthpiece. The vapor path on the IQ is designed to produce the highest quality vapor, and to preserve the pure natural flavor of the herb. And as you will learn soon, it very much did so.

On the left side of the IQ, we’ll find the replaceable battery. The IQ uses a 3500mAh 18650 battery, which can be replaced or charged outside of the device.

The exterior shell is made from Sand-blasted Anodized Aluminum and the DaVinci IQ comes in 4 colors: Stealth, Copper, Blue, Gunmetal. The IQ is well designed and feels balanced and solid while holding and using. The interface of the DaVinci IQ features a “51-light-grid” display on the front of the vaporizer. The Light Grid will display the temperature as well as allow controlling features of the device.

Let’s take a closer look at the bottom of the IQ. Opening the lid will expose the chamber and the Zirconia “Pearl”. And the purpose of this pearl is to reflect more heat into the chamber and extract the active ingredients more efficiently. When the lid is closed, the pearl will perfectly fit into the bottom of the oven and will heat up during the session. This will heat up the dry herb from the sides and the bottom. This ended up being a game changer in terms of vapor production and cloud density. But more on that later.

davinci-iq-review-765x430.jpg

Ceramic chamber and a Zirconia “Pearl” kept a precise and consistent oven temperature to ensure top efficiency.

DaVinci IQ Interface:
The DaVinci IQ can be used with or without a smartphone app. It’s important to note that you can fully use the device and all of it’s features with or without the app. Including precise temperature control, smart-paths and boost mode.

To turn the IQ on, click the main control button 5 times rapidly. The IQ will turn on on smart-path mode and start heating up. You can use the up or down buttons to select one of 4 smart paths, that are customizable. To switch to Precise temperature mode, click the control button once and set a temperature.

Holding down the main control button will activate boost mode and it will heat up rapidly to the maximum temperature.

Smartpath vs Precision mode:
Smartpath- the IQ features 4 smart heating profiles. They are pre-set but can be changed and configured via the smartphone app. Using the smart paths you can set the IQ to start at a certain temperature, then heat up to another temperature over the course of selected time, and then repeat the process again. So you can create an entirely customizable heating profile according to your vaping style and preference.

Precision mode: In “precision” mode, you set the IQ to a constant temperature. It will heat up to this desired temperature and stay there for the whole session.

DaVinci Smartphone App:
After pairing your IQ with the free smartphone app, you can customize the four smart paths and change the settings to match your preference.

In my example, I quickly created a unique, 4 to 5-minute session. I set Smartpath number four to start at around 414 F and heat up to 417 F over the course of two minutes and then climb to 419 F over the next three minutes. I can also rename the heating profile and call it- Huge Clouds up being just that. Save it, and now I can select and use it. The IQ will tune into the heating profile I created. The progress of the session is easily tracked via a graph in the smartphone app. You can see the timeline vs the temperature level.

Filling the chamber with dry herb:
Open the lid at the bottom of the IQ to expose the chamber, and fill it up with herb. You can use the supplied oven tool to help you pack it, and make sure it is nice and tight. Loading the IQ was very easy and the ground herb just slides right into the oven. Once the oven is full, close the lid back on, the Zirconia Pearl will seal the oven, and the IQ is now ready to use.

DaVinci IQ vapor quality
Vaping with the IQ was absolutely a pleasure. The vapor quality was outstanding, and I was amazed by the amount and density of the vapor the IQ produced. I like the extended mouthpiece better than the flat one, it provided cooler vapor and overall a better experience. Playing around with the smart paths was a fun experience and allowed to customize my experience and experiment with different heating profiles. My “Huge Clouds” smart path did not disappoint and produced some of the thickest vapor I ever got from a portable vaporizer.

davinci-iq-vapor-765x430.jpg

Choice of flat of the extended mouthpiece (both made from Zirconia). I liked the extended one; it keeps the vapor cooler.

DaVinci IQ efficiency
After my session, I emptied out the oven to check the material and see if the IQ did a good job in extracting all the active ingredients. And as I expected the material was completely brown and dry. It seems like the Pearl did exactly as it should and helped an even, consistent heat during the session.

Bottom Line:
No matter which setting I used, the IQ performed like a champ. The Vapor was rich and flavorful, and I am truly impressed with the IQ in every aspect. If you are looking for a sleek and stealthy dry herb vaporizer, the DaVinci IQ is a great option. DaVinci has been known to make premium devices and seems like the new IQ is not an exception. It has everything you can ever want in a vape from precise temp control to pure flavor, and a 10-year warranty from a very reputable company. The IQ is also priced at a premium $275.99 from DaVinci just like other high-end units as the PAX 3 and the Firefly 2.If you are out to buy a portable dry herb vaporizer right now, the IQ should be one of your first choices.

