Status
Not open for further replies.
Prep shot
72d38e540ef66df77ad00811a854b338.jpg

Has any of my fellow stoners ever taken an interest in shortwave radio?

It's something I tend to cycle in and out of. A very interesting thing to play with.

And expensive. A decent radio will set you back hundreds. If you want to really build a strong fixed station, we're talking thousands.

But.... There is a certain allure to it. The ham folks are usually very quick to deploy to areas where a disaster has occurred. They can quickly establish reliable and life-saving lines of communications in areas where the local infrastructure has been obliterated. All it needs it the ability to send and receive some electromagnetic waves, and the planet does the rest to carry the signal along.

I have not gone after an operator's license yet, mainly because it requires (or at least it used to) a thorough knowledge of how everything works - electrical engineering level stuff. You used to also have to know morse code, which makes sense.

But the really fascinating part... numbers stations. Remnants of the cold war that still operate today. A specific frequency, at a specific times, suddenly starts broadcasting some weird message. Could be a series of numbers, maybe some weird phrase.. just weird stuff. All cloak and dagger stuff, and the perfect medium for someone to dig into that is into shadowy government stuff.

So far as I know, no government, or official agency thereof, has ever acknowledged that they were behind these broadcasts.

Here's a cheesy video that is a reasonable introduction to the subject, and they showcase the online radio I am linking here as well.

And here's the "radio". It's a genius idea, and it works well. Make sure to explore it. With the mouse pointer over the "waterfall" you can zoom in or out of the spectrum with the mouse wheel and a drag left or right will move the frequency window up and down. Hover the mouse over the tuning marker, and the mouse wheel will fine tune the receiver. Check out the tabs near the bottom to play with the settings, and if you provide some arbitrary "name" I think you can bookmark stuff you've found.

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

And to get an idea of just how deep the rabbit-hole goes, give this a watch.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
anyone any ideas ?

please tag @Raoul Duke in
cheers:pass:
:pighug:
Could be a type of flea beetle...there are quite a few different types,1 teaspoon of neem oil in 1 litre of warm water with a drop of washing up liquid can be used to spray soil..
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back