The IQ is simple enough to be used by a first timer and is powerful enough to satisfy the most demanding and experienced users. Great device and highly recommended.

da-vinci-iq-review-765x430.jpg

Last edited:
Great postings..... I'm also impatiently waiting for the IQ, but one thing I would still like to know, is..... The app control, and I haven't found any information on this.... Does it go on the net and spill the beans after attempting harvesting whatever usual personal information, geolication, etc. that it can ferret out, and likely sells/shares this info with the Devil knows who..... Anyone "knows"....?

It's not a deal breaker, the merest whiff of hanky panky and just don't use the app......Beware!

I'm assuming with the present volume of US legal state of affairs, plus the addition of the fresh out if the oven dollop of California et al, that there will be a mad scramble from the large canna corporations that will undoubtedly emerge, to collect consumer data.... Getting access to folks vaporizers seems only logical....

I'm also assuming, no doubt completely wrong...
sarcasm.gif
, that vaporizer manufactures will be more than eagerly willing to pad their bottom lines with the fruitage of some pecuniary data sharing....

Last edited:
Great postings..... I'm also impatiently waiting for the IQ, but one thing I would still like to know, is..... The app control, and I haven't found any information on this.... Does it go on the net and spill the beans after attempting harvesting whatever usual personal information, geolication, etc. that it can ferret out, and likely sells/shares this info with the Devil knows who..... Anyone "knows"....?

It's not a deal breaker, the merest whiff of hanky panky and just don't use the app......Beware!

I'm assuming with the present volume of US legal state of affairs, plus the addition of the fresh out if the oven dollop of California et al, that there will be a mad scramble from the large canna corporations that will undoubtedly emerge, to collect consumer data.... Getting access to folks vaporizers seems only logical....

I'm also assuming, no doubt completely wrong... View attachment 657373, that vaporizer manufactures will be more than eagerly willing to pad their bottom lines with the fruitage of some pecuniary data sharing....

Can never truly know for sure in this day and age when it comes to data collection and sharing, but am putting my faith in DaVinci this time round as they are a pretty long standing and solid name in the vape scene for a while now.

From what i have been reading the app is not essential in many functions anyway, and is only really used in adjusting the temps and times in the smart path options, so literally once you have got it set up the way you want it can disconnect the app and never use it again till any tweaks or adjustments are needed.

Hope your IQ gets here soon and looks forward to seeing it up in action ;)

So I played with the app sans the IQ..... It won't work unless you register and it instantly crashes without fail when entering settings..... On a Note 3 with android 5.0.....Perhaps this won't happen where there's actually an IQ present..... And perhaps I'll live to be 501 years old too.....

So I played with the app sans the IQ..... It won't work unless you register and it instantly crashes without fail when entering settings..... On a Note 3 with android 5.0.....Perhaps this won't happen where there's actually an IQ present..... And perhaps I'll live to be 501 years old too.....

Managed to get it to register here with a LG G5 on 6.0.1, requests GPS location persimissions to make use of Bluetooth 3.0 features as well as standard Bluetooth permissions, cant any further than the screen that lets you name your device though as it just keeps on searching for a unit.

Salutations Spanglish,
Salutations Corgy,

...LED interface... ... ...customizable... ... ...preserves its purity and aromas. ...will not cook... ... ...Zirconia “Pearl”. ...reflect more heat into the chamber...

...Precise temperature mode... ... ...boost mode... ... ...4 to 5-minute session. ... ...heat up... ... ...timeline vs the temperature... ... ...powerful enough to satisfy the most demanding and experienced users.

Hummm... That sounds like some optimistic conclusion, i'd be curious to see what's inside now!

:eyebrows:

Is there a convenient/suitable location where to drill a "PinHole" à la VapMan??

Can never truly know for sure in this day and age when it comes to data collection and sharing...

Does it go on the net and spill the beans...

They do already collect and share data with partners, anonymously it is claimed...

Quite my own interrogation as well. :pop:

...won't work unless you register...

I'd have wished (for the benefit of others than myself, essentially) that the code was GNU Linux or something along those lines.

:weed:

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Just a quick update, order is still marked as "Awaiting Shipment"due to the back log on pre orders, but have been as good as promised that it will be shipped by the end of this week or the beginning of the next, now just got to wait what the thieving customs service try to squeeze from me for importing outside of the EU.

On a side note i am happy i ordered when i did as due to the unstable USD exchange rates after that joke of a election, the € value has been jumping all over the place with yesterday being the worse with a near on €10 increase on the unit price, which has stabilized to only €5 more than what i paid for it and this does not even include the €55 sales tax that was added during the cart so god know what that will be as the dollar fluctuates dollar tanks more even more, until the US market stabilizes which under the current situations could be god knows when or never, i wont be using US business any longer like i have done with most UK based business also due to the financial Brexit fallout, am also sure it wont be long before other consumers realize the same implications and cut out purchasing from these companies, hopefully the government's realise they have shot themselves and local businesses in the foot playing these games,but won't hold my breath on this one.

Last edited:
So, what kind of wait are people seeing on average between placing their order for a Davinci IQ and having the unit actually shipped to them?

Back